Hornady LNL AP Press Set Up Hints and Tricks, Complete Video Series

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 76Highboy, Apr 18, 2013.

1. coatessey

coatessey New Member

Definitely a big thank you for the videos highboy. Quick question though in your video you state to use emery cloth for the base plate, etc. Will just a fine grit emery cloth do the trick or should I pick up some 1500 grit sandpaper?

2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member

Be careful... be very careful. Once you drink the blue coolaid you will never go back.

Highboy

3. PlanoAttorney

PlanoAttorney Well-Known Member

I still think the LNL is the right press for my pistol reloading needs and I did consider the 650 pretty hard. But make no mistake, I am on the hunt for dies in blue boxes and have other brands to trade.

And for the record - ask anyone with a Forrester Co-Ax and it will be clear, there is Red kool-aide too. I know, I have some.

76Highboy likes this.
  4. 76Highboy

Forester? Excellent product. In a league of their own.

Highboy

5. aubiecat

aubiecat New Member

Thanks 76Highboy. I don't even own this press yet but I already know exactly how to set it up and get it running because of your videos.

76Highboy likes this.
  6. 76Highboy

You are very welcome and thank you for the comment. make sure you tell us how you like it. Highboy

7. BMcken

BMcken New Member

76Hboy, I wanted my first post on firearms forum to be to say thank you for the LNL AP videos. After watching your series, I purchased the press a few months ago. Side note: Still waiting on my free bullets! Lol. Your series really helped me make the red or blue choice so thank you. I haven't read through all 22 pages on here yet but have watched a lot of your other videos, another thanks to you for turning me on to inline fabrication and plastixrevolution, but seems you moved on to the blue press. I hope you still are replying to LNL AP questions. I am having an issue when dialing in my powder measure...when running the same case up several times dialing in or confirming charge weights the case neck is getting crushed making a mess and wasting$. I set up to click at the top and bottom as you point out in video 4 and I believe I have the right sleeve chosen but I could be wrong!?! All the other small issues that have came up I was able to work through but this one keeps rearing its ugly head. I would really appreciate your input on this or maybe a video of others have experienced issues of this type (selecting the correct sleeve, how to confirm charges, etc.) the hornady manual is is a little light on the sleeve selection imho.

76Highboy likes this.
  8. 76Highboy

I no longer

I no longer own the Hornady but from memory you need to adjust the powder measure upward. It is not high enough so therefore crushing the case. Let us know if this helps.

Yours truly,
    Ann Landers

drymag likes this.
  9. 76Highboy

Your welcome.

Highboy

10. skip.fla

skip.fla New Member

15003138123951441397478.jpg Thanks 76Highboy for all the hard work putting these videos together. I watched them twice and followed your tips. I put together my first 100 rounds of 40 s&w, there were a few hiccups but overall it went smoothly.
    Thanks again
    Skip

drymag likes this.
  11. Carrier

Carrier Member

Skip its a great press contrary to what some say.

drymag likes this.
  12. Old Ron

Old Ron Well-Known Member

When I grow up I want as neat & clean reloading room just like Skip's
    :) ( hey it could happen ! )

drymag likes this.
  13. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A suggestion would be to add a thin hard shim just under the primer punch so the bottom of the punch doesn't dig into your base making a divot. Eventually you may end up w/ the punch not pushing the primer fully into the pocket. I called Hornady and asked them to mail me one and they did. It measures about: 0.064" X 0.880" It's not a lead slug, but it looks and feels different like that but darker. It didn't effect my operation. It may effect the older Hornady's but I could be wrong. I don't understand why Hornady doesn't have a pre-drilled hole and a hardened stainless plug isn't place there to prevent that issue.

76Highboy likes this.
  14. 76Highboy

I 100% agree. It is a great press other than that. For my press it was too late. I would have kept it otherwise.

drymag likes this.
  15. Carrier

Carrier Member

I never had the divot issue as I put a hardened strip of steel there from the beginning. Have a friend who didn't and had a very deep divot in his. Filled the hole with an epoxy, sanded smooth, glued a .010" feeler gauge over it and works like new again. No issue with timing or other such nonsense.

drymag likes this.