Hornady loader needs help with .223 Double feeds

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Denverloader71, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Denverloader71

Denverloader71 New Member

Need help with a problem I'm having with my reloaded .223 causing double feeds. I also tested factory Federal 55gr ammo and had NO PROBLEMS. I just replaced my extractor in the bolt so that shouldn't be the problem and again no problems with factory ammo. I'm kinda new to reloading on my LnL progressive from Hornady.

Any ideas on what I'm potentially doing wrong with my brass prep or reloading? The first few shots go ok but then I get a double feed. Brass is not ejecting correctly. Remember: No problem ejecting and feeding factory brass AND I just replaced my extractor in the bolt.

Step 1: Clean/Tumble
    Step 2: Lube and Deprime/Resize with Hornady Die
    Step 3: Measure and Trim
    Step 4 : Swage (with Hornady Swage Die) and Clean Primer Pocket
    Steps 5-7: Prime, Drop Powder, Seat Bullet (Hornady Dies)

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Don't really know what could cause it. What is the over all length of your reloads?

3. vassago

vassago Well-Known Member

What charge and what bullet are you using?
    If at the low end of the loading table you could try upping the charge a bit and see if that helps.

shootbrownelk likes this.
  4. Firedog

Firedog Well-Known Member Supporting Member

VT, Just under the Nostril of the Witches Nose
    Sounds like your shooting a AR of some type. What you are saying it is picking up 2 new rounds out of magazine and trying to load both?

Powder charge? Like Vassego to light of charge. I check my charges every 6 or so and twice. Once on beam scale once on digital. My LNL seems to throw pretty darn accurate loads but I still check.
    I have not started to reload 556 on LNL yet, not set up for rifle stuff. When I have reloaded for AR I used single stage, only ever neck sized never full sized and can not remember ever having a problem, same case same rifle.

shootbrownelk and TreeDave like this.
  5. zant

zant Well-Known Member

Are you using a headspace gage?
    Are you trimming to 1.750?
    What powder-AR gas system prefer powders in the 23-27gr range.
    Are you using a Lee FCD?

6. TreeDave

TreeDave The Ole Gun Crank Supporting Member

my guess? make sure the rounds are all the way in the back of the magazine.
    After firing a couple or a few rounds check see if the cases have moved forward in the magazine.
    The magazine may be damaged or worn

shootbrownelk and BlackEagle like this.
  7. Avirginian

Avirginian Active Member

Sounds like a weak powder charge and not cycling fully. Stick powders can do that in a progressive press.

8. Denverloader71

I'm using some 55 gr varmint projectiles and loaded 24 grains using Hodgdon H335 (ball powder).

The other batch was same projectiles using stick powder from Midsouth Shooters called Shooters World Precision. Data on loading ranges was harder to come by but I think pdf file from manufacturer says that range can be anywhere from 18 grains to 25.3 (which seems like a wide range). My two batches were loaded at 22 grains and 23 grains.

I think two people have mentioned powder charge. Maybe I'll try a batch at 24.5 grains or 25.0?

Thanks, I was thinking that it could be that. Maybe I'll try bumping up my loads a full grain to around 25gr. The Shooters World Precision powder is stick so maybe needs more. I'm a bit new so wanted to err on the side of lower charges but from what I understand, each AR is finicky and likes things a little different than another AR. I did notice that the rounds I was shooting had much less recoil (which I liked) than the factory ammo so maybe the factory stuff is loaded at a higher grain thus no problem cycling. Thanks. I'll report back when I get that done.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2018
    shootbrownelk and BlackEagle like this.
  9. Denverloader71

No not using a headspace gauge. I need to learn more about that. I thought it had something to do with how deeply you seat the bullet.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2018
  10. TreeDave

TreeDave The Ole Gun Crank Supporting Member

23-24 gr is not really a low pressure load?
    What do the cases look like when they are fired?
    You said you replaced the extractor. Why?
    If the chamber is dirty or rough the cases could be sticking, causing the bolt to slow down during extraction,
    Just another thought?

11. Avirginian

Avirginian Active Member

A headspace gauge will tell you if you've bumped the shoulders back enough for proper chambering.
    Their site says it's similar to Varget and Hodgdon's site lists several different bullets. You might want to look at that.
    I am not a big fan of stick powders in a progressive press unless you use it to get near your load and the trickle up to the exact load but that sort of defeats the advantage of a progressive, but that's just me.
    H335 is a very popular powder in 223, but I haven't used it.

shootbrownelk and TreeDave like this.
  12. Denverloader71

The old extractor looked like it had been damaged and broken away. Not full length and was not doing the extraction job. Seems to work fine with factory ammo just not with my reloads.

Thanks I'll have to look into the head space gauge.

Really appreciate all the advice. I'm gonna try a larger load and see if that helps. I'll report back when I get it done.

Yes trimming to 1.750 sometimes shorter. Do you think if it's shorter that would cause problems with extraction?

What is an FCD by the way?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2018
    howlnmad likes this.
  13. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

It's a crimp die that Lee makes. Instead of using the mouth of the case to crimp it squeezes the the neck. Uniform case length is less important.

BlackEagle likes this.
  14. zant

zant Well-Known Member

When I use H335-I load at 25gr-Hornady manuals are LOW charges.Loaded cases of ammo with that charge.I mainly use 748 in my .223/.556 rds-1/2gr under max is 47Kpsi.
    You replaced extractor-what color spring was there and is the Crane Labs donut there?
    What buffer weight are you using?

15. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

The SW Precision Rifle is intended for .larger calibers with heavier bullets. Think of it as Varget, in .223 it will work better with 69gr and heavier bullets. For 55gr you should use their Tactical Rifle or Match rifle powders instead as those are comparable to BLC-2 and RL15

Denverloader71 likes this.