The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Premium Member
Ruger, Glock, Weatherby, Colt-Sauer, Browning, Winchester
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Premium Member
438 Posts
I have 30 of these that I use in conjunction with the Hornady lock rings. Been using them for 4 1/2 years. Never have had a die loosen in use. I wish my Lyman All American 8 could use these, but the 8 stations are bored and threaded directly in the turret head…so nothing but bare dies will work. Edited to correct auto-correct.

· Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have been using them for a long time, with a single stage press a absolute must have! beebad is there a lock nut on that die? i have holders i found on the evil site that make storage a dream.

rick
Yes a lock nut. But since the bushing is round , hard to get good purchase to tighten. What evil site?

· Registered
192 Posts
When your die is locked to your bushing you can twist the whole unit into the station with a grip on the die.

Reactions: mudman35962

· Premium Member
4,568 Posts
Amazon.com : Hornady 044099 Lock-N-Load Conversion Kit : Gunsmithing Tools And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

I have a set of ten.
On some dies I think It works pretty well.

Today on .223 the sizing die would loosen.
I am not sure if anyone else experiences this. I like the system. I would not want to be screwing the dies in every time.
Loosen where? the die loosen in the lock load bushing or the bushung and all loosen out of the top of the press/?

To hold all my dies I bought Inline Precision stuff. here is a picture of the bracket and holders
Shelf Musical instrument Shelving Wood Vehicle

· Premium Member
23,415 Posts
Loosen where? the die loosen in the lock load bushing or the bushung and all loosen out of the top of the press/?

To hold all my dies I bought Inline Precision stuff. here is a picture of the bracket and holders
View attachment 283260
So Firedog how does the Monopoly game fit into your reloading operation? ;)

· Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

View attachment 283260
The die and bushing I would notice was loose or the press handle had changed slightly in force needed. I think the LnL bushing should have some kind of texturing so you can tighten it down..Mine are smooth. Perhaps a notch and a tool.

I have a lot of in line fab stuff! Do you have the die rack labeled? I digress.

· Premium Member
438 Posts
The die and bushing I would notice was loose or the press handle had changed slightly in force needed. I think the LnL bushing should have some kind of texturing so you can tighten it down..Mine are smooth. Perhaps a notch and a tool.

I have a lot of in line fab stuff! Do you have the die rack labeled? I digress.
I’m trying to picture what’s happening with your bushings. If you tighten the die lock ring into the bushing it shouldn’t back out, however, that may only work with the Hornady lock rings. On the other hand, the bushings have an O-ring on the bottom which compresses when you cinch the bushing into the press. So again, it should back out.
Naturally, there’s always that mysterious scenario that no one envisioned, resulting in your scenario.

· Premium Member
4,568 Posts
I’m trying to picture what’s happening with your bushings. If you tighten the die lock ring into the bushing it shouldn’t back out, however, that may only work with the Hornady lock rings. On the other hand, the bushings have an O-ring on the bottom which compresses when you cinch the bushing into the press. So again, it should back out.
Naturally, there’s always that mysterious scenario that no one envisioned, resulting in your scenario.
Orings that come with bushing compression just after few uses or they are just to small from the beginning. I picked some up that are a few mm larger and haven't had a bushing come loose since I did that.

· Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Orings that come with bushing compression just after few uses or they are just to small from the beginning. I picked some up that are a few mm larger and haven't had a bushing come loose since I did that.
Ok….It is annoying when they loosen slight during an operation. Thank you.

· Registered
29 Posts
Ok so you have o-rings on each individual die bushing? My set only came with 1 o-ring on the press bushing itself…this may be why I’m having the issue which was going to be my initial question for you guys: Has everyone else noticed that when using the Lnl bushings, at the apex (absolute top) of the stroke, the die and die bushing lifting up approx 1/8” or so out of the press bushing? I can’t say it’s been the cause of any particular problems or whatever but it also doesn’t sit right with me and just doesn’t seem acceptable. Especially considering the tolerances and operation you expect from a single stage press as opposed to other types with moving parts and dynamic operations. Has always been there from day one. Using an RCBS Rebel.

· Premium Member
4,568 Posts
Ok so you have o-rings on each individual die bushing? My set only came with 1 o-ring on the press bushing itself…this may be why I’m having the issue which was going to be my initial question for you guys: Has everyone else noticed that when using the Lnl bushings, at the apex (absolute top) of the stroke, the die and die bushing lifting up approx 1/8” or so out of the press bushing? I can’t say it’s been the cause of any particular problems or whatever but it also doesn’t sit right with me and just doesn’t seem acceptable. Especially considering the tolerances and operation you expect from a single stage press as opposed to other types with moving parts and dynamic operations. Has always been there from day one. Using an RCBS Rebel.
yes each bushing has a o-ring. But the factory ones are marginal so I watched videos from "HighBoy76" I believe. This guy is amazing, he goes through everything you need to do to get it running. In one of his videos he puts it out there the size of O-Ring you need so it stops loosening up on you.

HighBoy76 had videos on you tube and he moved over to UGETUBE. I had them all saved but it looks like my links are bad now

Hornady LNL AP Press Set Up Hints and Tricks, Part 6

· Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
YES. I SHOT A 10 sec video showing this but cannot upload it. i am using a RC2.this must affect the precision. this has to be the compression of the O-ring. Here is the video. Gilderoy shared 1 video with you
i just wrote hornady.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts