The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
Ruger, Glock, Weatherby, Colt-Sauer, Browning, Winchester
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
I'll ask this again.
At the top of the stroke. The QD die “locks“ or tightens as you turn it clockwise and the o-ring acts like a lockwasher to provide tension to hold it in place. When it is compressed, the die wants to return to ground state and loosens Up by a little on every upstroke.

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,306 Posts
So the bushing is moving up with the up stroke of the ram. That is normal. If your dies are adjusted correctly it shouldn't matter. The ram is going to stop where the bushing stops.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
RESPONSE FROM HORNADY:
This movement is common with the bushings as the o'ring is all that is holding this locking tension. However it is possible that your female bushing in the press head is beginning to get some wear into it from the locking lugs. Most of the time this movement is taken into consideration during the setting of the dies. However if the dies are backing out that would more indicate the wear of the lug face. Thanks

RIDICULOUS: I have only been reloading since maybe May, I fergit. I bought 10 then and another 10 in September.

·
Super Moderator
31,841 Posts
I mean that reloaders today are so worried that it takes 10 seconds to change a die out and they don't have that much time to screw one out and one in that they need the new fangled easier/quicker way. Then it has issues.
My dies are all set up with lock rings. In the box with the dies is a note to what press and shell holder they were set up in. It takes less than 10 seconds to change one out.
You wanted the easy way, you gotta pay the price somewhere. Your dies are flexing, which is what you're complaining about , mine don't.

Simple point; if someone is in that big of hurry, use a progressive press, not a single stage.

You say that you're wanting to construct precision ammo but your set-up has to many variables.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I mean that reloaders today are so worried that it takes 10 seconds to change a die out and they don't have that much time to screw one out and one in that they need the new fangled easier/quicker way. Then it has issues.
My dies are all set up with lock rings. In the box with the dies is a note to what press and shell holder they were set up in. It takes less than 10 seconds to change one out.
You wanted the easy way, you gotta pay the price somewhere. Your dies are flexing, which is what you're complaining about , mine don't.

Simple point; if someone is in that big of hurry, use a progressive press, not a single stage.

You say that you're wanting to construct precision ammo but your set-up has to many variables.
Yes and no. Thanks for responding!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts