The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks!

I wrote to the techs at Hornady Ammunition with the following, and the answer is below question:
-----------------------------------------
Question:
Dear Hornady engineers,

I am questioning the validity of your .357 Magnum Critical Defense FTX round, for the following usage.

I do not own a revolver chambered for this round. I am a senior American and a disabled military veteran of SouthEast Asia and the Cold War. I have purchased a Rossi Model 92 16-inch barreled levergun, designed as chambered - .357 Magnum/.38 Special. The Rossi manual says "to use jacketed ammunition".
My questions are:
1. Will the FTX designed hollowpoint bullet still function as advertised, or will it 'explode' on impact, as some gun board forum posters have stated?
2. Since in your posted YouTube videos, your spokesperson stated that the cartridges are designed on a different par, what kind of muzzle velocity/energy data would I be working with, when using the rifle?

Answer:
Would not recommend the Hornady .357 Magnum Critical Defense ammunition being used in a Rossi M-92 .357 Magnum caliber lever action rifle as the bullet could be compromised on impact. Recommemd the .357 Magnum 140 gr. FTX LeverEvolution ammunition instead or any of our Custom HP-XTP ammunition.

-------------------------------------------

Well, I am thankful that the techs provided -an- answer. They could have placed my question in 'the #13 galactic bit bucket'.

Hmm, 'compromised on impact', eh? I am comprehending that .357 Crit. Def. bullet, would work as well as, say, a .357 125 grain JHP would, from a rifle. Great on 'wolves attacking sheeple', or true coyotes.

Of course, these techs work for a well-named ammunition company, and must, protect their LLC employer from any miscomprehension of language, which would possibly engage the services of litigators.

OTOH, I, a sovereign party of one, having my own budgetary needs to acquire the most intrinsic value for my expenditures, and for my alloted funds to be disbursed wisely, must view the shaded reply of the tech, as another means to tell me that the product in question is crap, and not worth the expenditure.

What say, Ye?

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sounds pretty simple to me, rifles will give faster bullet speeds with their longer barrels, and the CD round is not designed for the speeds that rifles generate. May I suggest the Hornady 158 grain XTP bullets in your rifle. It is what I use in my pistols, and rifles.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
yeah prolly not the best idea to use a round designed for snub nosed defensive revolvers in a carbine. The bulets are constructed for reliable expansion at the much lower velocities the 2" barrel produces. By compromised the tech meant explode. The bullet would be highly frangible at the accellerated velocity of the longer length barrel. the 140 FTX in thier lever evolution would be Ideal for your carbine. As would any handload bearing a 158 gr or heavier XTP.

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
So are you trying to bash Hornady, or is there a valid point here? It seems the tech answered your question pretty straigh forward and even gave you advice on the correct ammunition to shoot. If he had given you any other answer then I would assume he would be accused of not knowing his probuct. Maybe you ought to get to know him personally because guys like him are valuable to have in our hobby and he would be a good guy to be able to pick the phone up and ask your questions in person. I have several names from the techs at Hornady and not only do they answer my questions but we kind of shoot the B.S. and have a good time. Remember, they are human too but they are good guys over there. Steve Hornady is especially a great guy and when I spoke with him last he told me that the guys that work for him are good old boys and from the jist of his statements his office door is an old fashioned door. It's a door that is open for his guys and they communicate very closely. Then after speaking with Jason Horanady one morning about product development I realized Jason is just like his father. These are good guys and their techs do their best. It seems like it is way too easy for people to bash a company like Hornady. Instead maybe you (the O.P.) should have called the tech back in person and inquired deeper and learned more and then you would have made a good friend over the phone.

One day I sent several bags of coffee over to the tech section of Hornady and after they recieved the coffee my phone was ringing off the hook with humble thanks. Those guys were so grateful. The next thing I know, a knife with the Hornady name shows up along with a Hornady shirt, and a Hornady cap, and I'll be darned, a pistol rotor for my powder measure with a big smiley attached onto it.

I am telling you, no one can tell me that Hornady service is not the best. Nobody!!! Also, all the reloading/ammo companies are top notch. Dillon, RCBS, Lee, Lyman, Forster, etc. These are great, great American companies and did not get to the top by not stepping up.

Is there any single automobile manufacturer that you can simlpy pick up the phone and inquire with a tech question? How about Microsoft or HP?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi folks!
I guess I "opened the door", when I wrote, "What say, Ye?", didn't I?

I think that I asked direct questions, and recieved guided questions for 'Grasshopper'.
There isn't one of us reading this whole thing, who are NOT human beings. (Although it is hard to convince me that certain bureaucrats and elected officials were not born of donkey.)

I was a tech once, but not in the field of ballistics. It is an earned brotherhood, likened to alchemists of old. "Hey! How does that radar thing work?" "F.M!" (In GIspeak, the second word is 'magick'.)

(Exit stage ..... l...e...f...t!)

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Im having a hard time following your 'style' so to speak. I have a feeling youre a person thats much more fun to talk to in person than online.

And to answer your sig line.. Goering carried the M&P because he was enamored with western arms, and didnt trust the semiauto pistol. Especially since the germans experience with semi autos at the time was with the overcomplicated toggle breech of the Luger and its predescessor in the borschardt. In fact the only half ass decent autoloader the had was the C96 broomhandle and at the time of goering it could only be had in .30 mauser, which was inferior to even the .38 spec in power and the pistol is huge.. Id a carreid the .38 over those choices too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.