HOT ISSUE ON GUN CONTROL...

Discussion in 'VMBB Fire For Effect' started by rooter, Apr 2, 2009.

1. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

A Gun Ban Gets Shot Down
    By Michael Isikoff | NEWSWEEK
    Published Mar 28, 2009
    From the magazine issue dated Apr 6, 2009

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is now the second member of President Obama's cabinet to get shot down by the White House over the politically sensitive issue of assault weapons. After meeting with Mexican President Felipe Calderón, Clinton said that reinstating the U.S. ban on assault weapons—which was passed in 1994 and expired in 2004—is one step this country could take to curb the flow of guns to Mexico's drug cartels. "These military-style weapons don't belong on anybody's street," Clinton told NBC. Within hours, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs told reporters that he was unaware of "any plans" to push for such a ban—even though Obama had backed one during last year's campaign.

Attorney General Eric Holder had a similar experience a few weeks earlier. After he endorsed a ban at a Feb. 25 press conference, Justice officials were instructed by White House aides to drop the issue, according to administration and congressional aides who asked not to be named due to political sensitivities. What's behind the shift? A budding relationship between the gun lobby and Democratic leaders on Capitol Hill. After Holder mentioned the ban, the National Rifle Association sent out action alerts to its members and bombarded Hill offices with calls. Sixty-five House Dems dashed off a letter to Holder opposing such a ban, while Speaker Nancy Pelosi—echoing the NRA's mantra on all gun-control issues—said she backed "enforcing the laws we have now."

NRA executive vice president Wayne LaPierre told NEWSWEEK that Hill Democrats have "learned their lesson" from 1994, when they enacted the ban and subsequently lost control of Congress. They've also learned that cozying up to the NRA can pay big dividends. Last year Democrats received 20 percent of the nearly $1.2 million that the NRA pumped into congressional campaign coffers—more than twice what it gave to Dems just six years earlier. The way things are going, this could be more than a shotgun wedding.

© 2009

2. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

SORRY...DON'T KNOW WHY IT DOUBLED UP CHIEF

3. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

And why is the NRA giving money to these idiots?

Yet another reason why I'm rethinking my NRA membership. What a bunch of retards. :mad:

4. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I thought long and hard between the NRA and the GOA. I joined the GOA. The NRA makes too many compromises. Yes, the NRA does a LOT of good, but I don't believe in compromising MY right to self defense.

As to the White House apparently not wanting a new AWB, Barry knows it most likely will not pass. Besides, why go through the political dogfight of more gun laws....just tax ammo out the a**, which is what I think they'll do next. That way, ammo is too expensive for people to buy, then they will have an easier time confiscating empty firearms later on:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: