The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a CZ Scorpion and I'm wanting to make some super hot loads to get as close to rifle ballistics as possible. Has anyone done this or have any advise? I understand it would wear the gun faster but I would only be shooting these in a SHTF scenario, not regularly.

·
Premium Member
10,534 Posts
Welcome to TFF. My advise would be to shoot whatever ammo the gun likes ie most accurate. That usually isn’t the “hottest” but you’ll be hitting what you’re aiming at. Truthfully I don’t believe you could push it fast enough to make that big of a difference.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Which length Scorpion did you get? There is pistol caliber carbine data available if you search for it. Usually, you can push a little harder in a rifle or carbine format since the longer barrel allows more time to build velocity.

·
Administrator
12,669 Posts
I doubt you will get many to go along with this scenario. Most will not post reloading data.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Vihtavuori has some pretty quick loads published with 3n37 powder, 1300FPS with a 115 grain up to 1200 with a 147 grain. In a PCC you will gain a lot more velocity because of the longer barrel.
If you are feeling bold look for 9mm major loads on the internet.

Getting close to rifle ballistics is never going to happen though.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
your gun, your life. Pushing that hard will only destroy your gun, usually be terribly inaccurate and may put your life and others in a dangerous place. If you want rifle velocity get a rifle,

·
Premium Member
14,026 Posts
And some folks think I'm nuts......and I've been loading for 59 years.....😁

·
Premium Member
14,026 Posts
That's different. In that regard I really AM nuts!!!....... 🤗

Reactions: Kosh75287

·
Registered
563 Posts
One of the HUGE impediments to better ballistics from PCCs is the that almost all of them are blowback operated. Keeping the breech closed for JUST a little longer helps SO much to direct more energy to sending the bullet forward!
The only "locked breech" PCCs I know of are the SiG MKX, a civvy legal MP-5, (maybe?) a PCC built on an AR-15 platform, the I-J 1911 Carbine, and a conversion kit for the 1911, the name of which escapes me at the moment. I kinda wonder what a 10mm or 9x23 Dillon I-J carbine might be capable of doing!

Back to earth, though, my (our) experimentation with a Hi-Point in 9mm was less than impressive. In weights from 115 to 147 grains, we managed to up velocities out of the 9mm class, but only barely into the .38 Super range, if all. Lighter bullets tended to have more improved velocities, and cast bullets in all weights did better than jacketed (go figure). This was before plated bullets became any kind of a thing in my circles, but I don't think much would have been different.
We used a VERY heavy recoil spring, and a VERY "bucholically engineered" gadget that (we're PRETTY sure) slowed the opening of the breech and probably saved the bolt a pounding on the back of the bolt. We also tried making 9mm cases out of .223 brass. They SORTA worked, but we couldn't get as much Blue Dot in them and velocities fell off badly. We tried W231 (yuck) and Green Dot, which was an improvement, but never approached the Blue Dot loads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts