The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been putting off buying a hot plate to maintain Mold Temps when casting Lead Bullets. Pam ordered on from Amazon for me today. it will be here on Thursday.

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
I have a job keeping my molds from getting too hot. Lots of guys use a hot plate but I never saw the need for one.

·
Premium Member
19,699 Posts
I have been putting off buying a hot plate to maintain Mold Temps when casting Lead Bullets. Pam ordered on from Amazon for me today. it will be here on Thursday.
Man jay, Pam is always buying you great gifts! If i'm lucky i might get a new pair of socks once in a while.:(

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
i tried that and found it little help. as sharps 4590 said gets too hot quick. aluminum molds are all i have, brass or iron may be a lot different. that hot plate sure would be handy keeping coffee hot though.
setting the mold on top of the melt pot and the first drop or two is usually all that is needed to get shootable bollets for me. others may get different results.
great thoughtful girl you got there, a real keeper!

rick

·
Premium Member
8,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seems like a waste of money to me! You already have the led pot that is hot and all you have to do is sit your mold on top of that pot!
I have been doing just that, I get tired of the clumsy moments when I bump the mold handles and the mold ends up in the melt. I an also use it for other projects in the garage/man cave.

·
Premium Member
8,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was $18 including Tax, free shipping with Pams Amazon Prime account, it will be here tomorrow along with Pams new Shaved Ice machine (Pam has never had a Hawaiian shaved Ice'

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
I'm confident it will as with most tools. Once you have it, you will find use for it. I just never saw the need for one for molds, iron, brass or aluminum.

·
The Ole Gun Crank
775 Posts
AJ..I have used one pretty much from the beginning of my casting adventure, I use a 2 burner that I got out of the scrap rewired it and it works great. It was for a Bunn coffee maker.
Not only does it preheat my molds it keep my cup of coffee good and hot in the winter when I am casting.

·
Super Moderator
28,989 Posts
I just lay my mold on the edge of the melting pot. Works fine for me.

·
Registered
459 Posts
You know... I'm surprised that one of the mold manufacturers hasn't produced something that you could set your molds on that would be adjustable and keep it at an exact temperature.

·
Premium Member
8,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That would be a good thing! the one problem would be expense! With the exception of some lee molds the price point of molds is rather high, and there would seem to be a need for more than one depending on each Manufacturer. I will use my Infrared Thermometer to set the Hot Plat temp so the mold temp will match the lead temp. I know too complicated.

Reactions: Crpdeth

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have considered using a hot plate myself, but all of my molds are aluminum but one, and it heats up pretty quickly sitting on top of the pot. They all cast well, my problem is getting the aluminum ones too hot so I usually cast two pills in one session with the aluminums. But you are blessed 2A, my wife isn't interested in my reloading unless I bring it up to her.

·
Premium Member
8,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a 10 pound Lee pot and a Lee 4-20.At the moment I only have 3 Molds, Part of the Problem is the compact size of my Casting Bench, I had to put the Hot plate on a small table placed next to my Casting Bench.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts