House approves Nationwide Concealed Carry Reciprocity

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by firefighter1635, Nov 30, 2017.

1. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

So in essence you have multiplied reciprocity ....nice

howlnmad, carver and crystalphoto like this.
  2. ConcealedCarrydotCom

ConcealedCarrydotCom New Member

In order for California to opt-out they would have to do away completly with their permit program and any potential legal method somebody could carry a concealed firearm. Doing so would also be in violation of US Supreme court decisions. The same decision that forced Illinois to start issuing permits back in 2013. So I think your fear here is unfounded. In fact it would likely have the opposite affect. Since non-resident permits also work for this bill California would have a financial and gun grabber political incentive to make it easier for applicants to get CA permits. Otherwise all their residents will go get permits from AZ, UT, or VA and carry in California anyway.

Have your read Title II of the bill that was passed? The Fix NICS portion doesn't expand who would be disqualified at all. It only gives greater incentives for government agencies to be in compliance with reporting people to the NICS system... oh and it commissions a study on bump stocks.

Now what will happen to the bill when it gets to the Senate is still a little scary.

3. Kvasir

Kvasir Active Member

I'm not sure how this (if it passes the Senate intact) would impact a non-resident CCW.
    For example, if I had a current non-resident license in Vermont I could carry in Vermont but not in my home state of Illinois. But I believe the wording of the bill is something to the effect of "States must honor the permits of other state issued where the permit holder resides." (I'm going from memory, so that's not an exact quote) So would Illinois have to honor a permit issued to me by a State that I don't live in?

carver likes this.
  4. ConcealedCarrydotCom

The verbiage is that they must honor "a permit issued by A STATE." Both from the way it is written, and based on the interviews with the bill's author; its SUPER clear that non-resident permits would be as valid as resident permits anywhere for anyone.

carver and Kvasir like this.
  5. Kvasir

Kvasir Active Member

That's great news for us in Illinois! Thanks for clearing that up for me.

carver and ConcealedCarrydotCom like this.
  6. Rae Harrison

Rae Harrison Well-Known Member

7. Alaska444

Alaska444 Well-Known Member

This is an example of why I quit supporting the NRA quite a while back.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...eciprocity-passes-us-house-of-representatives

They write up a rosy picture of the fix nics legislation as well as the reciprocity bill.

They are gun owners AARP, who sold out elderly Americans for Obamacare support. The effect of these two bills is a monstrous Trojan horse.

Dont support them.

AaronW, Kvasir, Andrew Moore and 2 others like this.
  8. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If something sounds to good to be true, then it probably isn't good. I smell a rat in the woodpile

Broot, Alaska444 and firefighter1635 like this.
  9. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

Up around my parts it was called something a bit more controversial than a rat in the woodpile.

Broot, dons2346, Alaska444 and 2 others like this.
  10. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Well, I was trying to politically correct. Guess I should apologize to the rat community

11. bosun

bosun Well-Known Member

I would hope everyone (except the NRA) has heard about Schumer and Feinstein adding in their 'gun' bills? And this underhanded bit of politics allowed by our lovely Rino's...though haven't heard much about it lately. Maybe it will die in committee?

12. ConcealedCarrydotCom

They haven't added anything to the house bill that was passed because it was in the house and they are both in the Senate. When HB38 gets to the Senate that will be something to keep an eye on.

13. bosun

bosun Well-Known Member

Perhaps I'm confused. It happens with alarming regularity. The House passes their version. The Senate passes their version. Then they sit down together to finalize the bill that goes to the President for passing or vetoing..

14. ConcealedCarrydotCom

That isn't how it works. In order for anything to land on the desk of the President for signature it must be approved by both the house and the Senate... in the exact same form.

Meaning that if any changes are made to this bill in the Senate it would have to go back to the House to be voted on again before it goes to the President's desk.

So yes, we should watch it like a hawk and yes getting it through the Senate without some BS happening will be very challenging but NO; it can't be edited and then end up on Trump's desk without going back having been voted on by the Senate and the House in the same text/bill.

15. bosun

bosun Well-Known Member

Looks like we are saying the same thing (G) with different words..