How about a Twin engined WWII fighter comparo.

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by jbmid1, Mar 12, 2016.

1. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

Denmark also did a commendable job of protecting its Jewish citizens from NAZI persecution.

2. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

Another interesting fact about these two aircraft is that they were developed by two of the greatest aeronautical minds of all time - Jeffrey DeHaviland, and Kelly Johnson.

3. Huffmanite

Huffmanite Member

My father served in a A20 Havoc bomber squadron in the Pacific from 1943 till the end of WWII. He'd joined the army air corp a couple of months before Pearl Harbor and became his squadron's top sergeant in charge of the armorer section.....the guys who fused the bombs, loaded them and kept the machine guns working and loaded.

Anyway, late in Dad's life I asked him what was his favorite WWII military plane. He thought about it for a second or two and told me.....the P38.....it was such a wonderful plane to watch soar so gracefully thru the air.

By the way, in my Dad's collection of WWII pics while in the Pacific is a couple of Dick Bongs P38 when he spent time on their airfield chasing his record number of kills. Seem to recall his photo showed Bong to have around 24 kills painted on his P38.

4. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

My brothers next store neighbor was a P-38 pilot in WWII,I talked to him quite a bit and he showed me his pictures.I treasured talking to WWII guys in my life.He said for tall guys the canopy squnched thire head down.