How about a Twin engined WWII fighter comparo.

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by jbmid1, Mar 12, 2016.

1. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

Denmark also did a commendable job of protecting its Jewish citizens from NAZI persecution.

Iron Eagle likes this.
  2. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

Another interesting fact about these two aircraft is that they were developed by two of the greatest aeronautical minds of all time - Jeffrey DeHaviland, and Kelly Johnson.

3. Huffmanite

Huffmanite Member

My father served in a A20 Havoc bomber squadron in the Pacific from 1943 till the end of WWII. He'd joined the army air corp a couple of months before Pearl Harbor and became his squadron's top sergeant in charge of the armorer section.....the guys who fused the bombs, loaded them and kept the machine guns working and loaded.

Anyway, late in Dad's life I asked him what was his favorite WWII military plane. He thought about it for a second or two and told me.....the P38.....it was such a wonderful plane to watch soar so gracefully thru the air.

By the way, in my Dad's collection of WWII pics while in the Pacific is a couple of Dick Bongs P38 when he spent time on their airfield chasing his record number of kills. Seem to recall his photo showed Bong to have around 24 kills painted on his P38.

rooter and jbmid1 like this.
  4. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

My brothers next store neighbor was a P-38 pilot in WWII,I talked to him quite a bit and he showed me his pictures.I treasured talking to WWII guys in my life.He said for tall guys the canopy squnched thire head down.

jbmid1 likes this.
  5. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

After some recent reading, I found the P-38 was even more versatile than I knew. They would do bombing raids with formations of Lightning's when they wanted to use their speed to surprise the enemy. A couple of the Ploesti raids were done that way to beat the enemies smokescreen. One plane would have a glass nose w a bombardier & Borden bombsight, rest would follow.

6. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

Good Morning Sir from Arizona...My goodness, it has been more than a year since I posted that
    and told the grade school story about Major Bong coming to our little 6th grade class there in
    there in the farm community of Greeley Iowa for selling the war bonds and collecting junk for
    the war effort...have I greeted you before...that name doesn't register! Chief

7. Huffmanite

Huffmanite Member

Don't think so, but may have. Have been a member for a number of years, but I'm not a very frequent visitor. Had a log on problem for awhile.

FWIW, my father also had the "Lone Eagle", Charles Lindberg, on one of his Pacific airfields, when he was instructing the P38 pilots how to fly the plane to extend the fight time out of a tank of gas. Recall my Dad kinda chuckling when he told me Lindberg got in trouble when it was discovered he was going on missions with their pilots and engaging Japanese planes....may have shot down one or two of them.

rooter likes this.
  8. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

I love this thread

crystalphoto likes this.
  9. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member Supporting Member

10. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

Good Morning Sir....You mentioned Charles Lindberg of the gas-saving fame...I did the story
    rather related to the name Lindberg....This WWII navy man who had joined the navy early in
    the war at a false age of 14 and was called back during the Korean War...We Seabees knew
    the fellow as Lindy Mac...the title of the story down below in my story section is:
    THE HAUNTING OF LINDY MAC....Chief