The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I alert my fellow Okies to local gun auctions? These are estate auctions and requite no background checks. I say fellow Okies, because the firearm part is in person only.

I only follow one local auction site. But I don’t want to post a link to it if it might be considered spam. So I’m looking for feedback from the moderators

·
Administrator
11,869 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went to the auctioneers website and 4473's are required. That is for the background check. Most likely there will be a fee charged also for each firearm bought.

"ATF Form 4473 Required ( Provided at Auction) NO EXCEPTIONS!"

That is not the auction site that I'm talking about.
Oklahoma does not require a background check between private parties. From what they told me. an estate auction is a private sale. It might be a loop hole they are jumping thru, but i don't argue with them about it.

But one does need to check and see if they have a "buyers premium" .

Of course that might change after the 20th.

·
Administrator
11,869 Posts
Have you ever bought from a Licensed Auctioneer? I'll bet OK and the ATF requires a licensed 01 FFL be present to handle all firearm transfers. This is a public sale, not a private sale between individuals.

The last auction I went to, I had to fill out one 4473 for the background check, and pay a $20 for each of the 3 firearms I won.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you ever bought from a Licensed Auctioneer? I'll bet OK and the ATF requires a licensed 01 FFL be present to handle all firearm transfers. This is a public sale, not a private sale between individuals.

The last auction I went to, I had to fill out one 4473 for the background check, and pay a $20 for each of the 3 firearms I won.
They have been in business for generations, so I would say they are licensed and would not do anything to harm their business.

Now I can't remember word for word, but they said one is not buying the firearm from them, but from the owner of the firearm. The auction company doesn't actually own the firearm, so it's a private sell. Sounds like a loop hole, but I won't argue with them. These are estate auctions, sometimes "moving auctions:. Oh if it is a loop hole, don't expect the state of Oklahoma to close it.

I can guarantee you, there was no background checks for the ones I went to.

I do know at a "benefit auction " , the county sheriff bought a brand new shotgun and there was no background checks at that auction.

I was just trying to give my fellow Okies a heads up to some local sales.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Probably changes from state to state and type of firearm it is . Northeast and west coast states act like your buying a nuclear warhead and Oklahoma and Texas could probably walk around with a belt fed gun and be fine !!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Probably changes from state to state and type of firearm it is . Northeast and west coast states act like your buying a nuclear warhead and Oklahoma and Texas could probably walk around with a belt fed gun and be fine !!!!
I can pass a background check I just happened to call them to see how much the fee would be and how they handled it. That's when they told me what they did.

·
Super Moderator
39,828 Posts
I know that my favorite LGS is the place of choice for the few auction houses that I know of around here. If you buy a gun at an auction, you cannot pick it up until at least the next day so that the LGS can get it and enter it in their bound book, then you have to do a 4473 to get it.

·
Premium Member
9,863 Posts
Having moved from PRC to Oklahoma as you can imagine I’m in Hog Heaven. Haven’t figured out the gun laws here yet but needless to say they are relaxed to say the least. I’ve bought four or five guns since moving here 10 months ago. One was at a gun show booth and did not require any sort of check. I handed him $125 and he handed me a gun. It was an old H&R top break 32.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think we will see a push to require a background check for all guns, whether private or not.

Reactions: soonerfan66

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Guess every place decides what to charge . I had some money burning a whole in my pocket once and wound up buy 2 guns at different places and the 2nd one was way higher then first on fees .

·
Premium Member
9,863 Posts
Yes they do. In CA it was all over the place.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Think we will still be allowed to buy guns 😂 😂 😢😢 in the future ???!!!!!!
Sure, but it's a good thing I like single shot shotguns

1 - 19 of 19 Posts