How come....?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/3/02 12:34:35 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All How come....?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When I refinish M44 stocks I never know HOW they are going to turn out until they are done, and the BEST ones I start with seem to end up looking cheesy, and the RATTIEST ones I have little hope for end up looking nice?

I am currently working on three of them...one was near perfect, and actually didn't need it, but I repaired a crack so I decided a little sanding, some stain...

In the white it was smooth and neat...then I stained and the stain went on all goofy, some parts dark, some light, looks worse than it did before I started....may have to start over...

But then I had a REALLY ratty oil soaked one banging around in the utility room for two months, in wierd shape, solid but the grain was kind of raised, it was rough, lots of gouges, dings...marked 02 Hungarian but I pulled off an Polish...almost threw it out...but decided since I was working on two, might as well give it a shot....at least it was solid...

It sanded up REALLY nice, with one coat of stain so far it looks cool, grain is wildest, with the most contrast I've ever seen, probably the prettiest hardwood one I've done, probably will keep it for one of my 44s....

But it got me to thinking...how many other guys does this happen to? Until it's done, you don't know what it will look like...

And another thing, I've done about 10 or 12 M44 stocks so far, and except for the Polish ones, EVERY one had a different type of wood....some hard, some soft, some dark, some light, some dark AND light in the same piece, especially Russians....the Polish stocks are the most consistant stock to stock so far, some kind of really hard wood.
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/3/02 12:49:28 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: How come....?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    polish - could it be because the rattiest ones had the best stocks to start out with?

Maybe they are the original stock, never replaced, never broke because the wood was good quality.

Don't know but I'm discovering how strange it is myself - and I haven't even gotten to the stain part yet - got to figure out how to countersink a hole to try and repair one stock - just for shits and giggles.

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/3/02 7:26:40 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: How come....?
    Polish
    have you tried reducing the stain with something like lacquer thinner to allow for quicker/deeper penetration of the wood? another way of showing contrast on the grain is with a propane torch, have to be careful don't want to burn it just get the flame close enough to change the color, lightly sand and oil to really bring out the grain

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/3/02 9:23:10 pm)
    I know what you mean about the stocks - I've gotten to the point now where I don't refinish the ones that look half way decent - I just rub them down with fine steel wool and give them a boiled linseed oil treatment. I love to tackle the ones that look like they have been used for driving tent pegs - they always turn out looking much better than when you started! The one that suprised me the most was a laminated stock on a Russian M44 - it looked like a battered old dog, but it refinished beautifully!
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Moskovskyya
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/4/02 10:30:10 pm)
    polishshooter said...

Quote:

When I refinish M44 stocks I never know HOW they are going to turn out until they are done...

I wouldn't know about that one Polish, all mine turn out to be excellent adventures!

Seriously, have you tried the Parks Driveway cleaner? It can be acquired at Lowes. This stuff is formulated to "suck" oil out of concrete, you should see how well it works on oil soaked stocks. (contains TSP)

I recommend cutting it 50:50 with water at the beginning and label the bottle "Moskow's 50% stock cleaner" and use two or more cycles to get it a clear as you want. Subsequently, after you see how it works, work up to a stronger load.

IANACNDIPOOTV, but I think you'll like it. I find it better than oven cleaner and some of the other alkaline mixtures. If you don't get alkalines neutralized / throughly clean, the stock will turn green, or worse yet splotchy, (if that's areal word)?