The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 S/W 38 revolvers that I carried on the Police force prior to retiring in 2000. They are not 50 years old yet

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying. I was issued the weapons and carried them for over 20 years. I just want something saying that they are collectable, just for me. I plan on keeping them and would like some paperwork to go with them

·
Super Moderator
43,878 Posts
They would have to be either over 50 years old or possibly owned by someone very famous or as tucker said have historical significance. And even if over 50 years old and are still in production, they won't make the list.

·
Super Moderator
29,971 Posts
I believe that ANY gun over 50 years old is automatically classified as C&R-in production or not.
C&R is not for the purpose you want.
Actually, they are not. Take the AK for example, that and it's clones are not on the list

Reactions: carver

·
Premium Member
9,778 Posts
Thanks for replying. I was issued the weapons and carried them for over 20 years. I just want something saying that they are collectable, just for me. I plan on keeping them and would like some paperwork to go with them
What department issued .38 revolvers in 2000?.
I thought all departments went to semi autos in the early 90s.
Mike

·
Registered
17,651 Posts
Actually, they are not. Take the AK for example, that and it's clones are not on the list
"The List" is for guns that don't hit the fifty-year mark, but are added because of their "intrinsic collectability". It's usually on a gun-by-gun case.

True, an AK is not C&R. But originally all AKs were select fire, which makes them machine guns. There were no semi AKs made until after FOPA86 allowed military rifles to come into the country again. That was only 32 years ago, so there are no 50-year-old semi AKs.

Smith and Wesson still makes the M&P 38 revolver. A brand new one is not C&R. I, however, have one made in the 30s, one from the 40s and one from the 50s. All three are C&R.

·
Premium Member
34,531 Posts
Get a letter from the Dept. you retired from on the pistols, then get a letter from S&W on dates made, etc.

·
The Ole Gun Crank
775 Posts
Firearms automatically attain C&R status when they are 50 years old. Any firearm that is at least 50 years old, and in its original configuration, would qualify as a C&R firearm. It is not necessary for such firearms to be listed in ATF's C&R list. Therefore, ATF does not generally list firearms in the C&R publication by virtue of their age. However, if you wish for a classification of your particular firearm under categories 1 or 2 and wish your item to be listed, you may submit the weapon to the Firearms and Ammunition Technology Division (FATD) for a formal classification.
FATD/FTISB
244 Needy Rd., Suite 1600
Martinsburg, WV 25405

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you have an AK and can show it was produced over 50 years ago it is a C&R gun
but there are no semi auto AK,s made 50 years ago so any 50 year old AK's that are not fully auto have been modified. and to be C&R it cant have been modified from original configuration

Your service piece is a modern weapon no way around that.

·
Banned
1,299 Posts
it is either a colt or a smith and wesson, love to have it. sorry i didnt buy one when they were all sold off when every cop went semi auto. they were the best of the best. carried a old model of them in the service, shot the best group out of 70 marines with it. you could not miss with it. a well paced shot with a 38 special is as good as any heavier cal. trivia question. what gun scarred the germans soldiers the most. the 45 acp thompson full auto. the internet says it killed more german soldiers than any other gun. dont know if that is true but they hated that gun and the sound of it. i found it too heavy and prefered the BAR 30/06. MAN COULD I HIT WITH THAT. nothing got by me with that gun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Collectible limited edition special guns are on the list that are newer and not 50 years old but good luck getting gunshops or sellers to agree to take your lu ense for such guns.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Actually the AK is not a CR because of a specific executive order by Bill Clinton, which also outlawed the further importation of firearms from China just as a BUNCH of Korean War captured Garands and carbines were ready to be shipped...many full auto guns ARE C&R but still are subject to NFA...for instance, while I would have no idea how they would deliver it, as long as you had the proper NFA tax stamps, UPS could deliver a fully functional and armed M4A1(75) tank to your door...the bow, and coax m1917 .30 Brownings, the Ma Deuce on the AA mount AND the 75mm are all classed as C&R...(spend time with the CR list, it is a fun read!)

Like the US Model 1917 75 mm howitzer from WWI is a CR, but subject to NFA, the identical French Model 1897 75 mm howitzer is considered an antique, and can be owned and purchased by anyone, without a license! Now I don’t know where you would FIND an M1897, but it would be neat to have one!

And whenever you get into an argument with a rabid anti gunner, and they sputter the famous “Do you think you should be able to own a BAZOOKA?” You can do like I did and show them the CR list and say, “Uh, I already Can!, so you want to outlaw them TOO????” (Shuts them up quickly):thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts