The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm assuming the case wasn't lubed properly. But this has happened. .223 Lyman die. and it won't come out.

·
Super Moderator
41,693 Posts
The only case that I ever got stuck was a .223, there is a way to make your own stuck case remover but I don't remember what I used. Someone here at TFF posted on what to use, looked almost like the picture posted but using a large washer. After I got mine out I bought one of the things that Smoke showed you and it works great because I have NEVER had another one stick!!!!!!!

·
Registered
17,345 Posts
My stuck one was also 223. I bought the RCBS stuck case remover, and it took it right out, and I've never stuck another one so it must also charm the sizing dies just by its presence. :)

·
Super Moderator
41,693 Posts
After thinking about what I said, I was wrong, I do believe I have had two stuck cases, with one being the .223 and the other a 5.7X28. In any case I have a "still in the package" stuck case removal tool to use if it ever happens again.

·
GUNZILLA
7,228 Posts
My stuck cases have been .223 as well. What I did was place the rim of the cartridge in a vise than use a second lock nut on the die and put them together and only turn one lock nut with a wrench until the die turn. Did it twice.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Premium Member
13,786 Posts
I went over 50 years without a stuck case then had 3 in two years. Guess it's age...lol! I made my own remover with a 1/4 X 28 bolt and a couple washers. All it takes is a drill and a tap and brass taps easy. Worked like a champ.

·
Registered
288 Posts
You may be able to use something like penitrating oil, take the decapper out, and use a pin punch and small hammer to punch it out from the top end. Or maybe put the shell bottom in a vise and pull it out that way. A little heat might work to but you dont wreck the die by warping it.

·
Super Moderator
28,373 Posts
You may be able to use something like penitrating oil, take the decapper out, and use a pin punch and small hammer to punch it out from the top end. Or maybe put the shell bottom in a vise and pull it out that way. A little heat might work to but you dont wreck the die by warping it.
He won't be able to pull the decapping stem out because the neck of the case is up in the die where it's sized down smaller than the expander ball. He'll need a stuck case remover.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
You get two crescent wrench’s and turn them in the opposite direction.There should be like a small nut that the top of the priming pin runs through at the top of the die.And there should be another place to put the other wrench at the top.The pin should drop out after the pressure is released that holds the pin in place.
If you don’t lube these .223 shells they do that a lot.
Then it’s easier to remove,that’s how I do it.I never heard of a tool.But the tool sounds like it would work better than how I do it.
1EABC695-B6A7-4637-8F8D-1E2FFD4F09F7.jpeg

Sometimes a very very gentle tap on the top of the pin is needed to drop the shell down.

·
Premium Member
13,786 Posts
Those are Lee or perhaps Hornady dies with the collet type depriming pin. It will not work on dies that have knurled nuts and where the priming pin itself is threaded into the die body.

Reactions: gdmoody

·
Premium Member
13,786 Posts
Since I have used an RCBS lube pad for 45 years without a stuck case, I'll just keep doing what works.
PS: lube sprays MUST be given time to let solvents evaporate.
Me too but, I must have let the pad get too dry and stuck 3 cases, dopey me. Since then I got a new pad, actually just turned the old one over, presenting a nearly new side. No difficulties since.

Reactions: howlnmad

·
TFF Chaplain
20,647 Posts
Since I have used an RCBS lube pad for 45 years without a stuck case, I'll just keep doing what works.
PS: lube sprays MUST be given time to let solvents evaporate.
Imperial Sizing Die Wax has always worked fine for me.

·
Super Moderator
28,373 Posts
Me too but, I must have let the pad get too dry and stuck 3 cases, dopey me. Since then I got a new pad, actually just turned the old one over, presenting a nearly new side. No difficulties since.
I rinse mine and add more lube to it, just like new.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts