How do I tell???

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/31/02 9:13:34 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All
    ezSupporter
    How do I tell???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What my Mosin-Nagant is? As in what country?

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

elzorro
    (7/31/02 10:45:44 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Here is a site....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ... that tells most of what you'll need to know about your mosin-nagant

www.mosin-nagant.net/

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/31/02 10:49:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Here is a site....
    Thank you!

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/3/02 11:53:51 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Here is a site....
    Sorry I wasn't here for you T...

IF it's dated 1943 -1948 it's Russian...

There supposedly are NO 1949s of any make, it it's 1950 on it is NOT Russian. (Although there are rumors they actuall MAY have made them later...)

If it's Polish it has an 11 inside and oval or circle on the receiver.

If it's Hungarian it will have an 02 on the receiver.

If it's Romanian it will have a two branched laurel wreath around the letters RPR, Romanian Peoples Republic, on the receiver.

If it's a Chinese Type 53, the writing of course will be in Chinese... (Plus it will have the number 26 somewhere on the reciever...)

If it's Russian, it will probably have the hammer and sickle inside a wreath on the receiver.

If you are positive it's Russian and it does NOT have the hammer and sickle on it but some other marking and is marked 1943, I'll give you $75 for it tomorrow.

"Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/4/02 12:02:25 am)
    Oh yeah, there's another way you can tell....SHOOT it.

If it is fun as hell to shoot and is pretty accurate too...it's either a Romanian or a Hungarian.

If it's fun as hell to shoot and is pretty darn accurate...it's a Russian.

If it's fun as hell to shoot and is pretty DAMM accurate, it's a Polish.

If it's fun to shoot but not very accurate...it's a Seller.

(No really, the bore is bad if it doesn't shoot well...I've had a few, but MOST are really accurate even for plinking, and it's not necessarily just the "dark" bores either, I've had some pretty ratty bores turn some nice groups, and shiny ones NOT.)

Oh yeah, if it's not fun to shoot, it's probably a Carcano...

(Gonna get the Carcanoheads riled at me now, yathink? )
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/4/02 12:02:54 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Here is a site....
    It's Romanian polishshooter - would of helped if I looked at the tag (sigh).

1954 and it doesn't look to have been rearsonaled - but it's still in reasonably good condition (wood needs a little work but not bad).

Don't be sorry - you've been busy.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/4/02 12:11:25 am)
    I have a SWEET Romanian I stumbled on at that Dunham's store last year, may be my best one. I haven't fired it yet, may not ever it's in such good shape.

I have heard they are almost as good as the Polish ones, but couldn't tell you for sure.

I've fired mostly Polish and Russians, and some through my Hungarian. I haven't fired my type 53 either.

Got the rototiller on New Years eve 2000 with the Hungarian though...