The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Lyman All American turret press, it has an old RCBS 4 die set for 38 special in it (all this stuff I collected in the early 80’s) I’m not sure how to use them. I’m guessing using the order I have listed below. I also included what is inscribed on top of each die.

1. RCBS 38 SP. SIZE #1 67 I assume it is for resizing but I can only get a casing about half way into it, then it gets really tight and more pressure would just crush the casing.
2. RCBS 38 SPEC. This one works nicely to de-prime and expand mouth slightly for seating bullet.
3. RCBS 38 SP. SEAT #67 It seats the lead at the proper depth. (but at this point the bullet is so loose in the case it can almost drop through to the powder???, is it because I wasn’t able to shrink the case back down with the sizer?
4. RCBS 38-357 TAPER CR. 74 Do I want to use a taper crimp for 38-357? When used it appears to shrink the open end of the casing down from the bullet to about ¼” up.

I assume these are not carbide dies but even with a light oil on the casing I can’t get it to resize the full length of the case—it would crush the case.

Any ideas… should I just deep six the old dies and buy a new 3 die set for it?
The All American is in great shape. Still using the old J type shell holder and it holds the case securely.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put enough pressure on a couple it started to wrinkle the side wall of the casing. Pretty sure more force would've crushed it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
You need to re-adjust your de-prime/expanding die to reduce the amount belling (expansion). You want to bell the case, just enough to start the bullet. As X-ring said, you need to use case lube. If this is an old die set, it is probably not carbide and requires case lube. You don't need to replace those dies. Carbide dies are nice, so if you decide to replace anything , replace the sizer die. The rest should serve you well.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
It's possible that there is something stuck in your sizer die. Do you have a small pen light to look down into it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts