The Firearms Forum banner

How do you BLT?

7K views 43 replies 27 participants last post by  JLA 
#1 ·
So I'm almost 36, and last year was the first time I've ever had a BLT.

I know, weird huh. But I grew up on the Cali coast where it doesn't get hot enough to grow your own tomatoes. I hated tomatoes. These hard red things from the store. Gross. So after moving 3 hours east to a hot climate, my wife and me started growing tomatoes and other stuff. Now I can't get enough of the damned things.

So I'm on a Blt kick. I'm trying different things on them. I love to experiment with food. My favorite is with avocado and cheese. MMMMM.

Last night I made one with (diced and warmed on a flat top) jalapenos. Oh my, how tasty.

So what do you add to yours? Or am I the only one to mess with a classic?

#2 ·
Toasted white bread. Not wheat, not multi-grain. Nothing healthy. White bread. Not none of that "sandwich sliced" square stuff either. The real thing.

Miracle Whip. I know a lot of folks say mayo, but the little touch of sweet does wonders.

Put it on both pieces of bread. Saw someone t'other day describing a BLT and he only had the mayo on one slice.

Two slices of bacon, done but not crispy. Torn in two, giving four pieces.

The bacon has to touch the Miracle Whip. I know of people that put the bacon in the middle, between the lettuce and tomato, but the salty of the bacon grease mixing with the sweet of the Miracle Whip grease.

Iceberg lettuce. Yes, there are better lettuces out there for salad. I prefer spinach in my salad. But for tacos, burritos and BLT, iceberg is the way to go. I think it's the crunch.

The tomato. Sliced between 3/8 and 1/2 inch thick. Crosswise, not lengthwise. The bigger the better. Perfect would be one slice of tomato that covered the entire piece of bread, but two smaller slices will work. If you need more than two slices you need to give up until you get a bigger tomato. The tomato also must touch the Miracle Whip, which means the lettuce goes in the middle.

So, white bread toast, Miracle Whip, fresh-ground black pepper, four half-slices of bacon, lettuce, tomato, pepper, Miracle Whip, top slice of white bread toast.

If you really want to be putting on the dog, slice it in half, corner to corner.

#5 ·
durn, I just ate lunch and you have made me hungry for a BLT! guess the diet will go bust today!!!

#7 ·
Toasted white bread
Lettuce
Tomatoes fresh from the garden
Mayo
"LOTS" of bacon

On a side note I grew up in the midwest, Kansas and Missouri and never had a corndog until the Navy took me to Japan when I was 21, they were pretty popular there.

#9 ·
Toasted white bread. Not wheat, not multi-grain. Nothing healthy. White bread. Not none of that "sandwich sliced" square stuff either. The real thing.

Miracle Whip. I know a lot of folks say mayo, but the little touch of sweet does wonders.

Put it on both pieces of bread. Saw someone t'other day describing a BLT and he only had the mayo on one slice.

The bacon has to touch the Miracle Whip. I know of people that put the bacon in the middle, between the lettuce and tomato, but the salty of the bacon grease mixing with the sweet of the Miracle Whip grease.

Iceberg lettuce. Yes, there are better lettuces out there for salad. I prefer spinach in my salad. But for tacos, burritos and BLT, iceberg is the way to go. I think it's the crunch.

The tomato. Sliced between 3/8 and 1/2 inch thick. Crosswise, not lengthwise. The bigger the better. Perfect would be one slice of tomato that covered the entire piece of bread, but two smaller slices will work. If you need more than two slices you need to give up until you get a bigger tomato. The tomato also must touch the Miracle Whip, which means the lettuce goes in the middle.

So, white bread toast, Miracle Whip, fresh-ground black pepper, four half-slices of bacon, lettuce, tomato, pepper, Miracle Whip, top slice of white bread toast.

If you really want to be putting on the dog, slice it in half, corner to corner.
This is pretty close. I say double the bacon...and not too crisp! The tomato as you've discovered is key. A huge Brandywine plucked from the garden not more than 5 minutes before slicing.

All the additions you've made to yours are no doubt delicious, but they are sandwiches.

A BLT has bacon, lettuce and tomato :)

#10 ·
Growing up we were poor. With five in the family, could not afford 4 strips of bacon on a sammich.

#15 ·

Dang Alpo, your making me hungry. But, double the bacon and it has to be extra thick. Then, it may sound weird, but put some lay's potato chips on it and it will be over the top. Lastly, a nice cold Pepsi with that. ;)

#19 ·
well BLT sandwiches are hate speech

guy here fined $3000 and threat of 6 months gaol for calling gay folks BLT's GBLT being the national body

so now the recipie is changed

dont slice your ingredients , MINCE em

they mince enough by themselves in most cases

#20 ·
It really doesn't matter what kind of bread, whether you take Mayo or Miracle Whip, two strips or 4, just toast what you have, slather on a little lubricant, slice the tomatoes, lay the bacon on thick with a little greenery, and ENJOY! I am so gratified that the owner of this thread finally was able to savor the flavor. Good Show, sorry it took you 30 something years to get here.

#23 · (Edited)
A friend is a maint guy for a local restaurant chain, well freezer was going to go bad, company decided to give all the meat away.

Well I have 40+ pieces of that big cut restaurant bacon now in our freezer.

NEXT, BLTs! Ummm, mmmmm. Some tomatoes getting nice and red now.

Also eggs cooked in bacon, can't wait. :D (oh he has some sausage too)

#24 ·
Nice lean thick cut bacon
Fresh crisp iceburg lettuce
Fresh ripe tomatoes from the garden
Mayo
salt and pepper
white toast

Never mess with a classic :eek:
Yep - though I do like to make them on a nice fresh white bread thin sub roll also :) Used to make them for my daughter all the time when she was figure skating. With the sub roll they were easy to wrap and easy to eat next to the ice. Granted - I made my own sub rolls for this! Was always nice to put a slice of Edam cheese on them too!.

#26 ·
Growing up we were poor. With five in the family, could not afford 4 strips of bacon on a sammich.
We couldn't even afford the bacon! Just mater smmichs for the most part. Today, I can afford the bacon, so I pile it on! And I make mine the same way you do! Miracle Whip, the bread spread! It was the only salad dressing we had growing up. I just recently tried some Tony Chachere's Creole Sandwich Sauce. While it was good, it just don't work on a BLT. Great for everything else!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.