The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the boxed ammo on my storage rack, the rounds stored loose in .50 cal ammo cans, and empty vs. loaded magazines.
I'm wondering how you store ammo? How do you take it to the range? Do you store WTSHTF ammo loose in a gasketed can like I do? Do you have locking ammo cases for use when traveling via FOPA rules [anybody modified military cans to lock?], Do you recommend long term storage in the original cardboard, or loose?
What are the group's thoughts?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I use a lot of GI cans as well as ammo bags I make outta cordura and webbing; keep loose rounds in them mostly, but some stuff like .22 LR I keep boxed up inside the cans or bags.

I've got a large pelican case that is my range box, I throw everything I need for the day into it to go shoot.

Also use cardboard boxes for some of my bulk mil-surp stuff, same ones they came packaged in. Taped up well, they are pretty secure. I'm also working on building wooden crates to better transport/store some of my ammo, keep it from getting battered around and make it easy to store/stack.

Loose or cardboard boxes both, whatever it comes in is what I usually stick with.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I'm looking at the boxed ammo on my storage rack, the rounds stored loose in .50 cal ammo cans, and empty vs. loaded magazines.
I'm wondering how you store ammo? How do you take it to the range? Do you store WTSHTF ammo loose in a gasketed can like I do? Do you have locking ammo cases for use when traveling via FOPA rules [anybody modified military cans to lock?], Do you recommend long term storage in the original cardboard, or loose?
What are the group's thoughts?
Some of it is stored in the guns. The rest is in a couple drawers near the gun(s) it's for, and on the gun belt for my Blackhawk. My range is out my back door so no problem there. :D

·
Super Moderator
28,006 Posts
In magazines, in ammo cans, in storage boxes, in my night stand drawer, on the shelf in the kitchen, in my pick-up glove box, in the box on the 4 wheeler, I have ammo scattered all over the place.

·
Registered
18,030 Posts
if I bought it bulk in ammo cans.. it stays there. if I bought it boxed.. it stays in the box ( or a mag ) :)

and these are then safely stored out of reach of most people.. ;)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Generally I keep my ammo in military ammo cans, both .30 and .50 cal. When I go to the range I rarely shoot much less than a can of anything, so I just pick up a can (or two) of whatever I'm going to shoot and off we go.

If the ammo originally came in cartons, I leave them in cartons. If on clips, then they stay on clips until I'm ready to shoot them. I don't see any reason to transfer ammo from clips or cartons to bags or keep it loose so I don't know exactly what I've got.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I keep my ammo in the plastic ammo boxes you buy at most sporting goods sores. Most of it is in 50 round boxes but my .223 and.40 are kept in 100 round boxes. I decided on this because the boxes are uniform and I can store them better in my ammo locker. They also stack neatly in my ammo bag for trips to the range or out hunting. I just wish I could figure out something a little more solid for shotgun shells. Those flimsy cardboard boxes just don't take much abuse.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I use the metal, and the plastic, ammo cans. I also use the 50 - 100 round ammo boxes. Hundreds of rounds in magazines, ready to go, as well as stripper clips. Most of my ammo is in 25 - 30 quart size plastic sotrage boxes. They are stackable to three, or four, boxes high, depending on the weight in the box. Going to the range isn't something I usually do, as I mostly just shoot out in the yard. But if I am going to a rang, I have a large leather bag that I carry my ammo, targets, spotting scope, and all the things I might need at the range.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts