The Firearms Forum banner

How does my first 20 in rifle look?

2K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  Big Mak 
#1 ·
Working 2 weeks ahead of my phased schedule (Hey, they give me 8 days of holiday pay over Xmas, what can I say? :) )

Which is mine? A or B? (Freedom munitions is the other)

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
600 pieces of 90% LC and 10% misc 223 brass all ready for the next big load after test fire but first!.....its off to San Diego for a college recruitment sports tournament -5 days 68 degrees- with 17 year old (*he's already recruited to Colorado Mesa U with an athletic scholarship but he's been with the same lacrosse team since 6th grade(

Full range report on these 20 sometime in Jan.

Might I add, I'm only 1/3 through resizing and removing mil crimps on all the mil brass! Good gravy! This is real work! :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!

#11 ·
Just a different means of cleaning brass. All the rage at the moment but evidently it has some advantages.

#12 ·
I just do mine different. I got into wet tumbling last year. The way I do .223 is:

Shoot it
resize/deprime it
chamfer/deburr it
Wet tumble it
use Dillon to load it as usual but skip the resize deprime because it is already done

On the .45 ACP, I use a universal depriming die and then clean them (wet tumble) and then just run them through the Dillon as usual but just don't deprime.

#17 ·
Others will have to tell you Mak, I still use corn cob media and am ignorant of the wet tumbling other than I know it exists and more than a few guys like it.

I'm not against trying the new stuff but what I have works and has worked for 40 or 50 years, besides, if I buy new "stuff" it takes away from my firearm purchasing funds. I'd rather have a "new to me" old rifle as a new tumbler...:D

Reactions: Big Mak
#20 ·
Here is the part of the .45 I did this afternoon/evening. The firs one is right after I dumped them into a wire strainer and the other is a few that I had dropped into the baking soda rinse. I put them into the strainer and run water over them and then drop them into the baking soda for a few minutes to counteract the Lemishime (citric acid) in use while tumbling.
Metal Brass Household hardware Collection Ammunition
Dishware Amber Serveware Brass Smoking accessory

#24 ·
They look good Mak.

Something to think about, that I didn't realize until after I built my first AR. The next time you buy primers, look for CCI 41. They're designed to be used with the auto feed floating firing pin. Next time you go to the range, chamber one like you mean it. Then without firing, eject it and look at the primer. You will most likely see a dimple where the firing pin contacted it. The CCI 41 has a slightly harder (or thicker) cup to prevent slam fires.

Reactions: slayer
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.