The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had and still have some expensive (in my mind) handguns and long guns. I have Dan Wesson, CZ, H & K, Sigs, and other not a brag has taken some time to acquire the guns and I am grateful that I was able to buy, sell, and trade for the guns I want. I like good guns, we all do, so we buy the best for us, no problem. What really ruffles my feathers is that every month or so it seems a new gun is on the market, claiming the best accuracy, best all-around the epitome of gun markers art. I say B.S.
Most of the "Gun Markers" are still working on J.M. Browning's designs. How much engineering does it take to buy components from different barrel makers, frame makers, and so on to arrive at 1911/2011 or some other clone?
I just read an article on an Ed Brown Vanguard 1911 based gun, priced at only $4495.00 and can shoot 1.81 inches at 25 yards, handheld with a rest.

Next up is the new 2011 Staccato P model cost: $2399.00. Accuracy 1.92 inches @ 25 yards. A ransom rest was used.
Next a CZ Shadow 2 cost: $1300.00. accuracy .762 inches @20 yards handheld with a rest.
Next a Kimber R 7 cost: $600.00. accuracy 3. 2 inches 20 yards handheld no rest
My point is that the accuracy of the pistol is not a direct result of high dollars spent. While three of the examples used a rest of sorts I want a weapon that is accurate in a real-life situation and dollar for dollar the lower-priced weapons fare very well in my opinion.

Bragging rights are just that, brag, what I want from my money is the best most accurate weapon I can find, be that a Glock or an S & W model 19. My weapon remains concealed most of the time, so an Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, or a SCCY comes down to handheld performance.

Just my monthly rant.

Larry

·
Administrator
13,292 Posts
I don't understand why people think they have to spend a couple thousand bucks to buy a good 1911. With CNC machinery, good pistols can be made for much less. It's like a 1911 isn't a 1911 unless it is a Colt. All in a name.

·
Super Moderator
43,357 Posts
I have a Colt 1911, I have a Sig Sauer 1911, I have a Ruger 1911, I have a Thompson 1911, I have an ATI 1911, I have a Citadel 1911, I have a Taurus 1911 and a couple more 1911s that I can't think of right this minute. I have paid over $1000 and as low as $299 for those 1911's and they all shoot the same. It ain't the gun that shoots, it is the person holding the gun!! You pay $4000 for a gun and all you do have is some sort of self perceived bragging rights, and it makes me think of a Shania Twain song - "It don't impress me much".

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't have thousands of dollars to throw down for a top of the line firearm. Can pistol like that be more accurate and easy to shoot? I've fired a Staccato on the range before so I don't doubt there is truth to that.

Regardless, my best hope is to train with what I have and be as accurate as I can be with that. I'm not going out to win any contests.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Every handgun I own is plenty accurate for anything I want to use one for.

I see some 1911's in the $5,000 range............... IF I am using one to make a living - maybe!!

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I don't care much for a name. Names are overrated and expensive. I don't shoot paper and I shoot one handed. Groups mean nothing to me. As long as I can hit a Coke can more often than not at 25 yards I'm happy. I doubt my hit to miss ratio would change whether I used a Les Baer, a Wilson Combat or a Rock Island. I want my next 1911 to be a Tisas.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Here lately, I like to make cheap guns more palatable to shoot. I started on a Phoenix Arms HP22A removing the stupid magazine safety on Sunday. Tomorrow, I might put a spring kit in it. It probably won't be accurate, but it's a small pistol. It's a cheap pistol. In the end, I get my kicks out of making a gun more pleasing to shoot than actually shooting it at times. Nervous energy, I guess... :unsure:

I start to get really hesitant to buy a handgun as the price approaches $600, so that probably means I won't own any of the really nice ones you mentioned in the original post and I'm okay with that.

·
Registered
202 Posts
For a CC handgun, if I can keep a full load inside of center mass at intended ranges, I'm good with that, reliability is more important to me. I've carried a 1911, since the 70s, right now, due to surgery I had to switch over to a 38 revolver, a 25+-year-old Rossi, that has never failed to go bang, and is more accurate than my 1911. When I heal up a bit more, I may switch my loads to 357 mags and keep the 45 in the truck. the name means nothing to me, I only need as accurate as I am, and it has to go bang and be tested.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
I dont pay any attention to the latest flavor of the month, it never ends. I dont even own a true 1911, closest I have is a Para Ordanance 1911 that has a double stack mag. Probably the most fun I have had is with my GSG 1911 22lr, spent a whole $230 bucks for it. I actually prefer polymer striker fired pistols (Sigs and Springfield's) and revolvers. My 9mm pistols get more use than any of my 45's.

I guess you cant blame the manufactures they need to keep generating new sales and there is a large part of the population that want the latest and greatest, whether it be a phone or a new gun. I buy most of my guns from the used racks, the older I get the older the guns I tend to buy are.

·
Premium Member
5,699 Posts
My philosophy on the price of CC pistols is simple. The cheapest gun that is reliable & I can shoot & hit what I'm pointing at less than 6 feet away. Most encounters that result in gun play occur a distances 6' or less. Any further than that brings legal issues about where the threat is & your responsibility to avoid deadly force. Also, & perhaps primarily, using deadly force will most likely result in your loss of the weapon, if not permanently, at least for a long time. Guns tend to get lost or damaged. I'd just as soon lose a less expensive gun.
In my experience most CC guns are not fun to shoot. Small & light usually means more recoil so I shoot my CC gun just enough to maintain my proficiency & confidence in its reliability. They may even be more prone to excessive wear from many rounds put through them because of the kinds of materials that make them smaller & lighter.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've been a competitive shooter since the mid '70s and accuracy is important to me because I can use it (I didn't say I was any good!). I want to know if the shot "there" was me or the gun.

The worst I ever bought was a S&W M&P from their (lack of) Performance Center. It was lucky to give a 4.5" group at 15 yards. Not hardly what I would call competition ready, but that was how it was billed. I spent more than the gun was worth rebuilding it and today it'll shoot. I used it for years AFTER the rebuild. Before the rebuild it was just garbage. It's understudy, the M&P 9c is my EDC. It's accurate enough for the job.

I fondled a Walther PPQ Match and fell in love. Took it home and it shot these tiny groups at 25 yards. Lovely. Nice gun. But right after that switched to shooting a PCC in competition. So the lovely PPQ is a safe queen. Oddly, the rebuilt M&P is sitting right here next to me as I type. It and I have thousands of rounds spent and I trust it, and the rebuilt trigger is really good.

Probably the most memorable handgun I ever fired was the SIG P210. It was a pussycat to shoot and superbly accurate. I'd have bought one but at the time I didn't have the $. I saw one recently, modern manufacture, and it is still a superb handgun. I can buy it, but I can't use the iron sights. So BOHICA, just 40 years later than firing one for the first time those decades ago.

I love the 1911 and won't have one that's inaccurate. I have a mess of 'em. Even a 1911 with a bad trigger is better then most triggers in the plastic wonderguns today. The PPQ comes really close to being a 1911 trigger and one of the reasons I fell in love with it.

Edit: None of my 1911s are custom.

But for real accuracy I fall back to the Contenders and Encores. They'll shoot incredible groups at ranges you wouldn't believe with cartridges that are also unbelievable. Or they did when I was younger. Their triggers are even better than the best 1911. Back in the day production Contenders (and barrels) weren't all that expensive from what I remember.

·
GUNZILLA
7,775 Posts
My most expensive gun I carried was a Springfield 1911 black stainless, bought at a gun show for under $900. Now it is a Smith and Wesson 686+ also under $800.
My other firearms all less expensive than the two listed above shoot equally as well, I think it is all on the shooter , I can easily miss the side of a barn with a 3000 dollar gun or a 300 dollar gun. To answer your question I will not pay for accuracy but will pay to acquire what I want regardless of cost.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Composite material Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
20,481 Posts
I use a S&W Shield for EDC. Small, lightweight, and easy to carry. I have a Colt Defender that is much nicer but I would hate to see that in an evidence locker. I do like nice guns and have some Colt 1911s. My Rugers are almost as good. If a rifle or handgun isn't reasonably accurate I am not interested. I haven't bought a new gun in 2 years. This ammo shortage has stopped me.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
My two most accurate handguns, are not my most expensive.
Air gun Trigger Wood Couch Picture frame

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,439 Posts
I don't believe I own a gun that isn't inherently more accurate than I can be. My eyes are going, my hands shake more than they should; I no longer strive to buy accuracy, because it won't help. I need more work than any of my guns. And I'm working on that.

That being said, I have a cheap 1911 from a popular clone maker in the Philippines that I bought to practice trigger jobs. It turned out that the trigger was better than most USA-made 1911s, but the barrel fit was a bit sloppy. So I bought a Wilson barrel and have been slowly hand fitting it to make the bushing-barrel interface as perfect as possible. With that in place, along with the existing excellent barrel-slide engagement, I expect this to be one fine handgun, despite my own inadequacy.

During the time I worked in the LGS, I think I've met a half dozen shooters who could truly claim to make use of all of a gun's built-in accuracy, though most claimed that their misses were the gun's fault. That's almost never true. I can't now, or in the foreseeable future, justify spending thousand$ for a gun more accurate than I can shoot. To my thinking, knowing the gun you own and shooting it often will put you on target every time; the key is to get enough practice to be able to factually claim that you know it. I'm ashamed to say that my guns have been to the range with me just twice in the past few years, once in South Dakota, and once in Pullman, WA. Life just keeps getting in the way of what I want to be doing. I suspect that's true for a lot of us.

But to answer the original question, I'm not going to pay more than $600 - $800 for a handgun until I've honed my skills enough to make use of that level of accuracy. Heck, I can take out the heart and gut of an aggressor from 25 yards with a High Point or Taurus; who but competition shooters have a need for more?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've been a competitive shooter since the mid '70s and accuracy is important to me because I can use it (I didn't say I was any good!). I want to know if the shot "there" was me or the gun.

The worst I ever bought was a S&W M&P from their (lack of) Performance Center. It was lucky to give a 4.5" group at 15 yards. Not hardly what I would call competition ready, but that was how it was billed. I spent more than the gun was worth rebuilding it and today it'll shoot. I used it for years AFTER the rebuild. Before the rebuild it was just garbage. It's understudy, the M&P 9c is my EDC. It's accurate enough for the job.

I fondled a Walther PPQ Match and fell in love. Took it home and it shot these tiny groups at 25 yards. Lovely. Nice gun. But right after that switched to shooting a PCC in competition. So the lovely PPQ is a safe queen. Oddly, the rebuilt M&P is sitting right here next to me as I type. It and I have thousands of rounds spent and I trust it, and the rebuilt trigger is really good.

Probably the most memorable handgun I ever fired was the SIG P210. It was a pussycat to shoot and superbly accurate. I'd have bought one but at the time I didn't have the $. I saw one recently, modern manufacture, and it is still a superb handgun. I can buy it, but I can't use the iron sights. So BOHICA, just 40 years later than firing one for the first time those decades ago.

I love the 1911 and won't have one that's inaccurate. I have a mess of 'em. Even a 1911 with a bad trigger is better then most triggers in the plastic wonderguns today. The PPQ comes really close to being a 1911 trigger and one of the reasons I fell in love with it.

Edit: None of my 1911s are custom.

But for real accuracy I fall back to the Contenders and Encores. They'll shoot incredible groups at ranges you wouldn't believe with cartridges that are also unbelievable. Or they did when I was younger. Their triggers are even better than the best 1911. Back in the day production Contenders (and barrels) weren't all that expensive from what I remember.
My P210 is easily the most accurate 9mm I own. Made in 1954. I have yet to find anything made in the last 70 years that comes close in that caliber. Now .22 is another story.
Tool Rectangle Font Knife Wood

·
Registered
401 Posts
my 686 and EPM 9mm 1911 are the most accurate hand guns I have ever fired.
now my custom made (gun manufacture I won't mention) was a piece of garbage
it was sent back 9 times for repairs everything from the trigger falling off to it going
full auto.
if you want to know what gun manufacture I'm talking about ford makes a car with the same name
and Gillette makes a razor with the same name.

every gun manufacture is capable of making quality firearms in the sub $800 range and gun manufacture
are capable of making absolute garbage for 2k and higher.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts