The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,039 Posts
I've owned 2, 1911's. I couldn't tell you what the first one was. The second is a Springfield Armory 1911-A1. Rock stock and shoot as good as I need a 1911 to shoot. The only 9mm Parabellum I own is a P-38. I've fired 1/2 a box of ammo through it and it's more than adequate for the purpose intended. I can't tell you a thing about the rest of the plastic or alloy alphabet soup semi auto's flooding the market today.

When it comes to revolvers, yes, I believe the extra money is worth it. It's been proven to me more than once to my satisfaction. I've owned a bunch of S&W's, Rugers, Colts and Colt clones, the errant Taurus and Armenius and probably a couple others I've forgotten. Some of all makes of them have been pleasingly accurate. Some...laughable comes to mind. None, absolutely no single one of them exhibited the quality of manufacture or out of the box accuracy with factory ammo my Freedom Arms Mod. 97 did and does. I struggled a bit finding a handload it liked with my favorite bullet, the 255 gr., RCBS, KTSWC. However, with a hot loaded, 300 gr. hard cast, RNFP over a forgotten charge of 296 it would clover leaf at 25 yards, if I did my part. I don't know what it would do out of a Ransom Rest.

I doubt I'll spend as much for a revolver again as I did that one 20 years ago but, if I wanted the best revolver I wouldn't hesitate to write the check. It might be just me but I wearied of cheap or good enough a long time ago....which are a lot different from value and adequate.

Reactions: Bigdog357

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Bought a used Colt Commander at a gun show for $300 25 years ago. She was not perfect but in good shape. Reliable but not a target gun by any stretch. Spent $20 on a NM bushing that required hand fitting and a”group gripper“ link. Took a couple hour to get it to function with the NM bushing. It is mopc( minute of pop can) at 20 yards. If a person has the money and wants to spend it on an expensive pistol that’s 😎 but practical accuracy can be found much cheaper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I dont pay any attention to the latest flavor of the month, it never ends. I dont even own a true 1911, closest I have is a Para Ordanance 1911 that has a double stack mag. Probably the most fun I have had is with my GSG 1911 22lr, spent a whole $230 bucks for it. I actually prefer polymer striker fired pistols (Sigs and Springfield's) and revolvers. My 9mm pistols get more use than any of my 45's.

I guess you cant blame the manufactures they need to keep generating new sales and there is a large part of the population that want the latest and greatest, whether it be a phone or a new gun. I buy most of my guns from the used racks, the older I get the older the guns I tend to buy are.
Same here. I'm switching much of my time looking for old lever and bolt action guns.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have had and still have some expensive (in my mind) handguns and long guns. I have Dan Wesson, CZ, H & K, Sigs, and other not a brag has taken some time to acquire the guns and I am grateful that I was able to buy, sell, and trade for the guns I want. I like good guns, we all do, so we buy the best for us, no problem. What really ruffles my feathers is that every month or so it seems a new gun is on the market, claiming the best accuracy, best all-around the epitome of gun markers art. I say B.S.
Most of the "Gun Markers" are still working on J.M. Browning's designs. How much engineering does it take to buy components from different barrel makers, frame makers, and so on to arrive at 1911/2011 or some other clone?
I just read an article on an Ed Brown Vanguard 1911 based gun, priced at only $4495.00 and can shoot 1.81 inches at 25 yards, handheld with a rest.

Next up is the new 2011 Staccato P model cost: $2399.00. Accuracy 1.92 inches @ 25 yards. A ransom rest was used.
Next a CZ Shadow 2 cost: $1300.00. accuracy .762 inches @20 yards handheld with a rest.
Next a Kimber R 7 cost: $600.00. accuracy 3. 2 inches 20 yards handheld no rest
My point is that the accuracy of the pistol is not a direct result of high dollars spent. While three of the examples used a rest of sorts I want a weapon that is accurate in a real-life situation and dollar for dollar the lower-priced weapons fare very well in my opinion.

Bragging rights are just that, brag, what I want from my money is the best most accurate weapon I can find, be that a Glock or an S & W model 19. My weapon remains concealed most of the time, so an Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, or a SCCY comes down to handheld performance.

Just my monthly rant.

Larry
Ummm... I've a single shot pellet piston, .22 cal, that will put each shot on a dime at 25 & it cost about 60 bucks. A .22 NEO that's lousy at feeding but same gig if I'm holding right & it went for around $300.Only my shorties don't match up but you get that from a 1 - 3" barrel. Back in the 80's I enjoyed shooting beer bottles at 80 - 100 yards with my .44 mag Ruger, free hand. If the gun's a work of art I could see paying but a shootin' gun? B'sides, if you ever have to shoot someone you're likely to lose the gun.

·
Premium Member
15,039 Posts
Boy, I'm glad I don't live where some of you do. Around here the only reason you'd be likely to lose your handgun would be if there was some action filed against you by the PA. If the shooting is deemed justified no action would be filed and you wouldn't lose your handgun. It might not be that way in the cess pool cities but I don't live there. Out state, you aren't going to lose it.

My better handguns aren't likely to be ones I'll be carrying anyway. That isn't what they're for.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts