The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
shooting a .308

1 never having had formal training, what is concidered a good group at 400 yards? 1 inch....10 inches?

2. how important is brass? does it make a lot of differance in accuracy?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
That's a very subjective question. It's much too vague and there are too many variables to even try to give you a answer that would make any sense.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Gunny is correct. There's much to be figured out first.

Which cartidge is the right one for that rifle? They each have their favorite. Have you sighted the rifle? Sight at 25 yds. then at 100 yds. Once you've verified the sight is accurate, and you have the correct cartridge, give it a go. I'm not familiar with the drop for a .308, but, I'm sure it can be found in the ballistics information for whatever cartridge you use.
Then, account for wind, ambient temperature, humidity... you get the idea.

Having said all that, I have placed a 4 shot group at 3" from 400 yds with my .270
That rifle likes a 150 gr Winchester Power Point cartridge best. It has zero drop at 400 yds and is dead on for 2 magazines. After that, they tend to spray a little. Let it cool down and it's good for 5 or 6 more. But, I know this, so, it's not a problem.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Get real basic first.

What gun?

What scope?

How will you be shooting? From a solid bench with rests or off the hood of a truck?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having said all that, I have placed a 4 shot group at 3" from 400 yds with my .270
That rifle likes a 150 gr Winchester Power Point cartridge best. It has zero drop at 400 yds and is dead on for 2 magazines. After that, they tend to spray a little. Let it cool down and it's good for 5 or 6 more. But, I know this, so, it's not a problem.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Ok then. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Another member posted this video, and I like it, it works! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA2PZBD5Tjg

Minute of angle says that if you are shooting a 1" group at 100 yards, and nothing changes, then you will be shooting a 4" group at 400 yards.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Sub minute of angle is any group under an inch at 100yds,
2" @ 200yds.,
3" @ 300yds.,
4" @ 400yds. and etc..

·
Registered
570 Posts
How good is good enough is up to you and your needs. MOA wont win any competitions, but will put food on the table all day long. Whatever makes you happy and suits your needs. If you want the 1 hole groups, MOA is a disappointment, but a starting point. There are really no magic loads that will shoot 1 holers in every rifle but there are a few that will hold MOA un MOST rifles. In my opinion, if it can get better, make it better. But for hunting accuracy, hitting a pie plate at whatever range will usually make the kill.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
A recent world record was recorded at 600 meters. in the .3"s that's fanfreakintastic shooting right there.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
A recent world record was recorded at 600 meters. in the .3"s that's fanfreakintastic shooting right there.
Anyone can buy a rifle that is guaranteed to shoot under a MOA. Anyone can buy match ammo, or custom make it. But if the shooter isn't doing his part, none of the other stuff counts. Being able to shoot a .03" group at 600 yards, is ridiculous! Fanfreakintastic is a good description of this feat! I'm wondering if the shooter even has a heart beat!

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I know right. My kid bro sent me the video link. Dude was shooting like a friggin machine.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Good quality brass with a consistent metallurgy, precise case volume, uniform and consistent flash hole dimensions and consistent case neck dimensions are all necessary requirements for an ultra high degree of long range target accuracy at extended ranges. As an example, the excellent quality and significantly more expensive Lapua Palma .308 match target brass coupled with excellent quality consistent match bullets, ultra consistent burn rate match grade powder (like Vihtavuori), consistent brissiveness match grade primers all coupled with seriously anal retentive match grade reloading techniques makes the difference between being just kinda roughly around or just above MOA at extended (400 to 1,200 yard) target ranges and being significantly sub MOA at those same ranges.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts