How important is a guns appearance?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by TranterUK, May 6, 2009.

1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

How important is a guns appearance? Has the Brit lost his mind? Well for self defence it just might be (the appearance thing, not the mind loss thing).

In a self defence situation, isnt it better when the gun is produced, if the BG stops and says 'OK dont shoot'?

I know of at least one occasion when someone produced .380 compact, and raised a laugh and 'is that real'? Most of you, and I know a .380 in good hands is a serious weapon, but BGs are not often trained or students of the gun. They go by what they see making a decision in a moment.

I am not suggesting we all walk about with 9" barrel .44 magnums but I think there is something in this.

Opinions?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2009
  2. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    I think you're correct, Tranter. Perception does make reality in many cases. A .38 will usually give more pause than a .22 and a 12 gage more than either. Another area where appearance will very likely come into play is in a court room should you be unfortunate enough to go there after defending yourself. Shooting a bad guy with that 9" .44 Magnum will most likely be harder to justify in the eyes of a jury than doing so with a 4" .38 Special; your peers are usually not trained in the use of firearms either....

Last edited: May 6, 2009

3. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

I was always taught that if there was reason enough to pull your gun, then use it. So if you're going to use does it relly make a difference how big it is? As long as it big enough to do the job.

4. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

I agree with speedy if you see my handgun its already too late. I am not in the habit of warning a bg that I am about to shoot him, so if you see it expect the boom.

5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I appreciate your viewpoint. It's a good one, and shows a common sense attitude. Dont start waving it around unless the situation really needs it.

Unfortunately some situations can become complicated, and quickly. Two threats, one has a shotgun, you identify the danger and draw, he lowers the shotgun raising an open hand, but his friend reaches under his jacket. Time to shoot? Both or just the guy who may be reaching for his cell phone or wallet?

In my limited experience the decision when to shoot, or not to shoot will be the hardest one most will ever make in this type of scenario.

6. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

excellent question and one i really never gave alot of thought to. but one day after being cut off in traffic i gave the other driver the one finger salute, he stopped and out piled the driver and 3 other guys. not knowing what i was about to be faced with i put my hand in my pocket and grabbed my handy dandy 22 derringer . i thought better of it and talked my way out of trouble. the thought crossed my mind if i pull this thing out all i might do is piss someone off, and unless i coulld convince them to stand single file i was really in deep **** last time i carried the derringer. but back to the root question a 45 or a shotgun being brandished would get more attention than a 22 derringer or a 25 auto.

7. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I find appearance does matter - but to offset pulling a little snubbie out of my pocket having the laser point right between the BG's eyes might change their mind.

8. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Thats a message I would understand. I know how to tackle it though!!!

9. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

BG's will continue an attack as long as they feel they can win against an easy mark. The presence of a gun complicates it for them and their reaction is based on their instincts. If their staring down the BBL of a 12 ga my guess is they will leave with great speed therefore you need to shoot quickly before they get their backs turned.

The exception is the nut case that is out to kill people and/or die trying. The latter portion is our responsibility.

10. Charles Butler

Charles Butler New Member

ya bg are usually not as gun smart as most of us they couldnt tell the difference between a 380 or a 45 but they will know that you have a gun and most bg who have enough common sense, will back off, and a laser will double that intimidation factor, and for me he better turn around real fast or well u kno what would happen

11. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Care to explain how someone would see a laser on their own face? I doubt anyone would notice it on their own chest.

12. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I would have thought one would, at close range have seen the light of the laser blinking while wavering. I have never had anyone point a laser sight at me, at any range so dont really know. Perhaps someone on TFF would try it for us and find out?

13. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

There are too many variables to make a hard and fast statement on this.
    The single time I was facing a felon fleeing the police, I had a sawed off 12 gauge aimed at him, and it had no effect. Even firing a round over his head did not slow him down, he kept coming. At a scant few feet away, he turned and ran into the woods, just some fraction of a second before the trigger I was already squeezing would have taken him out.

Still, for those cases where it MIGHT make a difference, I would opt for the 12 gauge over just about anything else, as I have no desire to have to PROVE I am serious by taking someones life, and the 12 gauge is about the most formidable looking thing I know of, from the subjective end.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  14. SARG

SARG Member

I had a remarkably similar situation happen to me in the early eighties. Two hell's Angel types at about 4:00 AM on a Sunday morning decided to stop at my house thinking it was "one of opportunity". They had been at the first local AmJam twenty miles away. They were going through our vehicles when I realized they were outside and were talking in voices loud enough to easily hear. Obviously high on drugs.

Two lessons learned that morning. Folks on drugs do not have fear and you shouldn't go outside to confront bad guys in just a robe.

I had a 12 ga. 870 and fired the gun just over the approaching fellas right shoulder. I was close enough to see his eyes and noted they did not even dilate with the blast ..... nor did the noise have any effect. I racked the slide and prepared to fire a center mass shot when the other bastard convinced the first they should retreat because they heard my wife say through the window she had called the Troopers.

Afraid of the Troops but not a 12 ga shotgun. I was a little stunned by the whole deal. Even more later when I realized that when I racked the slide the next shell fell to the ground instead of going into battery......... the chamber would have been empty on the next shot.

A very vivid memory which is the reason I now have no personal pump guns ( Mossberg in the patrol trunk ) but do have three 1100's and one 11-87.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  15. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

It is a horrible feeling to KNOW you are going to have to kill someone.

I am glad your situation, like mine, turned out good -

Empty chamber?
    Good grief, I'll bet THAT gave you a few nightmares!
    The 12 gauge I had is my wife's Winchester - it has never had a failure.