The Firearms Forum banner
221 - 240 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
There is one gunstore, in our area, that has been able to find large quantities of rifle ammo (223, 308 mainly), smaller quantities of handgun ammo, and has always had lots of shotgun ammo. Prices are reasonable.

·
Premium Member
20,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
I hear rumors about more ammo but I still can't find it. I wanted to build a stash of extra ammo for the TFF BBQ but as of yet, I can't find any. Rifle ammo is back. I can get that with the exception of 223. There is no pistol ammo around here.

·
Premium Member
15,039 Posts
Seems there was a fair selection at the gun show on Saturday but I didn't pay any attention to prices. Our one pawn has a pretty decent selection and Dave isn't gouging that I could tell. I have to take Steele to the beauty shop this morning and will look around.

·
Registered
8,378 Posts
Every dark cloud has a brighter lining. What is going on in the Middle East - especially Afghanistan - is the darkest of the dark clouds. At the end of these conflicts there is always a glut of milsurp ammo that shows up on the market.

Recall when the Desert Storm conflict began - and the Arabs refused to use Israeli IMI (then our major supplier of ammunition for OUR military) because our Arab "friends" refused to use Israeli ammunition against their brethren? There was a major push to have other contractors provide military ammo. The result was a HUGE glut in IMI ammo and components. I recall buying 9mm 115 grain FMJ pistol bullets for as low as $50 for 500 and .30 caliber M80 147 grain bullets for about the same price.

With the millions or rounds of small arms ammunition captured by the murderous Taliban, and the Taliban needing funds to further export their bloodshed, I'm fairly certain that the market will again be flooded. There will always be someone standing in the wings to take advantage. I'm not happy about it, just saying how things seem to work.

·
Premium Member
15,039 Posts
Just got back from town. Academy had a PLENTIFUL supply of Winchester .223. Looked like $19.00 for a box of 20. They had plenty pf 9mm as well but doggone it if I did forget the price. Lots of shotgun shells as well. For all intents and purposes they had nothing for handloading. Their gun racks were also full as was the handgun cases.

I stopped at our other gun shop that is owned by youngsters, nearly all black gun and tacti-cool stuff. They had some ammo and their racks and cases were nearly full. Zero reloading stuff. I stop in there occasionally because one of the guys who runs it/works there is about my age and we share some interests. Other than him there's no reason for me to go in.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Just for grins I just went by my local Academy. They get shipments on Monday and Tuesday so I thought I would go look at noon on Tuesday. ZERO 9mm....period. Some overprice .22lr from Norma, CCI. Some Winchester 380 for $27+ per box of 50. Quite a bit of overpriced .223 and 5.56, and some shotgun stuff I did not look at.

It's not getting any better for availability or price....

·
Super Moderator
43,364 Posts
I hear rumors about more ammo but I still can't find it. I wanted to build a stash of extra ammo for the TFF BBQ but as of yet, I can't find any. Rifle ammo is back. I can get that with the exception of 223. There is no pistol ammo around here.
What kind of ammo you needing?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Academy is about the best, they get deliveries on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
You have to get there an hour before opening to get the best shot at the good stuff!
I was in there the other day and got a case of 12g 7.5 shot and a case of 20g 8 shot for $6.99 a box. I also got a box of Winchester 44 mag 50 rounds for under 50 bucks.

Our LGS which is huge has anything you want if you want to pay ridiculous prices!

·
Premium Member
20,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
What kind of ammo you needing?
I am ok with ammo right now but I have been looking for shotgun shells for over a year. Seem just before I run out I find some. Never can seem to find enough.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Today 08/24/2021 on line I bought 2lb's of Accurate No.2 from Brownells at $27.00 per pound. After Haz-Mat and shipping charges my final cost was $90.50 for the two pounds. My local gun store that I always bought primers and powder from still has none and it has been that way for almost two years. I am quite certain he is getting powder and primers but he is gouging on the internet. What ammo he had is too expensive.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
The LGS is getting more ammo shipments, but the wholesale prices are higher than the retail prices were before Covid and Biden's inauguration.
I have a feeling prices are going to stay at least somewhat higher until manufacturers can get components at a more reasonable price and more consistency rather than waiting for weeks.

·
Premium Member
20,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
Well here you go, just down the road I bought a box of 30.30 off our local gun stand, the guy just sets there with other folks selling honey, fruit, firewood. Paid $30 bucks which is cheaper than anywhere else.

He had a few guys when I 1st went buy, on the way back he was alone. So we had a nice chat for about 20 minutes.
If someone was to do that around here it would be on the nightly news. What state was this in?

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
I am ok with ammo right now but I have been looking for shotgun shells for over a year. Seem just before I run out I find some. Never can seem to find enough.
Been seeing a lot of 3” steel shot at the local WAL MART.
I have a feeling prices are going to stay at least somewhat higher until manufacturers can get components at a more reasonable price and more consistency rather than waiting for weeks.
I have a feeling prices will remain high and availability spotty until we regain control of the government from the &&$#$&#@ presently at the helm :mad:

221 - 240 of 261 Posts