The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had a passing interest in black powder off and on for a few years. Kept thinking that it might be fun to try but never got serious enough about it to actually buy anything. (Although, I did get close a couple of times.)

With the current ammo shortages and price increases I wonder if maybe this wouldn’t be the time to pick up the hobby. It’s not nearly as common as modern ammo and a couple of black powder revolvers might be handy if the shortages get too out of hand.

My question is, have there been any supply shortages for black powder the way there has been for modern ammo and reloading? Can you still get powder, primers and projectiles fairly easily and are the prices holding?

Just curious because if the current social climate stays like this or gets worse, black powder may end up being the only option.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
Aromatherapy 😍
4,261 Posts
From a quick look through the big online retailers - BP, BP substitutes, bullets, patches, cleaning, etc all seem to be in stock. That includes Grafs (for real BP). I don’t think you’ll have a problem.

Reactions: Kvasir and WillieB

·
Premium Member
11,678 Posts
I expect Broot is right about the components. I've been able to get what little I've needed. I've heard and seen that new, percussion revolvers are scarce. Last I looked there seemed to be quite a few on the auction sites but dealers were out. A friend of mine has an original '51 Navy that family legend/history says was carried by a family predecessor during the war of northern aggression. He was wanting a repro to experience what the revolver was like without shooting the original. He can't find a new one at the usual suspects.

I've not heard of any shortages for rifles but I haven't looked either.

Everyone says it's because of the shut down in Italy at the beginning of this covid crap show....which makes sense given the way Italy was supposedly hit.

·
Registered
9,477 Posts
Our shop has powder, bullets, caps and molds in stock and I think they have a few revolvers. I can't post a link to it on open forums, against the rules, but someone else like @sharps4590 can. Or you can send me a PM. Powder and caps do have a hazmat fee so local purchase of it if you can find it local will be more cost effective.

·
Registered
9,477 Posts
Won't be anyone in the store until Tuesday and It's been a couple of years since I've worked in the store and needed to pull inventory but I'm sure they will have some BP revolvers and shooting supplies in stock.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the input and the link. I’m gonna do some internet window shopping today and then try to figure out how to convince the wife we NEED this. ;)

Reactions: Grizzley1 and Broot

·
Premium Member
11,678 Posts
Up in the panhandle of Idaho. I forget the town.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Around Oklahoma City area I have had to go to a few different stores to get percussion caps lately and not always got the brand I like the best but did find some . A few times the first store were out of black powder . The big name stores around here (Basspro , Cabelas Acadamy ) quit carrying black powder for some reason and I use mostly mom & pop stores which don't stock a lot extra but will have more . Have not seen new revolvers in stores or online in stock most places . Use to you could get a good used revolver for $100-$150 max but for past few years even they have gone way up .

·
Registered
700 Posts
It's crazy . All of my cap and ball revolvers (6) were bought used over the years . I make rounds at pawn shops and a local auction place that has a gun sell every month or so just to see what they got , never can tell may see something I can't live without . Would always see a few C&B revolvers for sale at the pawn shops but they have gotten rare . And at the auction place the prices get have gotten close to the new prices . Glad I got my collection pretty much complete .

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's crazy . All of my cap and ball revolvers (6) were bought used over the years . I make rounds at pawn shops and a local auction place that has a gun sell every month or so just to see what they got , never can tell may see something I can't live without . Would always see a few C&B revolvers for sale at the pawn shops but they have gotten rare . And at the auction place the prices get have gotten close to the new prices . Glad I got my collection pretty much complete .
I agree, to a point. At many auction places, sellers have taken advantage of the situation. I have 8 Pietta 1851 Navy "type" revolvers (to include various Confederate models I have put together via parts changing). I mostly visit ********* or the various forum classified ad sections to do my bidding. I am always looking for better replacement wood to upgrade the standard Pietta quarter-sawn straight grained walnut usually found on new Pietta revolvers like these.

If anyone has a nice piece of wood for sale, I am all eyes/ears.

For example, this is my Pietta Leech & Rigdon (parts gun) that was created from an 1851 Navy (above, which had the basic blah wood). I purchased the wood, backstrap, and trigger guard from a friend on another forum for $60.

The parts sellers on Ebay buy new revolvers and then part them out for usually exorbitant prices. Once in a blue moon someone will some part(s) that are reasonably priced, but that is usually only about 2% of the sellers.

Sorry to be so wordy.

Regards,

Jim

(Upon preview of my post I see that the forum software does not allow me to link to a certain seller website. It is most likely to eliminate commercial advertising, I think. I dunno. Curious that it let me refer to Ebay.)

·
Super Moderator
39,095 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Nice looking Leech & Rigdon revolver you got Jim . Those grips set it off great . I thought about making one of the Confederate Revolvers , cool history behind them but think I waited to long to start that project . Most parts, even used parts have gone way up along with the guns . I like the older type guns (WW2 and back) mainly . I know some people who have built AR types . They say building is cheaper but seems they still get a lot of money into them . But I am not up on the cost of that hobby but have shot them and they do shoot good . Again I was going to pick one of them up to have you know few years back but always came across a old gun needing a good home . And now everyone is wanting one . Guess anything that goes bang would sell right now .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice looking Leech & Rigdon revolver you got Jim. Those grips set it off great. I thought about making one of the Confederate Revolvers, cool history behind them but think I waited to long to start that project. Most parts, even used parts have gone way up along with the guns.
Thanks very much for the compliment. You are most correct, sir. I bought the barrel ($125) and the plain cylinder ($95) from VTI a few years ago. I managed to sell the unwanted octagonal barrel and engraved cylinder to a guy on some forum for $100, so I recouped some of my money. I am retired (68) and on many BP forums and monitor the classified ads regularly. Parts changing is not cheap, but Pietta does not market a L&R even when they could do so with their off-the-shelf parts and sell it for a paltry $200 (or more). Pietta CNC machined parts (since~2001) makes their guns like Legos insofar as the parts are interchangeable with little or no fitting. If one sticks with the CNC guns, no problem. If one delves into Pietta guns prior to that, Pietta sub-contracted with several small manufacturers in Brescia (Northern Italy) to produce parts for them, and if those guns need parts, fitting will be necessary.

You will probably laugh, but that L&R was my prime donor candidate to create a 1862 J.H. Dance and Brothers .36. Luckily, last December, I found an original Pietta Dance .36 (BH/1996) revolver, SN C00013, one of only 35 produced (!) for $325. It is estimated to be worth $1000+. To me, the find of a lifetime. My L&R is thankfully now safe.

Such is the life of a parts changer!

You folks take care and have a good night!

Regards,

Jim

1 - 20 of 127 Posts