The Firearms Forum banner

101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yes I remember reading something about Colt saying something about that on Eli Whitney Jr . Gus kept his from Lonesome Dove , not sure were Josey Wales got his from !!

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
A couple weeks ago I went to a local gun shop for the 1st time, just a little place 2 stories with just a few thousand guns. I asked what they had in BP guns the guy brought me to the BP wing they only had about 600 guns and an 8 foot high by 12 foot long shelf full of powder. so out of curiosity I asked how many guns do they have in stock in the store, he said due to the current market we only have about 3200 in stock right now. might have to get another single shot 12 and make up some more BP shotshells.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
A couple weeks ago I went to a local gun shop for the 1st time, just a little place 2 stories with just a few thousand guns. I asked what they had in BP guns the guy brought me to the BP wing they only had about 600 guns and an 8 foot high by 12 foot long shelf full of powder. so out of curiosity I asked how many guns do they have in stock in the store, he said due to the current market we only have about 3200 in stock right now. might have to get another single shot 12 and make up some more BP shotshells.
I really need to visit this store!

·
Premium Member
11,649 Posts
As long as it isn't in Minneapolis...

I like Tripe K stuff. It's held up well for me.

Reactions: WillieB

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I am not going anywhere near that place it would get to expensive to quick . I WANT THAT ONE, I WANT THAT ONE ect . Then the cost of a divorce lawyer and she would get all the guns !
Thats how i felt in there, my wife said she was glad were already broke because if we werent we would be by the time i left. they had several of my various dream guns they sell new and used from antique to present day.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Thats how i felt in there, my wife said she was glad were already broke because if we werent we would be by the time i left. they had several of my various dream guns they sell new and used from antique to present day.
Yeah, I could see my wife dragging me out of there kicking and screaming as well. She likes guns and shooting almost as much as I do but she has two guns she is happy with where I’m more of a one of everything kind of guy.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
It reminded me of a gun museum, My nephew who brought me there with him for my gun "expertise" ended up buying a Mossberg 500 combo. he looked at few Benelli 12ga but they all had loose stocks I was shocked, the guy said that little bit of wiggle was actually pretty common, it was nothing a sliver of pop can or piece of paper wouldnt of fixed

As long as it isn't in Minneapolis...

I like Tripe K stuff. It's held up well for me.
couple hours north

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Yeah, I could see my wife dragging me out of there kicking and screaming as well. She likes guns and shooting almost as much as I do but she has two guns she is happy with where I’m more of a one of everything kind of guy.
tell her its only 450 miles away thats only a 6.5 hour drive...lol its only an hour drive for me but around here that is "local" Ive noticed we Minnesotans tend to give distance in time driven. Like for its only an hour to Duluth if I dont take the freeway the whole way and only 35 minutes if i take the freeway. I cant wait to go back to this gun store one of the few places that stock more then one brand of powder and in a larger variety

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
My wife is laughing saying crying kids in a toy store wanting stuff is nothing compared to us gun nerds in a gun shop wanting guns and trying to leave !
I told my kid who just turned 18 that they had several K98s (several being about 7) his dream gun they ranged from about $900 to 1500. the little pest said cool I can easily afford that ( the kid has been working for just over a year and has only spent about $1500). I asked if he wanted to get any BP guns and he said no those are for old people still trying to relive their youth when they still used those kinda guns, you know Like you Dad!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
tell her its only 450 miles away thats only a 6.5 hour drive...lol its only an hour drive for me but around here that is "local" Ive noticed we Minnesotans tend to give distance in time driven. Like for its only an hour to Duluth if I dont take the freeway the whole way and only 35 minutes if i take the freeway. I cant wait to go back to this gun store one of the few places that stock more then one brand of powder and in a larger variety
I’m the same way. How long it takes to get there is more important than how many miles.

I told my kid who just turned 18 that they had several K98s (several being about 7) his dream gun they ranged from about $900 to 1500. the little pest said cool I can easily afford that ( the kid has been working for just over a year and has only spent about $1500). I asked if he wanted to get any BP guns and he said no those are for old people still trying to relive their youth when they still used those kinda guns, you know Like you Dad!
Sounds like that boy could use some schooling. :rolleyes::D

·
TFF Chaplain
19,242 Posts
Reactions: WillieB

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
I was just looking at some BP kit guns this morning. I haven't put one together in decades, and thought it would be a fun winter project.
Then I saw it. A blunderbuss kit!
I have absolutely no use for one, and I'm not even sure how to load one.
BUT I WANT ONE!
The next question is, flint or percussion?

·
Premium Member
11,649 Posts
I was just looking at some BP kit guns this morning. I haven't put one together in decades, and thought it would be a fun winter project.
Then I saw it. A blunderbuss kit!
I have absolutely no use for one, and I'm not even sure how to load one.
BUT I WANT ONE!
The next question is, flint or percussion?
Sounds like a pretty amazing store...and one I'll do well to stay out of, which should prove rather easy.

Blunderbuss...flint, hands down. Load it just like a muzzleloading shotgun. If you can find enough of it, hornet or wasp nesting would make excellent wadding for a blunderbuss.

I have that same thought Kva, about a kit. My problem is choosing between an Ohio/Vincent rifle or a Bedford County. I have a nice late Lancaster County rifle so should probably do an Ohio/Vincent, in 40 cal.

·
Premium Member
11,649 Posts
Can't find a rifle to play with in a cartridge that interests me so that might be the next project.

101 - 120 of 127 Posts