The Firearms Forum banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts
They still haven't explained how some nobody with a seven shot cheepo revolver was able to put nine rounds into him. Nor how, from a frontal attack two of these shots were in the back of his head, quite strange....eh.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
Lots of questions on BOTH of those Kennedy boy's shootins ain't it? :eek: :D

And it sounds like the Israeli's are using Col Jeff Cooper's suggestions on crowd control by using a silenced .22 to take out the ring leaders!! That is absoflogginglutely wonderful news.

I'll tell you guys what. I'll put up $5 to everyone willing to stand 10 yards from a brown bear and shoot it with a .22 LR. It will be DRT, right? No worries then. Easy money.

I'll use a .50 BMG and do it for $1. That sounds fair. There's no difference between the two is there? Come to think of it I'd prefer a 20mm cannon. After all they both start with a 2. And you guys will be getting 5 times as much as me for your effort. I'll only pay out if you live though.

We could talk about all those military forces that use the mighty .22. Wait. Ooops! I forgot, there aren't any. Does anyone know why that is? Anybody? After all a .22 is just as effective as a .223, right? They both start with a 2 after all. And the .223 really isn't any bigger in diameter than a .22 LR, right? But for some reason army guys just don't use the .22. Think how much money we could save on ammo if we gave all our soldiers .22's. I think I'll write a letter to Dear Leader. You should too.

And yes, yes, yes I know all about those Mossad guys who used .22's as sniper weapons. But didn't I say you could kill people if you had time to aim and pick a perfect shot with a .22? Sure I did. I guess they are just as effective as every other caliber after all. You guys should sell all your large caliber weapons and use nothing but .22's for SD. Use shorts while you're at it. I saw people talking how they were effective too.

There. It's settled.

"And yes, yes, yes I know all about those Mossad guys who used .22's as sniper weapons. But didn't I say you could kill people if you had time to aim and pick a perfect shot with a .22? Sure I did. I guess they are just as effective as every other caliber after all. You guys should sell all your large caliber weapons and use nothing but .22's for SD. Use shorts while you're at it. I saw people talking how they were effective too.

There. It's settled."---cj_56

Wow ! I wasn't aware of this [but I'm new to shooting].
What a splendid idea. I have some very expensive guns
so I should fare real well on trading.
And I love wearing shorts, what a plus. [long pants suck]
My wife should now be able to shoot with me, 'cause I
don't think the .22's have that much recoil.
Thanks for the great advice.
Off to the gun show....I'll keep ya posted.

How leathal? It will kill. May not be a "stopper", but I don't want to be shot with one.

Many decades ago I was asked to teach a co-worker's wife and kids how to shoot. I took them down to the river bank and gave the kids a couple of cans of tomato paste and without providing them with any tools asked them to open the cans.

After a few minutes of them throwing the cans at rocks or hitting them with small rocks or sticks, I took the cans from them. Put the cans against the bank, showed them the small 22 long rifle cartridges as I loaded them into Ruger Single-Six.

After seeing what that little "bullet" would do to the cans that they failed to open. The kids had respect for the little 22, so did the wife/mother.

Yes, the 22 is lethal and with any caliber, just like business placement, the key is location location location. Well, except for that pesky little thing called "the pucker factor".

I don't care what caliber you use or how many times you pull the trigger when your azzhole puckers to the back of your throat you'll be lucky to hit what you're shooting at.

Typical hit ratio for most LEO at combat ranges, within about 15ft is lower than one might think.

Here's one of the first studies on the subject.

http://www.pointshooting.com/1asop9.htm

Granted the study is not current but Bruce K. Siddle (Detonics) has been studying and teaching about combat for years and these statistics haven't improved that much. This is a good read.

http://www.amazon.com/Sharpening-Warriors-Edge-Psychology-Training/dp/0964920506

Training helps obviously but that pesky ole pucker factor keeps messing with our ability to hit what we're aiming at under stressful situations.

I know I hit just about all the animals I ever shot at in my life except for those that were shooting at me. I have no idea how many of them I actually hit.

Well, I could point out that the IDF (Israeli Defense Force) uses 1022's for purposes of Crowd Control...
due to its "less-than-lethal effect", it is their favored means of peppering rock-throwing Palestinians to get them to stop throwing rocks...

Opinions have a way of being censored on this board so what's the point of saying anything. I can prove to anyone here that a sharp stick is probably more effective than a .22. It's been proven that using an atlatl a person can throw a spear 850 feet. Those spears penetrated the chain mail of the Spanish Conquistadors in S. America when they had spear tips on the darts. Of course it's all about location though. If you miss then it doesn't matter how powerful your weapon is. Imagine that. I don't know why people think they have to repeat that all the time but I figured I'd do it too.

BTW people kill deer with the atlatl all the time. Several states have hunting seasons just for the atlatl. Check out this web site for more info.

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/to...-Contest-2009--Photos--Attendees#.UIFEA67AFGc

Yep it's pretty clear a sharp stick IS better than a .22 for some things.

ive heard storys of soldiers who have said they shot 5 223.rds into a person and it didnt stop them and the returned fire on them ive even heard of people being shot with 7.62 9mm 45acp and do the same thing. any caliber can be leathal depends on the scenario if a guy is on 6-7 lines of meth hes gonna have the strength of 4 ppl hes not gonna feel pain when first hit with any caliber a 22 rifle bolt act or semi auto ive gotta say would probably be the best SHTF firearm to have though its light can pack tons of ammo& ammo is a lot cheaper in price for u to stock up with and in a sittuation where theres little to no medical attetion no one would want to be shot by any caliber of a round but on penatration factorsi have to agree a large round is better. a 22lr handgun im my opion would be good for c&c unfortnaly i live in IL so cant carry my reasons for saying that if a situation came to play in aparking lot and your attacked u dont have to worry about the round going through the perp and hitting a innocent person like a 45 or 9mm could at close range what my point is i would not use a 22lr to protect my house from a home invader but i would in a situation of chaos to fend off attackers at a 50-60 yrd distance if those sittuations ever were to happen
All true AND if the attacker is hopped up on something like heroin then you have to litterally blow them apart. From my history reading in the early 1900's phillipino muslims wrapped themselves in tight linen binds around vital areas and smoked some opium, then attacked US Army dependent parties killing as many women and children as well as any soldiers who got in their way. The officers at this time were armed with .38 caliber revolvers. At least this is what I read?

All true AND if the attacker is hopped up on something like heroin then you have to litterally blow them apart. From my history reading in the early 1900's phillipino muslims wrapped themselves in tight linen binds around vital areas and smoked some opium, then attacked US Army dependent parties killing as many women and children as well as any soldiers who got in their way. The offiecer at this time sere armed with .38 calible revolvers. At least this is what I read?
exactly my point if some punk breaking into your house just to show his friends hes cool or a guy who might do it to get some stuff to sell a 22lr might do the trick but combat/someone jacked up or someone who planed it out or is on a rampage its not goin to any caliber your taking a 50/50 chance

My Ruger 10-22 has 25 round mag's and I can fire all rounds in around 20 seconds. Who is going to live through that? I don't use a 22 for home defence but I am sure it would work if that's all you have.

An atlatl while dangerous in the correct hands,and that would be like asking how many spoke Hopi in a crowd of 100,in say times square.Or like building a fire via friction at least move up to flint and steel.
The 22 cal while small can be deadly,would a larger caliber be more so sure,but they may not have larger or can conceal much larger.Its the learning curve that can fit in anyones hands and not recoil much,and is better than a rock at most distances.
I cc when clothing permits either a 32 acp and now my recent 9x18,weak side however still has a 22 lr in reach.In summer they are even primary,no wont stop a crazed water buffalo in my bath tub.Doubt if 8 9 x18 would either at least not quickly.
You would have a death wish to fire on a grizzly that hadnt attacked you with either 10-22 lr or 8 9x18.If on the other hand its all one had as being eaten shoot on the way down.
Assuming im near my night stand or truck, my 45 acp would feel better.

I have had a Marlin bolt action since I was a kid. I have another that I think is a Marlin, also a bolt action with magazine. I shot those rifles for years and, as stated several times, they "can" be lethal, based on shot placement.

something else that stands out, though and is also mentioned. followup shots. I bought a Walther P22 a couple of years ago with the laser on it. The price was right and it fit my hand perfectly... and the intial sight aquisition is almost perfect for me. After I bought it, I took it out to do some practice, which is what I mainly bought it for. I carry a Glock 21 at work, and the .22 is a FAR cheaper round to buy and shoot to keep up on the mechanics.

In short, I concur with previous statements about rapid fire. I set up a target at 20', which I figure to be the farthest distance to encounter a "target" in my house. I was able to RAPIDLY empty 11 rounds into an 8" circle and very consitently. It has become my first choice and I keep it full of Yellow Jacket ammunition. Whether it kills them or not... a person will rethink entering/remaining in my house with rounds going down range and with the aid of the laser, the point/shoot capability is pretty good.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.