How many of us have had an AD for any reason? ( 1 2 )

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt Guest

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/20/02 9:25:04 am)
    | Del All How many of us have had an AD for any reason?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OK, I know this may be a "touchy" subject for many experienced shooters to admit, so I won't require an explanation like other polls... so replies can be confidential if you wish.

For any reason, "mechanical failure" of the specific firearm, or "Operator Error," have you EVER had an accidental discharge of a firearm?

(Discounting ONLY "surprise trigger breaks" at the range...IF the round went DOWNRANGE of course...)

BUT if you answer NO, please give an idea of how long you have been shooting, and/or how many rounds of any type you
    estimate you have fired from a firearm in your lifetime.

YES. More than once, for mechanical, AND "operator error."
    Yes. More than once, Mechanical failure reasons only.
    Yes, More than once, for "Operator Error" only.
    YES. Only ONCE for any reason.
    NO. I have NEVER had an AD for any reason....

Show results

"Don't hear him call you an @sshole, hear WHY he's calling you an @sshole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/20/02 9:47:39 am)
    | Edit | Del Re: How many of us have had an AD for any reason?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have had several. OK, maybe more...

I can remember one with an old Savage Single shot 12 ga that suddenly developed a habit of not recocking when it "broke" and I slammed it home with a new round and it fired...my finger was NOT on the trigger...I was in my early teens, heading out to shoot some starlings just outside the garage...and put a nice 8" pattern into the sheetrock wall across the two car garage...I am DARN glad my brother drove an AMX and had pulled it ALL the way up when he parked it in the garage the night before...

I had one several years ago with a slug into the ground from my '97 during deer season when loading up on a COLD morning with bulky gloves...hammer slipped when lowering...a potentially dangerous practice, a weakness of the design that luckily I was aware of...no harm no foul, a helluva wakeup call, and was a good lesson for my son who was loading up at the time also, if DAD can have an AD, he sure could too....

And I remember SEVERAL where (OK I ADMIT IT, I'M HUMAN)

...."I forgot it was loaded..."

I THANK GOD, somebody taught me there were TWO cardinal rules you had to follow...

1. Treat EVERY gun as if it is loaded at all times, and you PERSONALLY inspect to see if it is EVERY time YOU handle one...

AND...

2. ALWAYS point it in a safe direction, or at least at something you can afford to shoot....

(It's NOT one or the other, it HAS to be both, so when you screw up on one, the OTHER saves you, or others around you...)

And another "habit" I have picked up over the years, whether at a show, or on the range if you hand me a gun to "see..." or you hand one BACK to me that I let you look at...

I WILL be opening the action to look inside. EVERY time. If you don't like that, TOUGH. I then I will NOT be buying, or showing you, or asking to see a gun of yours ever again. And I EXPECT. and am the first to compliment you, if you open the action first and check inside before handing a gun to me, and/or open the action and look inside of any gun I hand to YOU...we all need to be doing this, IMHO...

Experience is a WONDERFUL teacher...

"Don't hear him call you an @sshole, hear WHY he's calling you an @sshole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/20/02 9:50:14 am)
    Remember, please give us a an idea of your relative experience level, if you answered "NO."

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/20/02 9:51:57 am)
    One, operater error.....12ga. Made a believer at the young age of 19......not one since. LTS
    T.F.F.

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/20/02 9:54:12 am)
    have to share a hunting story regarding AD's, several years ago was hunting with a "friend" it started raining so we head back to his truck somehow when he was putting his gun in the truck AD occured right through the floorboard, bellhousing, and torque converter, got to walk about 5 mi. in the rain and reminded him what a dumbass he is/was every few hundred yards, haven't been hunting with him since

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/20/02 10:54:48 am)
    What you don't say can't be repeated..

Been shooting for 50 yrs and have never had a AD. Have had a surprise or two on the range while checking out some "smithing" but all were down range.

My Mom taught me how to shoot when I was 10 or so and she taught me well.

Just looked it up and this year was near typical, sent right at 7K rounds down range; everything from .22 to .45.

She also told me to speak the truth

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/20/02 12:21:50 pm)
    Back in the 70s had a Savage Model 99 in .243 caliber that was a real dud of a firearm.

Inside my house was chambering some cartridges that I had run through ultra small base dies, the Savage sear failed on chambering a round and the discharge noise really shook up my wife who was in the kitchen.

However, having had good gun handling instruction at a very young age I knew better than to point my rifle at some area that I didn't want to accidentally shoot. I was aware of cement footing blocks under my subfloor, so elected to point the barrel towards the ceiling. The bullet would have landed in some farmers bean field eventually.

That damn gun was pure crap to reload, and even with a scope it was not very accurate...so, I got rid of it.

However, not to put the bad mouth on all Savage Model 99s, I own a 1925 take-down barrel in 30-30 caliber. It is a super accurate firearm with buckhorn sights.

Gunguy

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/20/02 1:04:17 pm)
    Never had an AD, but I have had some old military surplus ammo that had hangfires. Good thing I followed the old addage of keep it pointed downrange and count slowly to 10!
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (3/20/02 1:55:13 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: How many of us have had an AD for any reason?
    Been lucky I guess...
    Never experienced an "AD".
    As for use of firearms, I've fired multiple types of weapons since I was 10 years old.
    * Shotguns (practice/competition) & Hunting
    * Rifles (hunting)
    * All with various configurations
    * Target Pistols (practice/competition)
    * Automatic weapons (Hand held - Military Service)
    I can't respond to the number of rounds....
    I can say that I have fired more shotgun rounds
    and Automatic weapons secondly.
    Followed by 22LR & 45 Colt pistol competitively.
    Hunting with 270 & 22LR lastly.
    Hope I continue to have the same experience.
    I have seen some pretty bad accidents in my time!
    BE SAFE!
    Charlie D
    I'm not tense, just
    terribly, terribly alert!

Edited by: Different name at: 3/20/02 2:15:37 pm

Donny Henry
    (3/20/02 2:09:57 pm)
    Polish shooter:

I answered no...I've been shooting since I was 16 (not counting BB guns...Shot those since I was eight or nine) Hard to say how many rounds I've fired in my life, I wouldn't even know how to start estimating.

Now, with that said, I did have one AD with a paintball gun (out of ten years of playing) but the barrell was safely plugged and it had an electro trigger (the trigger pull was less than that of a button on a calculator) So I did not include that in the poll.
    ~-~Courage is not the lack of fear...
    but the presence of faith.~-~

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/20/02 2:17:16 pm)
    I can add a hangfire as well... a friend of mine had a Italian 6.5 Carcano that he was wanting to shoot. After buying some surplus ammo we headed for the range.
    He put a couple or rounds through it then.... CLICK
    as he was handing me the rifle (still pointed down-range) it went off.

I was taught gun safety at an early age, handle every gun as if it's LOADED!

Again when I joined the Bullseye Team... Safety IS everything!

Is this the place to add the TPH-22 coming apart in my hand?
    THAT REALLY SUCKED!

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/20/02 2:27:30 pm)
    Been doing this 34 years as a Proffession! The answer is YES Thank God no one was ever injured. It scared the Shite of me too. At least I never shot my 27" color TV while practicing sight alignment! Ahem! Calling no names here!
    I suffer from occasional loss of mental stability, and become very violent with only slight provocation. The Veterans Administration has determined that both mental and physical harassment of my person may be hazardous to your health and well being. So stay away from my Donuts!!

BlackGUN

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/20/02 3:20:50 pm)
    Speaking of shooting TV's I had a friend who practiced his quick draw against Matt Dillon and would you believe shot TWO TV's dead!

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/20/02 3:37:18 pm)
    Yep! Smokey! sure would, the one I'm refering to happend with a S&W 8 3/8" 44 mag from the lazyboy! The man will never live it down as long as I'm alive to tell the story!

Of course. I have a co-worked who is deathly afraid of snakes, so we (me) put a rubber snake on the floor in officers turn out. The officer walked in, saw the snake and emptied a Glock17 into the floor! It was hell ot pay around the PD for a long long time afterwards! As I remember, My As* was sore for a month, where my wallet once sat
    I suffer from occasional loss of mental stability, and become very violent with only slight provocation. The Veterans Administration has determined that both mental and physical harassment of my person may be hazardous to your health and well being. So stay away from my Donuts!!

BlackGUN

SW Man
    (3/20/02 3:49:20 pm)
    Have been shooting and hunting since I was 8 years old. That was 42 years ago. I have never (Knock Wood) an AD yet. Have had some hangfires a couple of squibs and one thet blew the primer out of the case, but never an AD. I have also been doing my own reloading for 32 years now. I have been very fortunate so far and I thank God for that.
    The second admendment GUARANTEES the Constitution and the other nine.

218Bee
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/20/02 4:04:53 pm)
    I was working on a Savage M-340 in hornet in my garage,it had trouble in the chamber,I`d polish on the chamber some ,and try to cycle rounds.On the last round as I closed the bolt on a round,it went off,through the door of my 2 day old Whirlpool cloths dryer,out the back,and half an inch into the stucco and cinderblock wall.As with most cases I know of,and have ever heard of,I had the gun pointed in the ~safest~direction possible.

In my case,I have a habit of pulling the trigger as I close the bolt on an empty rifle,so as not to have to dryfire it ....so what I think probably happened is ,I did this with a loaded gun...without thinking.

218Bee
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/20/02 4:10:26 pm)
    I can`t remember if I polished the chamber,or if I pollished it!

(Spoken in a gentlemanly southern accent,surprisingly like Val Kilmer in his role as Doc Holliday)

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/20/02 4:47:10 pm)
    Bee maybe you shined it

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/20/02 5:04:51 pm)
    Back in the '60's when I was a rookie cop, my partner & I were going to serve a warrant. It was in a tenement building, third floor. Narrow staircase, dimly lit. We get on a small landing, opposite the door. My partner says, "Hang loose, and be ready for anything", I so unsnap the holddown on my holster and start to lift my gun to make sure it's loose in the holster.....and "BLAM!"

The bullet went straight down, missing my leg and taking a small half-moon out of the egde of the sole of my shoe.....just missing my little toe by a few thousands of an inch.

Ya know they say "white men can't jump"? You should've seen my partner that day!

RobC in Missouri
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/20/02 5:35:09 pm)
    No ADs, but I've had my share of hangfires, and one case rupture that scared the daylights out of me.

Some experiences:

1st shot out of a Lee-Enfield No. 4, using some old cordite loaded ammo. Click,sizzle, boom. Bolt locked up tight, requiring a rubber mallet to open it when I got home (can we assume bad headspace?). Never fired it again.

Numerous hangfires using old French 8mm Lebel in both a Berthier and an M1886/93. The Berthier wasn't bad (other than the tremendous kick), but that M1886 would cause my thumb to thump me in the nose each time. Never fails too - the hangfire would go off just as you start to relax your grip on the rifle.

The case rupture occurred in an M1886 Austrian Mannlicher rifle using original 1888 vintage ammo (black powder 11.15x58, or whatever it was). The first shot went without a hitch (and was quite impressive too, with all the smoke), but the 2nd shot went BOOM and sprayed my face with powder residue and gas, and broke the extractor. The old cartridge split from the primer pocket and halfway up the cartridge. Needless to say, I sat there stunned for a minute, then checked for blood. I was lucky (doubly so, as I'm a southpaw, which makes my face more exposed to the weaker side of the action).

RobC in Missouri

Donny Henry
    (3/20/02 7:16:46 pm)
    Xracer:
    You remind me of a friend of mine, a short, stocky, black, rookie cop with this "fake" attitude (cant let folks run over him you know) Anyway, each day at the end of his shift he would jack the three shells out of the shotgun in his squad car, place the gun back on the rack, and the next guy on duty would load three shells of his own, and so on...For what ever reason, this day the gun had a fourth round in it, so of course he jacks out his three rounds pulls the freaking trigger and blows the passenger window to bits.

What a way to get a short vacation. LOL
    ~-~Courage is not the lack of fear...
    but the presence of faith.~-~

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/20/02 9:01:25 pm)
    Twice,
    I was about 13 years old and hunting with my dad and my new .22. I pointed at the ground and pulled the trigger to see if the safe was on.

It is very embarrassing to be able to carry a gun but not allowed to have bullets at that age.

However I am a slow learner.

First year deer hunting. I did the same thing only with a .270.
    This time dad was a little harder on me.

Who says a 14 year old can't get a spanking

I now do not put my finger on the trigger unless I want the gun to go off.

What in the heck was I thinking back then???

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/20/02 11:25:27 pm)
    Pig good story!

Can just hear Dad now, "Be a good little Piggy, and I might let you have bullets in a couple of decades..."

Here in our little town (17,000) we have a Detective Sergeant (now!) who when he was new on the force, was practicing his draw from a new holster in the mens room at the PD, pointing at the mirror...put a round THROUGH the mirror, through the wall, through the mirror in the LADIES room on the other side and the round stuck in a stall door.

Stupid SOB RUNS into the ladies room, digs the slug out with his knife, then tries to cover it up, denies anything happened..."Shot? I didn't hear any shot!"

But he forgot the empty casing on the floor in the mens room...

Chief gives the Department until the end of the shift for the culprit to 'fess up or he's going to ship the case and one fired case from all their weapons to the Lab in Indy, and whoever it is gets fired...

The guy fessed up, got suspended for a week, that was about 8-9 years ago, and he got promoted to Detective Sergeant about 2 years ago...same force.

He's a nut, but I know him pretty well, he's a "good" nut...

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/21/02 12:44:18 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: How many of us have had an AD for any reason?
    Once to my surprise and chagrine.

At the range with my Beretta in 20 degree weather and by myself. I forgot that with gloves on you can't feel the trigger as well (the shot went sorta down range) well more up and down then actual down range.

Thank god I was the only person out there that day (talk about being totally embarrassed and realizing how dumb they were).

Alphamale
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/21/02 3:24:33 am)
    One, operator error. Was hunting with a marlin lever action, .32 Win Spl (there's a round you see everyday). Buck come out of the tree line, pull rifle up so can be on the deer when he comes into range. He goes back into the woodline before coming into range (of course), so I go to lower the hammer. Gloves on, not such a good grip on hammer, kapow. Killed a small bush about 20 yrds from my stand.

Ended up taking that deer 3 weeks later with a 1916 spanish mauser in .308
    Pardon me while I burst into flames. I've had enough of the world and its people's mindless games---Incubus

tuckerd1
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/21/02 7:44:07 am)
    I checked no and I have been shooting for about 35 years. Fired my first shotgun at age 3. Begged my Dad until he gave in and held it up to my shoulder and let me pull the trigger. Knocked me on my butt, so I didn't ask again for a LONG time! LOL!

But, I was with a friend on 4wheelers and he had a Win 94 in a leather saddle scabbard on his back rack. we stopped and he went to pull the rifle from the scabbard and he slammed the hammer against the rack and it went off. I was on the same side of the 4wheeler as the muzzle, but at the front end. Like to have shite my pants. Barney don't get bullets no more until we stop riding!
    "They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety." (...Benjamin Franklin, 1759)

RobC in Missouri
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/21/02 12:06:51 pm)
    Here's another AD story. It didn't happen to me, but I'll share it anyway.

I learned this one while participating in the Arnold, MO Citizen's Police Academy (a 10 class course offered to residents to give them a feel of police work). In the Arnold station, the squad room/meeting room is located next to a workout area. By the entrance of the squad room is a barrel full of sand to be used as a backstop when an officer clears his weapon. One officer, while clearing his pistol, had an AD which missed the barrel. It penetrated the wall, travelled into the workout room, ricocheted off the floor about a foot in front of the police chief, and lodged itself in the opposite wall. Needless to say, the chief was not pleased.

I'm guessing that officer got an ear full, and the barrel of sand is now set at an angle to make it a little safer for officers to clear their pistols.

RobC in Missouri

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/21/02 12:54:50 pm)
    I appreciate all you guys being honest, I see we are running about 50% of respondents having at least ONE. (So far...)

I also am impressed that even the ones who have NOT have said "thank God," or "lucky so far..." or the like. Nothing I like to hear more is the sound of crow being consumed, and some of the BIGGEST braggarts that claim they are so safe they will NEVER have an AD are the ones who eventually are the most surprised when they finally do...and some of the SAFEST guys with guns now are guys who have HAD stupid ADs, and likewise, some of the most unsafe have just been lucky....

Years ago if anybody admitted to an AD, it seemed to me it was somehow an attack on their "manhood."

But after all, we are all human, and CAN screw up, with any instrument...(Have you ever hit your thumb with a hammer?)

But don't get me wrong, SOME if not MOST ADs are preventable, so SOME ridicule is in order...

...as we continue to learn and teach safety...

The only part on a gun that is inherently dangerous is if the nut behind the trigger is a little loose...

(OK, maybe not on Glocks.. )

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/21/02 1:06:13 pm)
    This is an excellent thread. Thumbs Up!

BlackGUN

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/21/02 1:47:31 pm)
    Where?

GG

gun runner john
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/21/02 1:59:03 pm)
    My AD came when I was about 13, or maybe 14. We were walking along in on a road hunting crows and magpies with .22's. I somehow managed to shoot one into the road about 10 feet in front of us, don't know why I was playing with the trigger, and I thought I had unloaded the gun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.