The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while now I've been thinking about a real SHTF situation. There is no one here but my wife, and I. I'm not bugging out, we will stay right here. As the crow flies, we are about 15 miles from any big city, Shreveport, LA. S'port has a population of about 200,000. By road it's about 25 miles. I know that I can't defend my property form inside my house, so I am preparing to defend from outside my house. I know what I can do, and I know what I am capable of. The question is how many can I defend my place from? If you bug out to a place that you have already chosen, and set up, how many can you defend your place from? And then there is the question of, "for how long". I'm 65, and not very mobile anymore. I think I can handle small groups, but what if the group isn't small? I have the fire power, but even a blind squirrel gets a nut now, and then! Meaning that if I was under fire, sooner, or later, someone is going to make a hit on me in a drawn out firefight. I'm thinking of building hidden rifle pits. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
That's a tough one Carver. Mostly it has to do with direction of access. If I think of my place groups could come from any direction. We only have windows on three sides so I'd probably stay with defending from inside our home. However, since the most likely approach would be to come up the road, my neighbors and I would be better off intercepting any group intent on attacking our properties from the front yards where we have a clear field of fire. It is only my wife and I here also but our 2 neighbors are usually home also so it is likely we would be defending together.

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have windows on all 4 sides of my house, but I can't look out all of them at the same time. If they come by vehicle, they would have to come down the road, only one side there. But they could approach the other three sides of my house thru the woods. On the SE side they could get with in 25 yards of the house before being seen.

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
In my case they could come through the south pasture where our horse is but once past the tree line there they are in full view. Brom the back they would have to cross the field after the barn and if they cross through the pasture where the sheep are thinking that the sheep are harmless they'd be in for a surprise because the ram in there would definitely run at someone and butt that person very hard and he weighs 250 lbs. On the north they'd have to cross past my neighbors house and all her dogs. Our dogs would sound off before anyone is within 25 yards... Our dogs are a definite plus.

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have two dogs in the yard, and one in the house. That's a pluss. But I feel that I need more ways to watch, or defend myself. Trip wires set to discharge a shotgun would help, but the dogs might set them off.

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
You have to be careful with things like trip wires. As I recall it's illegal in Calif. to booby trap your property.

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It probably is here to, though I haven't looked into it. SHTF = no law enforcement. But what I was thinking about was simply an alrarm, not trap to kill. Old shotgun tied to a tree pointing up, or to a log pointing along the ground, and the balst is just a warning.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I don't believe you could defend a position very long just you and your wife without real ordinance. Our plans is to bug out, hit and run and try to met up with another small group at pre-planned locations

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
well, during this summer I'll be exploring the mountains here on horseback to identify where there are caves large enough to be of use. That way if we have to go, we have somewhere to go to.

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have several heavy guns that will work well, but like you I don't think I could hold out long if the attacking group was very large. Five, or six, I might could manage, but a couple of dozen might be way more than I can deal with, unless they're really stupid!

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, during this summer I'll be exploring the mountains here on horseback to identify where there are caves large enough to be of use. That way if we have to go, we have somewhere to go to.
I know I could get lost in the old cutover behind my property, but I have no resources there. Water is available, but it's not my land so I could not do much as to preping it for our use.

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
If a large enough force was coming, I'd head for the caves. That way I got hit back using hit and run tactics.

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If a large enough force was coming, I'd head for the caves. That way I got hit back using hit and run tactics.
You got me thinkg of going into that old cutover to see what I might could do. Hide some food, clothes, and shelter materials in weather proof containers.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I have several heavy guns that will work well, but like you I don't think I could hold out long if the attacking group was very large. Five, or six, I might could manage, but a couple of dozen might be way more than I can deal with, unless they're really stupid!
Usually larger numbers have people who are there because of peer pressure and have little training and no dedication. After they see someone go down and get their first snort of blood and spilled intestines, they will be gone. A small group 10 or less, with some training will be really hard to stop.

You will have strike quickly and decisively to stun them and then either bug out during the confusion, or end it there.

I believe there are very few who can do what will need to be done when the SHTF

·
Registered
21,112 Posts
Carver are there any like-minded people you can depend on and make plans with?

It's hard to say, it would take several weeks for some looters to come that far out of town. They would raid everything in town first I would think

our ranch is 45 min away from our house and we have plans with 2 other families on the same road to control access to the road running to our place.
We have enough people and weapons to do this.
Without the road, people would have to walk 10 miles accross the countryside, in rough terrain to get to our place.

I think the best thing is to try to make alliances with people you can trust. Remember, you don't have to show them everything you have and I wouldn't until you can trust them.

maybe you can plan to take in a couple of people and provide them with a place to stay in exchange for them providing security?

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Carver are there any like-minded people you can depend on and make plans with? Not really. My son, his wife, and two kids, are supposed to come here in case of a bad situation, but you, and I both know that might not be possible.

It's hard to say, it would take several weeks for some looters to come that far out of town. They would raid everything in town first I would think. That's one of the things I'm counting on. All the folks between here, and there, thinning them out before they get here.

our ranch is 45 min away from our house and we have plans with 2 other families on the same road to control access to the road running to our place.
We have enough people and weapons to do this.
Without the road, people would have to walk 10 miles accross the countryside, in rough terrain to get to our place.

I think the best thing is to try to make alliances with people you can trust. Remember, you don't have to show them everything you have and I wouldn't until you can trust them. I have one neighbor that I might could work with. A young black man, and his family, live two doors down (about a 1/4 of a mile). He's young, strong, and a good worker.

maybe you can plan to take in a couple of people and provide them with a place to stay in exchange for them providing security? That could work, but it woundn't be just security. They would have to take turns working the garden, gathering wood, processing water, and all the rest that goes with this place!
:AR15firing:

·
Premium Member
12,996 Posts
Myles, just make sure your relationship is right with the one that counts the most. There is much more waiting for us than this anyhow. Fend them off the best you can and give it your all. Dont go down without a good fight. But, this place is just a stepping stone anyhow. Once this is over, it just gets better. ;)

·
Registered
451 Posts
It's good to ask these questions now, before you need the answers. I know I could not defend from my home. Too small, too open. There is a close network already in place. Just 5 of us, all adequately prepared, within 5 miles of each other and there is a first step plan. From there, there's one man who is in the loop and knows where we'll be headed next. As a backup, I have put some supplies in a relatives home 40 miles south. My go bag would sustain me and the wife for about 2 weeks, a little more if we stretch it. I'll carry what ammo I need initially and take the rest through battle field recovery.

·
Premium Member
3,871 Posts
just a suggestion..construct a "pill box" it worked very well for the Germans and Japanese.... otherwise its as DD said...

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Myles, just make sure your relationship is right with the one that counts the most. There is much more waiting for us than this anyhow. Fend them off the best you can and give it your all. Dont go down without a good fight. But, this place is just a stepping stone anyhow. Once this is over, it just gets better. ;)
The truth is that I'm not really worried about it! I'm right with God, and I believe just as you do! Spirtually I'm ready. But the body won't go with out a fight!:D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.