how much is enough ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oscarmayer, Apr 24, 2009.

1. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

yes wondering how much ammo do you keep on hand at home ? in my if the SHTF bag i keep 300 rounds of 308, and at least 100 rounds of handgun ammo caliber depending on my mood ??? but in the house i like to keep at least 500 rounds of every caliber i have . is that excessive ? :confused:

2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

My 2c? 500rds minimum. If I had a choice, I would go 1000rds of each.

3. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Double or tripple your stash!

4. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I'm beginning to wonder about this, I didn't have adequate supply before the hoarding began and now I will run out of some calibers. I didn't want to join in the hoarding behavior though.

5. SARG

SARG Member

When I purchased my Springfield Socom 16 two years ago I bought 4000 rounds of military 308 and about 500 rounds of premium commercial stuff...

..... but then I've always been an optimist ....... I realize there isn't any situation that would arise that I'd last long enough to shoot it all.

6. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

being very honest here is how I see it:

If I get below the 10K mark in any caliber of supplies then I start to panic
    and if the two 20MM ammo containers per caliber isn't full I am behind in reloading
    I always need more 30-06 ball ammo maybe next month or in June I will be able to pick up another few spam cans
    The way I figure it is that the kids the grand kids and on down the line can use it.

7. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Just like with guns, you can never have too many or too much. Just saying.

8. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

just did an inventory i'm way behind the norm. 22 lr = 1000 rds, 25acp= 100 rds, 32acp= 200 rds, 7.62x25= 250 rds,38spl= 500 rds,357= 200 rds,9mm= 1000 rds,45acp =1000rds,45colt= 250rds. 308 300rds,30/30 =100 rds, 12gauge 200 rds 303 brit= 1000rds

9. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Also consider reloading gear. Lee used to make a great little thing called the Lee Loader. Just the loader, a hammer and a bench. And you dont even need the bench, a floor will do. A few cans of powder, boxes of Pistol Primers and the bullets. You will have the capability to replace fired rounds quite quickly. Given any ammo shortage I would say It makes good sense.

Take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeEl9wZyabc&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2009
  10. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i used to reload, and learned the hard way reloading while having a few beers isn't a good idea , got away from it because as the little lady put it ffs "you're never home and when you are you're locked away in that damn garage of yours". so i sold off all my equipment and bought a new set of golf clubs but that also justified a second safe just for the ammo.

11. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thats why you should drink Scotch!

12. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Dosn't matter. If the police raid your house even if they got the wrong address, If they find a box and a half, it will be reported by MSM as an amount that exceeded the ammunition loaded up for the invasion of fortress Europe in WW II.

13. carver

This is what I started with, talk about portable!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  14. carver

I understand how you feel about this. My brother is in the same place you are. I have been telling him for years what was comming down the pike, but he wouldn't listen. Now he has a little ammo for the two or three guns he owns, and can't get any more. Personally, I have plenty of ammo, and am still adding to my supply, but I will not go into the store and buy all the ammo they have in stock in any caliber, unless it's the only one or two boxes left. I wish you the best in finding what you might need.

15. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

What you need is a brick mold. Make mortar bricks w/ the plastic box of ammo inside. Lay a patio of mortar pavers....;)