The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just never shot a .22 mag. My LGS has a cowboy style .22 revolver that comes with the extra .22mag cylinder. Im not sure on the make and model but he only wants $229 for it. I wasnt going to carry it I would just plink around with it.

· Premium Member
33,025 Posts
Buy it! My brother has one that I have shot, and Black Eagle has one that I have shot. I will be buying one myself very soon. As to power increase, it's almost double.

· Premium Member
20,206 Posts
I have a Ruger Blackhawk that came with the extra cylinder for 22 mag. There is a big difference. THe 22 mag is a powerful little round.

· Registered
97 Posts
i have said many times in and out of forums that the .22WWMR is by far the worlds mis understood round. The .22 mag. is atleast 30 % stronger in velosity , energey delevered, and effective range. I have seen reports of .22 mags that have killed brown bears by hitting them in the head. Do not under estimate the .22 mag. Shoot well

bigdad5

· Registered
1,175 Posts
I think it's significantly more powerful than the .22LR. Enough that there are many manufacturer's out there that actually make self defense loads for the Magnum. Never mind the 9-round revolvers, this pistol holds 30 rounds

· Registered
741 Posts
Get it you will never regret it. The revolver is fun to shoot and with dual cylinders you can just swap on the fly or on unsuspectin friends:D:D:D

· Banned
14,431 Posts
guy at range told me u can see flames from .22 mag pistol?
that's for damn sure!!! and it's LOUD!!!

I just bought what I think you guys are talking about. a Heritage Rough Rider with the .22 mag cylinder. I was at my lgs and their indoor range last night and lit off 6 of the mags when other guys came over to see what I was shooting.

too bad the .22 mags are about 4 times the price of .22lr ($13/50)

· Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I had a Ruger Single Six that had both cylinders.I kick myself for selling it.It was lots of fun to shoot.Be careful with the cylinders though, I was told the 22WMR's would fit in the .22lr cyl. of mine and could be dangerous if shot through that cyl.I personally don't know as I never did it so I'm not completly sure if that is correct. Joe

· Premium Member
33,025 Posts
I had a Ruger Single Six that had both cylinders.I kick myself for selling it.It was lots of fun to shoot.Be careful with the cylinders though, I was told the 22WMR's would fit in the .22lr cyl. of mine and could be dangerous if shot through that cyl.I personally don't know as I never did it so I'm not completly sure if that is correct. Joe
Actually the .22 mag, and the .22LR are not the same diaimeter. The mag being larger, also if the mag would fit in the LR cylinder they would stick out past the end of the cylinder, and it wouldn't close.

· Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I didn't know that.I always thought it was the same O.D. but longer.Thanks for clearing that up. Joe

· Registered
314 Posts
I believe the 22 WMR travels at 2,000 fps. On you tube there is a video where they test the killing power of a 22 lr out to 450yds. It only needs 59ft.lbs. to be lethal. They stopped at 450 yds. But could of gone farther. Of course the accuracy could be limited with the lighter bullet with a cross wind. Just some food for thought. The 22 lr bullet still had the killing power at 450yds. I wonder how the 22 WMR stats factor in with the longer range shooting?

I have a ruger single six in 22lr & 22WMR with a 6" barrel. I haven't played with it too much yet. My marlin 782 bolt action rifle scoped IN 22 WMR will shoot the x ring out at 100yds.

· Registered
3,527 Posts
I have shot ground hogs with both. When a chuck gets hit with a .22 LR in the chest he says: "Oh crap, I've been shot! Gonna try to run. Nope, I'm putting my tail straight up. Gonna die now. I'm dead."

with the .22 mag he says: " nothin "!

I picture it like this. Being hit with a golf ball v. getting hit with a baseball thrown by a pro pitcher.

This thread did raise a question. If the mag is wider how can the single six and others handle both with just a cylinder change??? and still be accurate??? (which they are.):confused:

· Registered
5 Posts
I have killed hogs and yotes with both calibers . the 22lr I would not try killing past 30 or so yards. the 22mag I have killed 75 -80 yds. I also have the 5mm which is a little hotter than the 22mag , but is very accurate out 120 yds. the 5mm at bolt is 33,000 psi , the 22mag is 25,ooo at bolt. best thing to do is to look up .. chuck Hawkes rimfire . or look on rimfirecentral.com or 5mmforum. com

· Registered
97 Posts
This thread did raise a question. If the mag is wider how can the single six and others handle both with just a cylinder change??? and still be accurate??? (which they are.):confused:
jstgsn no one has answered your question I will do so for you. Yes the projectiles of the .22 LR and .22WWMR are the same and yes the casings are wider on the WWMR. The answer to your question is the casings of the WWMR have a greater OD ( Outside Diameter ) than do the long Rifle shells. Because of the case length difference of the WWMR the OD is greater and so is the wall thickness leaving the ID ( Inside Diameter ) the same. And my friend that is how the bigger casing will shoot the same projectile from the same diameter barrel. shoot well

bigdad5

· Registered
1,861 Posts
I have killed hogs and yotes with both calibers . the 22lr I would not try killing past 30 or so yards. the 22mag I have killed 75 -80 yds. I also have the 5mm which is a little hotter than the 22mag , but is very accurate out 120 yds. the 5mm at bolt is 33,000 psi , the 22mag is 25,ooo at bolt. best thing to do is to look up .. chuck Hawkes rimfire . or look on rimfirecentral.com or 5mmforum. com
I like the .22 WMR as well, far more rifle than the .22lr.. For several years now I have been carrying a 5MM Remington Mag, and I have to agree it is about the same jump from the .22WRM to it as from the .22 long rifle load. I have found no other rime fire that will pierce 3/16" steel plate other than the 5MM. Shots on coyotes at less than 150 yards will most times make an exit hole. Praire dogs don't like the 5MM much either from what I have found! I have even shot a fat beef steer for a friend that had gotten loose when loading it for a trip to the local meat locker. It had been missing for two days, and was standing in his yard that morning when he called. Easy 40 yard shot, and it worked well enough for a head shot on a 1,300 lb. steer. Consider me a fan...

Regards, Kirk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.