The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you clean your pocket pistol? I clean mine once a week if it hasn't been shot or exposed to extra dirt and debris.( Note to self leave pistol in truck when using chainsaw:duh:) It is usually pretty clean but there have been a couple times I was surprised by the number of dust bunnys waiting to team up with Murphy.:eek:

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
My SCCY seems to attract crud down in around the hammer, which has resulted in a no-fire twice now. Luckily one varmint was a copperhead and the other was an armadillo. Both stuck around long enough for me to lock the slide back and blow the "dust bunny" or whatever it was, out and chamber another round. Now I check it pretty much daily and give it a blast or two of air when I'm in the shop. Been a good pistol but getting ready to go over to a striker fire that doesn't have that problem.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
Aromatherapy 😍
4,302 Posts
Every couple days, after work (sawmill), I usually pull the mag and clear the chamber then blow it off with compressed air. I also like to clean and oil at least once a month.

Reactions: ral357

·
Premium Member
14,045 Posts
Mine doesn't get very dirty since I retired and if I'm going to shoot, a semi-auto handgun is about my last choice so, my little Bersa Thunder gets cleaned at least annually, whether it needs it or not....unless by some chance I do happen to shoot the thing. Then I clean it.

Reactions: ms6852 and joe45c

·
Registered
568 Posts
Often. It's a stainless revolver so a bore snake at the range immediately after shooting suffices until it can be cleaned properly

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
My G43 and G42 will both go about 800 rounds before I feel like the trigger starts to hang up. My Ruger Mark IV goes about 500 rounds before I get a feed jam.

·
Garandaholic
9,549 Posts
striker fire that doesn't have that problem.
The whole time I had a striker fired pistol in my pocket I'd be thinking I have a cocked weapon pointing at my junk.
I know it's just my weird hangup with striker fired pistols, but I just feel better seeing what that hammer is doing.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
The whole time I had a striker fired pistol in my pocket I'd be thinking I have a cocked weapon pointing at my junk.
I know it's just my weird hangup with striker fired pistols, but I just feel better seeing what that hammer is doing.
Back when PDs were seriously considering phasing out revolvers and going to auto loaders in general and Glocks in particular, I had some amusing exchanges with various LEOs regarding the latter pistol. When asked my opinion on the Glock I'd ask what they were currently carrying. It was usually a Smith Model 36 or a 2" barrel Model 10 - about 90% in an IWB holster. I'd ask them to unload the revolver and hand it to me. After making sure it was indeed cleared I'd cock the hammer, hand it back, tell 'em to tuck it into their IWB holster, then ask how they'd feel toting a striker fired pistol. I'd also mention that the winner of a recent law enforcement gun goof prize was the Glock - holes in desks, floors, walls and ceilings, the occasional pants leg etc. I've nothing against auto loaders - having carried an M1911A1 cocked & locked for about 30 years, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with a Glock. But that's just me.

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,252 Posts
I'm getting to be embarrassed to show my EDC piece to customers - the lint and dust that accumulates so quickly isn't going to inspire anyone to want to buy a gun just like mine. I really have to get on that, but it's hard to find the time.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My G43 and G42 will both go about 800 rounds before I feel like the trigger starts to hang up. My Ruger Mark IV goes about 500 rounds before I get a feed jam.
You pocket carry a Ruger MK IV????:eek: Nothing personal but you've got some big pockets:rotfl::rotfl:

·
11,140 Posts
I'm getting to be embarrassed to show my EDC piece to customers - the lint and dust that accumulates so quickly isn't going to inspire anyone to want to buy a gun just like mine. I really have to get on that, but it's hard to find the time.
I don't show mine to anybody, I don't want people knowing I have it.

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,252 Posts
I don't show mine to anybody, I don't want people knowing I have it.
Nor do I, normally, but I work in a gun store and sometimes need to unload it and let a customer check the fit. The boss is too cheap to keep one on hand, even though customers generally love this model.

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I just picked up a Taurus G2C at Academy, first purchase on a their credit card so 15% off, walked out with it and five 100-packs of CCI small pistol primers for $224. Hopefully get to run some rounds through it tomorrow. I like it so far for fit and finish. I don't pocket carry so not a concern about shooting myself in the gonads. It has a pretty substantial trigger pull, has a manual safety as well as the "trigger tang" as I call them. Friggin mags are expensive though but I found out that the SIG P226 one fits so ordered a couple of 18 rounders from Classic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts