How often

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by ral357, Jan 20, 2020.

1. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Do you clean your pocket pistol? I clean mine once a week if it hasn't been shot or exposed to extra dirt and debris.( Note to self leave pistol in truck when using chainsaw:duh:) It is usually pretty clean but there have been a couple times I was surprised by the number of dust bunnys waiting to team up with Murphy.:eek:

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I knock the dust out of it ever month or so.

Suicide*Ride, TreeDave, Broot and 3 others like this.

3. SeeMor Guns

SeeMor Guns Well-Known Member

I shoot mine several times a month so.....several times a month.

4. flboots

flboots Well-Known Member

After I shoot it.

5. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Well-Known Member

^^^ agree, only after shooting it, but my J-frame rides in a holster so it's not really a pocket carry.

shootbrownelk and tedwitt like this.
  6. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

My SCCY seems to attract crud down in around the hammer, which has resulted in a no-fire twice now. Luckily one varmint was a copperhead and the other was an armadillo. Both stuck around long enough for me to lock the slide back and blow the "dust bunny" or whatever it was, out and chamber another round. Now I check it pretty much daily and give it a blast or two of air when I'm in the shop. Been a good pistol but getting ready to go over to a striker fire that doesn't have that problem.

7. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT No Power Options Supporting Member

Striker fire...um...Glock?
    :stir:

8. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

Ruger.

gdmoody and shootbrownelk like this.
  9. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

Only when I shoot it, otherwise I make sure there isn't any tootsie rolls or toothpicks stuck in the barrel.

10. Broot

Broot Well-Known Mumbler Supporting Member

Every couple days, after work (sawmill), I usually pull the mag and clear the chamber then blow it off with compressed air. I also like to clean and oil at least once a month.

ral357 likes this.
  11. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Mine doesn't get very dirty since I retired and if I'm going to shoot, a semi-auto handgun is about my last choice so, my little Bersa Thunder gets cleaned at least annually, whether it needs it or not....unless by some chance I do happen to shoot the thing. Then I clean it.

ms6852 and joe45c like this.
  12. Hovannes

Hovannes Well-Known Member

Often. It's a stainless revolver so a bore snake at the range immediately after shooting suffices until it can be cleaned properly

13. bumblebee

bumblebee Well-Known Member

My G43 and G42 will both go about 800 rounds before I feel like the trigger starts to hang up. My Ruger Mark IV goes about 500 rounds before I get a feed jam.

14. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

The whole time I had a striker fired pistol in my pocket I'd be thinking I have a cocked weapon pointing at my junk.
    I know it's just my weird hangup with striker fired pistols, but I just feel better seeing what that hammer is doing.

ral357 and Suicide*Ride like this.
  15. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Back when PDs were seriously considering phasing out revolvers and going to auto loaders in general and Glocks in particular, I had some amusing exchanges with various LEOs regarding the latter pistol. When asked my opinion on the Glock I'd ask what they were currently carrying. It was usually a Smith Model 36 or a 2" barrel Model 10 - about 90% in an IWB holster. I'd ask them to unload the revolver and hand it to me. After making sure it was indeed cleared I'd cock the hammer, hand it back, tell 'em to tuck it into their IWB holster, then ask how they'd feel toting a striker fired pistol. I'd also mention that the winner of a recent law enforcement gun goof prize was the Glock - holes in desks, floors, walls and ceilings, the occasional pants leg etc. I've nothing against auto loaders - having carried an M1911A1 cocked & locked for about 30 years, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with a Glock. But that's just me.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020