The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I am getting a bit long in the tooth myself and seem to have developed a fondness for shall we say vintage firearms I was just curious. How old does a gun have to be for this status? I have a remington model 14 in 30 rem that is 101 years old and just refuses to act it’s age and just continues to hunt hard and kills with deadly precision. I also have a MS 1905 that will turn 100 next year that I just recently returned to the field. By comparison my 303 Jungle Carbine is a spry 76 years old but added to the larder last year. I am not a collector but a hunter who enjoys using these fine crafted arms for their intended purpose despite the challenges they entail. As you might imagine I have to reload as some of their calibers are no longer commercially loaded. Good shooting and good hunting.

·
Administrator
11,980 Posts
A curio or relic is a firearm still in its' original configuration as it came from the manufacturer. Or is on a list from the ATF that is of special as a collectible.

To be recognized as C&R items, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

1. Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas of such firearms;
  2. Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and
  3. Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
Yeah the general rule is 50 years old or older, but there are exceptions both ways, such as “all military Bolt actions” so while very few were made in the past 50 years if so they would count. SOME semi auto military rifles are also CR with no age limit. But some like AK47s (very few made so VERY collectible) and AKMs (what everyone who says “AK47” is actually referring to) will never be CR unless some future President cancels Bill Clinton’s executive order. Full auto doesn’t matter, many NFA weapons are also CR, you just have to still pay the NFA tax on it, unless it’s pre 1898 then it’s an “antique” not a CR or NFA.

The CR list is a good read, and like all guv’ment lists will leave you scratching your head, with “why this gun and not that one?” And you see wierd stuff like the 1897 French 75mm howitzer is considered an antique and can be owned by anyone without any paperwork, but the IDENTICAL 1917 US 75mm howitzer that fires the exact same round (that believe it or not guys still shoot in cannon shoots!) is CR/NFA.

I guess if you paid the tax you could have UPS tow one to your door?🤔😉

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
"Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas of such firearms"

So, it looks like if we wait long enough, most of the newer arms will be C&R. :D
Thinking the Remington XP 100 being first made in 1963 is a C&R? ;)
So, with that in mind, does the C&R still have to go thru an FFL?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
"Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas of such firearms"

So, it looks like if we wait long enough, most of the newer arms will be C&R. :D
Thinking the Remington XP 100 being first made in 1963 is a C&R? ;)
So, with that in mind, does the C&R still have to go thru an FFL?
Yes or you can get a curio and relic license and have them sent to your home. Anything made before 1898 doesn't have to go through an FFL.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
A curio or relic is a firearm still in its' original configuration as it came from the manufacturer. Or is on a list from the ATF that is of special as a collectible.

To be recognized as C&R items, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

1. Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas of such firearms...
Don't know if I should be excited or feel bad. I'm guessing many here are in same boat. That have C&R's due to weapon's age that never even thought of them being old.
Can't imagine a Titan 38spl from TG&Y being a C&R!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts