The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a US Revolver 38 cal 5 shot revolver with a serial # of D 2692 and am trying to find out when it was made...??

·
Premium Member
7,897 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
U.S. Revolver Co. revolvers were made by Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works as a way to use up leftover parts from the black powder 2nd Model Safety Automatic.
I don't have the book in front of me right now but they started using the letter prefix on the U.S. line starting in either 1915 or 1917. Lower 4 digit with the prefix would put it right in that range. I'll check the book tonight and update.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Just checked the book.
"D" prefix is a hammerless version which had a couple of lean years of production when the letter prefix was first used.
Letter prefix's started in 1917 and your revolver dates to the earlier part of 1919.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just checked the book.
"D" prefix is a hammerless version which had a couple of lean years of production when the letter prefix was first used.
Letter prefix's started in 1917 and your revolver dates to the earlier part of 1919.
Thank you so much johnsx for your response, wasn't able find on the net and am wondering what book you referencing... might help me in future endeavors? Does this book tell you if it is made to user smokeless powder?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Thank you so much johnsx for your response, wasn't able find on the net and am wondering what book you referencing... might help me in future endeavors? Does this book tell you if it is made to user smokeless powder?
The book I'm referring to is "Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works Firearms 1871-1993" by W.E. Goforth.
It's been out of print for a while and copies seem to go up in price when listed online.
Your revolver was made for use with black powder ammunition.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The book I'm referring to is "Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works Firearms 1871-1993" by W.E. Goforth.
It's been out of print for a while and copies seem to go up in price when listed online.
Your revolver was made for use with black powder ammunition.
Thanks again johnsx, your info is very helpful!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a new copy of mr goforth's ij book from gun show books. Not cheap, but it is amazingly detailed and came quickly and well packed. Mine is the 2nd edition, which i recommend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts