The Firearms Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you could go out shooting on your own? I was 10. The RR tracks were 75 yards from the house. It was 1/4 mile from the tracks to the city dump and another 1/4 mile to the trestle. I'd go to the dump and shoot all day with my Browning SA. Or walk halfway across the trestle and shoot stuff floating downstream. I got a .22 SA revolver for my 10th birthday and that made it a lot more fun. I couldn't ride a bike on the road until I bought my own at 16 but I could go shoot by myself.

·
Premium Member
12,646 Posts
Growing up in California snuggled together with 30 million of my closest friends I couldn’t go shooting on my own until I turned 18. Got my first gun, a 12 gauge BPS for Christmas on my 12th birthday but started shouting around 10 if memory serves.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I was 12 my parents bought a house as an estate with everything in it. Up in the garage rafters was a Stevens Favorite 22lr. That became my first gun (still have it 60 years later). The next five summers were spent as a ‘hired man’ on my Uncles farm. Sundays, after church, I got to take that 22 down to the woods to see what I could hit. The chamber was/is eroded from corrosive ammo so I always shot 22 shorts. It was my ‘squirrel’ gun until I was in college and got a Marlin 60. Good times.

·
Premium Member
17,601 Posts
Mom & Dad gave me my first rifle for my 5th Christmas, a J.C. Higgins single shot, bolt action 22 rifle ordered from Sears. A couple years later they gave me a bolt action, .410 shotgun with a 2 round magazine. It too was a J.C. Higgins. They were mine but I wasn't allowed to hunt by myself until I was 11 or 12. We didn't just "go shooting", game was expected unless I bought my own ammo...and sometimes did. With money "earned" picking up soda bottles and selling them back to Vincent's Shell Station. I either walked the couple blocks out of town or saddled up my faithful Western Flyer and we'd ride out of town in style. Can you imagine that happening today?

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
I was 12,our dream was the "old guys/17-18" taking us to the town open dump,oh Lord,it was pure heaven,throw a Molotov in the middle,rats a running,pure Heaven.I had a bolt action .22 that was pretty well sight regulated and it was a thrill every time rat tumbled to his last reward.I thank God I lived in real America.

·
Premium Member
21,680 Posts
My Grandfather got me a bb gun when I was about 10 years old. My dad & mom never cared where or when I shot it. When I turned 14 I bought my own 22. It was a Revelation Model 100 from Western Auto. My parents didn't care when or where I shot it as long as I didn't get in trouble. I never did. I still have it and it's still very accurate.

·
Premium Member
22,370 Posts
I was 12,our dream was the "old guys/17-18" taking us to the town open dump,oh Lord,it was pure heaven,throw a Molotov in the middle,rats a running,pure Heaven.I had a bolt action .22 that was pretty well sight regulated and it was a thrill every time rat tumbled to his last reward.I thank God I lived in real America.
PETA would be all over you now a days if you harmed one of their Rats!:(

·
Registered
862 Posts
My old man bought me a Marlin 1897 carbine for my 5th birthday. Marlin was to heavy for me so OM made me Buffalo Sticks to help hold it up. I wasn’t allowed to go on my own till 8. Then I was given 4 shorts and a Stevens Maynard Jr. I was only allowed to go on hill close to house and only by myself.
I was suppose to have a squirrel for every short, or put them back in box. Was 10 before I was allowed to go with buddies and 12 before I was allowed a 22 pistol. OM didn’t believe in 410s, I got a 12g
Stevens 94 when I was 6.

Absolutely no BB gun. I grew up during the fad of BB gun battles. Several kids in my small town had eyes out. No Joke. Cops would see 3 or 4 kids with rifles heading down in river bottoms or dump and pay no attention. One kid with a BB gun would get a ride home in back of cruiser.

·
Premium Member
14,009 Posts
10 or 12. My Dad would hand me ten rounds of .22 and his Winchester 04a single shot, I'd stroll the quarter mile or so to my cousin's farm, set up an informal "target" on a twig out at 20 yards or so and try my hand. Upon return to the house Dad would want to see ten fired cases and he'd critique my shooting skills. His 04a lives in the rifle rack behind me - lots of fond memories there.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mom & Dad gave me my first rifle for my 5th Christmas, a J.C. Higgins single shot, bolt action 22 rifle ordered from Sears. A couple years later they gave me a bolt action, .410 shotgun with a 2 round magazine. It too was a J.C. Higgins. They were mine but I wasn't allowed to hunt by myself until I was 11 or 12. We didn't just "go shooting", game was expected unless I bought my own ammo...and sometimes did. With money "earned" picking up soda bottles and selling them back to Vincent's Shell Station. I either walked the couple blocks out of town or saddled up my faithful Western Flyer and we'd ride out of town in style. Can you imagine that happening today?
Dad gave me my Browning SA when I was three. I was five before I could shoot it. I had to learn to shoot from the hip because I couldn't reach the trigger. I did have a Daisy cub I could shoot whenever but I had to put the muzzle on the ground and use both hands to cock it.

·
GUNZILLA
9,096 Posts
Growing up in Presidio Texas back then in the 60's dad allowed me to by a daisy BB gun for $5.35 with money earned I was about 8 yrs old. Was allowed to hunt on my own with it, our backyard was as far as the eye could see until I was stopped by the Rio Grande. I did hunt with my father and we shared the 30-06 that was a loaner. Funny thing is that about 3 times a week I would ride Cinnamon, a friends horse to school and he always had a Sears 22 lr rifle in the scabbard. On the way to school we would shoot at jackrabbits , lizards and anything that crossed our path and he would take the rifle to the principle's office where it was safeguarded. Parents never knew but I never told either. I was allowed to hunt on my own when I joined the Army and bought my first firearm a 686 when I was 25 years old. After the Army was when the bottom fell off and started acquiring whatever I wanted , my wife did not care.

·
Registered
Pensacola Florida
3,898 Posts
I squirrel hunted with my Dad probably starting at 6. I was allowed to go by myself when I was 9, in fact the first time I went alone I killed 2 squirrels, 2 shots. I was using his 20 ga Remington which I still have. In fact I still have all of his guns, 3 shotguns and a 22 rifle.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts