The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
17 years ago at age 23 I was the President of the Ladies Auxiliary of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6353.....
My Chaplain was Shirley Nunes, her husband Danny was a member of the VFW I believe he was a Korean War Veteran...
One summer day when the hay fields were high they were on there way to Fortuna, a truck entered the little intersection on there country road killing them both.
The next week there was a double funeral mass at the Catholic Church. It was packed almost no standing room.
In front were two caskets side by side one draped with the American flag one with yellow roses and purple Iris'
sent by the Auxiliary.
My ladies sat, as I leaned on the confession booth watching grown men weep....
Towards the end the Father called on people who knew them well to speak....
I felt my Secretary give me a shove down the aisle...
It seemed as if there were hundreds of people...
How was I going to get through this? All I knew was at that moment all those people were grieving and felt as if there was no Hope....
I can't remember all I said that day, but the Father wouldn't lend me his Bible so I told the people I would have to go by memory.
Hast thou not known? Hast thou not heard?
That the Everlasting God the Lord the creator of the ends earth fainteth not nether is weary, there is no searching of his understanding.
He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have might HE increases strength.
Even the youth shall faint and be weary and the young men shall utterly fall:
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength;
they shall mount up with wings as eagle's; they shall run, and not be weary ; and they shall walk and not faint.

So the next Spring there was a calf born on the Nunes Dairy
I bought her, and asked Danny Jr. if he minded if I named her Shirley......
In Loving Memory of the two Shirley's who taught me so much.

·
*VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*
25,943 Posts
The very expressive words and moods you selected served well as you related events
and conditions of the time and its challenges. Yes, I had pondered the name of your
much loved cow...thank you for sharing...Chief

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The very expressive words and moods you selected served well as you related events
and conditions of the time and its challenges. Yes, I had pondered the name of your
much loved cow...thank you for sharing...Chief
Thank you Chief for caring.... It's been a hard time...

·
TFF Chaplain
19,299 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Rae Harrison

·
Registered
472 Posts
Well done. God is faithful to them that are faithful to Him. May the God of Pease be in you and with you. His arm is strong you can lean on Him. Cast all your cares apron Him because He cares for you. He loves YOU soooooooo much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts