The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a good shot as is, but i want to work and be an even better shot. Any tips or inexpensive things to get to make me a more precise shooter? Any input is appreciated.

Reactions: carver and Potter

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is always the best way to learn. any tips? and its not too expensive for me shooting .223 reloads

·
Registered
7,561 Posts
A quality bi-pod works wonders, also a decent bag for the rear of the stock, heavier profile barrel, decent to good optics, stocks that allows proper cheek weld. There's many things that can be done, those are just a few but the cheepest way has already been said, pratice, pratice, pratice.

Also reload your own rounds. It's amazing how inaccurate factory loaded ammo is.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A quality bi-pod works wonders, also a decent bag for the rear of the stock, heavier profile barrel, decent to good optics, stocks that allows proper cheek weld. There's many things that can be done, those are just a few but the cheepest way has already been said, pratice, pratice, pratice.

Also reload your own rounds. It's amazing how inaccurate factory loaded ammo is.
Thank you. i am looking at a good bipod. i have bags and a good scope. i do my own reloads now. just started.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Being a good shot is, to me, a relative term. Hitting a bulls eye at distance, every time, is one form of being a good shot. Being able to hit a moving target is another. No matter what your discipline is, proper practice is the only thing that will make you a better shot. Proper practice means being able to reproduce a good shot every time. Grip, stance, timing, it all comes into play, and must be repeatable every time to be successful at being a good shot. Some critique, and instruction from an expert won't hurt either!

·
Premium Member
12,401 Posts
The man who taught me more about long range shooting than I ever would have learned by myself was in the early 70's the 600 yard individual champion at Camp Perry. He also had a wry way with words. In addition he was a very good marksman in several other disciplines. Wayne reduced it to a most succinct comment. "Shooting is all between your ears. There ain't but three things to shooting, sight picture, breath control and trigger control. Master them and you master shooting".

·
Registered
7,561 Posts
Thank you. i am looking at a good bipod. i have bags and a good scope. i do my own reloads now. just started.
What rifle are you using in this new discipline? The reason I ask is because I've just dove into precision AR's within the last couple months. I had a lot higher expectations at the beginning than I do now. An AR will only be so precise, I expected more out of the platform at first.

Don't get me wrong an AR can be sub MOA all day long given the right build but it'll cost to get there. Then there's the issue with effective distance out of the .223/5.56 cartridge.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What rifle are you using in this new discipline? The reason I ask is because I've just dove into precision AR's within the last couple months. I had a lot higher expectations at the beginning than I do now. An AR will only be so precise, I expected more out of the platform at first.

Don't get me wrong an AR can be sub MOA all day long given the right build but it'll cost to get there. Then there's the issue with effective distance out of the .223/5.56 cartridge.
for my sharp shooting im using a pardner .223 single shot. its accurate at 300 yrds now but i want to push 500 or more. id like to push my ar out to 300 yrds

·
Registered
7,561 Posts
for my sharp shooting im using a pardner .223 single shot. its accurate at 300 yrds now but i want to push 500 or more. id like to push my ar out to 300 yrds
Easily doable with both rifles, keep us updated on your progress.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Easily doable with both rifles, keep us updated on your progress.
shot about 100 rounds through both today. got my ar shooting 3/4 moa at 200 with 75 gr amax handloads. the single shot i pushed out to 250 with 55 gr fmj handloads.

·
Registered
7,561 Posts
Sounds excellent to me. Anything MOA or better out of the AR platform I consider better than your average shooter. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
Consistent trigger control is crucial. Dry fire a lot. Know when the trigger breaks exactly.

Breathing control will help you place the sights on the target at predictable points.

Don't consume caffeine before you shoot. Join a club or a league and shoot with guys that know how.

Use survey tape and gauge the wind.

Wear the best hearing protection you can get, the report makes you flinch and it makes it seem like the recoil is heavier than it really is. I use plugs and muffs both.

Don't keep shooting after you get tired, you're wasting ammo and developing bad habits and a flinch once your shoulder and ears are fatigued.

Shoot. A lot.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds excellent to me. Anything MOA or better out of the AR platform I consider better than your average shooter. ;)
Thanks. I use hand loaded match amax bullets. just switching to hand loads that are heavier (i have a 1:7 twist) shrunk my groups alot

·
Registered
7,561 Posts
I shoot with a 1:7 in my precission AR as well. It really likes the 69 and 77 Grain Sierra Matchkings. Once it warms up more i'd like to try out some 80+ grain bullets, they'll have to be hand feed into the chamber from everything i'm reading. Can't get them seated deep enough to fit in a mag.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I shoot with a 1:7 in my precission AR as well. It really likes the 69 and 77 Grain Sierra Matchkings. Once it warms up more i'd like to try out some 80+ grain bullets, they'll have to be hand feed into the chamber from everything i'm reading. Can't get them seated deep enough to fit in a mag.
for my 75 gr hornadys i am seating deep on 24.5 gr of hodgden varget compressed just to get them to feed. but i found that compressing really helped my grouping.

·
Registered
7,561 Posts
Right now i'm tinkering with a LEE factory crimp die. So far I've had very good results without crimping at all. I just run about .002 thousands neck tension and the bullet is in there good, can't push it in any ferther by pressing the bullet into the side of my bench with my 220# leaning on it.

Some guys swear by a crimp, some guys swear by no crimp. I shall see what my rifle likes ;).

·
Premium Member
12,401 Posts
I don't know the situation where you live and if you have a garage or basement it really doesn't matter. A decent pellet rifle can give you all kinds of practice on your form on the really, really cheap. Those three elements I mentioned, sight picture, breath control and trigger control can really be practiced.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Right now i'm tinkering with a LEE factory crimp die. So far I've had very good results without crimping at all. I just run about .002 thousands neck tension and the bullet is in there good, can't push it in any ferther by pressing the bullet into the side of my bench with my 220# leaning on it.

Some guys swear by a crimp, some guys swear by no crimp. I shall see what my rifle likes ;).
I use the lee factory crimp in mine. I tried it both ways with good results using crimp.

I don't know the situation where you live and if you have a garage or basement it really doesn't matter. A decent pellet rifle can give you all kinds of practice on your form on the really, really cheap. Those three elements I mentioned, sight picture, breath control and trigger control can really be practiced.
I have a few pellet rifles that I shoot ALOT. With my benjamin prowler nitro piston. 177 I can hit a 3 inch spinner at 75 yards.

Reactions: rawright54
1 - 20 of 38 Posts