The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I tried to figure out how to hunt pigs in wildlife management areas here in Florida, and it was so complicated, I gave up and went out back and hunted squirrels. I think I finally have a good method. Set up a backpack chair, be quiet, and wait for the squirrels to come to me. I only brought one squirrel home, but that was because I chose a .22 with no scope. I couldn't shoot in just any direction I wanted. If I had taken the Sweet Sixteen, it would have rained squirrels.

Question: what do most people do about carrying dead squirrels? I've seen turkey vests recommended. I didn't know what one was until today.

I would like to be able to carry dead squirrels, a few rounds of ammo, a call, and my reading glasses.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Premium Member
12,300 Posts
Cut a "squirrel stick." I usually cut a little hickory limb about 3/8 diameter and 8 inches long. Once I peel off the bark with a pocket knife it usually ends up about 1/4 in. Sharpen one end, I use a slanted cut. When you get a squirrel, find the space between the bones in the middle of the squirrels hind foot. Near the ankle and between the bones, make a slit with your pocket knife. Shove the sharpened end of the stick through the slit. Voila'! A squirrel with a carrying handle. You can easily get 4-6 squirrels on one. If you're still hunting as I like to do you just lay the squirrels down then retrieve them when you either get the squirrel or lose that battle of wits and move on.

I never much cared for the game vests but lots like them. They're ok for birds but for squirrels and rabbits we always used the sticks.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Called a Bird vest, consisting of front pockets , Shotgun shell carriers and a pouch in the rear for the Game. It levees your hands free to move and shoot View attachment 242454
well always called it a "shell Vest" my gramma was seamstress when she was young and always made us one when we turned 12 and could legally hunt. Mine was set up in 410 as that was the gun i shot best with I was 5"7 and 65lbs when i was 12.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Cut a "squirrel stick." I usually cut a little hickory limb about 3/8 diameter and 8 inches long. Once I peel off the bark with a pocket knife it usually ends up about 1/4 in. Sharpen one end, I use a slanted cut. When you get a squirrel, find the space between the bones in the middle of the squirrels hind foot. Near the ankle and between the bones, make a slit with your pocket knife. Shove the sharpened end of the stick through the slit. Voila'! A squirrel with a carrying handle. You can easily get 4-6 squirrels on one. If you're still hunting as I like to do you just lay the squirrels down then retrieve them when you either get the squirrel or lose that battle of wits and move on.

I never much cared for the game vests but lots like them. They're ok for birds but for squirrels and rabbits we always used the sticks.
This is the way I was taught to carry them.

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,300 Posts
Reactions: tedwitt
1 - 20 of 42 Posts