The Firearms Forum banner
41 - 60 of 707 Posts
As far as feedback goes, I for one can't think of anything to say. Every set of grips is a work of art. I perused your site in the signature a bit, and some of the grips are pretty enought that I almost want to buy a set even though I don't own a 1911 yet. :D I was especially drawn to the micarta ones with the silver diablo flower medallion.

As far as taking the pictures goes, are you using a flash or other sources of light? Using other lamps would allow you to get the lighting and angle just right for your pictures, and you could skip the camera's flash in that case.

Discussion starter · #42 ·
Back in post #11 I showed you a set of AZ Desert Ironwood grips that I made for a Mag Well. This beautiful set of grips went on a Les Baer and the gentleman sent me his frame so I could get a good wood to metal fit. Today I want to show you how good the grips look on the gun. The Les Baer also has a ambi safety, this is a sweet looking gun. Wish it was mine. The grain in this ironwood burl is one of the best I have used. This type of wood is very hard to come by, especially this much burl. The grain just swirls and has the dark contrast and all kinds of colors, from orange to almost black. You could almost call this flame desert ironwood.
I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Beautiful work.
Thanks so much. It is a labor of love. I really enjoy working with wood and seeing the beauty of each piece, each and every piece is unique. I also enjoy working with my hands, and creating new designs and other things.
Again, Thanks for the kind words. Keeping looking, I will post again either tonight or tomorrow.
Carl

Discussion starter · #45 ·
The grips for the day is a set of Micarta with a Diablo Flower Medallion inset into the grips. This makes for a very nice looking set of grips. I had rather work with real wood so I can get the beauty of the grain. I posted this particular set for PRIZE FIGHTER, he had shown interest in them and I promised I would post them.

Discussion starter · #46 ·
This is a close up of a 1/2 inch dot inlay made out of crushed Mother of Pearl. It looks really neat and is not hard to do at all. If you have a stock or grips that you would like to dress up, this is an excellent way to do it. If there is interest, let me know and I will explain the technique. You can use any shape but the round is the easiest, because you can drill the hole and not have to cut it in.
Enjoy the beauty.

Discussion starter · #47 ·
The grips shown are for sample only. They are made out of a piece of Chestnut Laminate. One of them is stippled with the one half design and left plain, the other has the same design only with a darkened background, which shows more contrast. The purpose of these samples is to show how different they are. Some people like one while other people like the other. These pictures might help you decide in the future which way you would want a design to look when you start customizing.
Enjoy and see what you think.

Thanks for posting those grips with the diablo flower medallion. Do you happen to know what the origin of that symbol is? Is there actually a plant called a diablo flower, or is it inspired by something else?

I suppose you're right in that those grips aren't as striking as something with the grain of real wood, but sometimes I'm attracted to simplicity. :)

Discussion starter · #49 ·
Thanks for posting those grips with the diablo flower medallion. Do you happen to know what the origin of that symbol is? Is there actually a plant called a diablo flower, or is it inspired by something else?

I suppose you're right in that those grips aren't as striking as something with the grain of real wood, but sometimes I'm attracted to simplicity. :)
To my knowledge there is a flower called the Diablo. I am posting a picture of one of them. The flower probably inspired the jewelery industry and artist alike. I am not real sure. This is the only photograph I could find and it is called Nimrod Diablo, I think.
Thanks for the reply.
Carl

Discussion starter · #50 ·
These grips are made out of AZ Desert Ironwood and has some burl and contrast. They were good looking grips before I put the US Coast Guard medallion on them. Just look at them, it made all the difference in the world. I just finished them a while ago and couldn't wait to post them for the people to see the difference the medallions make. To me this really makes the grips personal and the grain makes them unique.
Enjoy the scenery.!

Discussion starter · #51 ·
Some time ago I promised to show you a Maltese Cross inlay made out of white tail antler. Here is a picture of the grips. The wood is Macassar Ebony. The Ebony is almost black, it has some very dark brown grain so I cut the cross from the outer section of the point so the inlay would not be so white. It really blends well with the Ebony. I have recently come across some MOP and have worked a set of Maltese crosses out of it. They will be forth coming.
Enjoy the Inlay. If you have any comments, please reply.

Discussion starter · #52 ·
This is an after thought from the previous post. I took a picture of my Springer with those grips on it. Just wanted to show it off.:). I didn't mention the that the thickness of the inlay is roughly 1/8 of an inch or a little less. The ones I made from the Mother Of Pearl will be about 1/16 or just a little over. I have to curve the back of them so they will fit the curve of the grip. I am not sure what wood I am going to put the MOP in. The black Micarta would be really eye catching, but I am not sure if that is what I want or not, any suggestions?
ENJOY!

Discussion starter · #53 ·
I now can build the 1911 Officers Model grips. The Officers Model has a shorter hole pattern than the full size 1911. Here is a set of Dymondwood-Hazelwood that I just finished in the Officers length. They are pretty cool. Actually I think they would also look good quarter sawed, I may try that sometime. This is a beautiful laminate made up of Walnut, Cocobolo, Chestnut, and Natural. This is a shooters grip, it is very hard and durable and looks good to boot.
Enjoy!

Discussion starter · #54 ·
I now have the capability of building grips with the Wilson Combat Magazine speed shoot installed. When the accessory is attached the grip panels have to be relieved a little so they will lay flat on the frame. I ordered one of these to put on my Springer, it works great. If any of you want to know how I mark the area to be relieved, just contact me, I will be more than happy to walk you thru it.
Here is a picture of the part and the link to order.

Discussion starter · #56 ·
That Burl wood sure looks nice, Woodnut. Have you ever made anything using Tiger Maple?
Thanks for the question and looking at my work. I may refer to the wood that you are talking about as Fiddle Back Maple. If so the answer is yes. Here is an example of what I call moderate Fiddle Back. The picture just does not do it. To see the beauty of this wood you must hold it in your hand. It almost looks like you can look deep into the wood. I put a diamond design on these grips and think they turned out really nice. As with any wood block that you are book matching, you just don't know how beautiful it will be until you split it open. Magic happens when the split is made.

Discussion starter · #58 ·
Discussion starter · #59 ·
This is a fine example of how beautiful CA. Buckeye Burl can be. This set has many shades of color and a grain all its own. There is such good contrast in them, thats what makes them pop out so much. I just love working with this kind of wood. The curls are endless. It makes a gun look so different when you put a pair of custom grips on it. Each wood you use will change the look dramatically.
Enjoy!

Discussion starter · #60 ·
Now I have a question. For the last few weeks I have been looking for woods, one in particular, Stabilized Fire Box Elder. If anyone knows a link or a supplier of this kind of wood, would you please let me know. I have seen grips made out of this wood and they are absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to build a set and see how the wood works.
Help!!!!!!!!

41 - 60 of 707 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.