The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a browning medalian 7mm-08. I have a few nicks and scratches in the high gloss finish. None appear to be too deep and the wood seems to be alright, my question is should I just not worry about them or should I strip it down, or is their a way of polishing out the finish. In a couple of small spots the finish has what I can best describe as spidering cracks. The rest of the marks are the result of use over the last 18 years and as I said are light scratches and nicks.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
For just small dents in the stock you can take you a good heavy towel or wash cloth and wet it down, ring it out and literally, put it on an Iron board that you iron out cloths with.

Pre-heat your clothes iron and where the dents are, lay your wet/damp towel over the
dents, one at a time and very carefully, put some heat on the towel to the dent just a bit at a time
and it'll raise the dent back out.
Be careful to not let the iron it's self come in direct contact with the wood/finish.

G

·
I would not steam the high gloss finish of the browning stock. I believe it will fog and or peal/ bubble the finish.

·
Premium Member
18,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would not steam the high gloss finish of the browning stock. I believe it will fog and or peal/ bubble the finish.
Yea that was what I was thinking, I think i'll just leave it alone. thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I have a browning medalian 7mm-08. I have a few nicks and scratches in the high gloss finish. None appear to be too deep and the wood seems to be alright, my question is should I just not worry about them or should I strip it down, or is their a way of polishing out the finish. In a couple of small spots the finish has what I can best describe as spidering cracks. The rest of the marks are the result of use over the last 18 years and as I said are light scratches and nicks.
Auto type polishing compound will help a lot with the scratches. I use a sponge ball polisher on a drill, the type sold to polish wheels. Or doing it by hand works too.

The spider cracks and nicks can be "fixed" with a wipe on Poly finish, Minwax makes a good gloss wipe on Poly finish for this. I would thin it a little with mineral spirits first then rub it into the cracks. You might need to do that a few times to get it flush with the finish. When dry use some 0000 steel wool followed by polishing compound followed by some good auto wax.

The Browning finish is an epoxy type, hard finish but not a favorite of mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts