How To Get Competitions Going In My Area?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by WillieB, Apr 23, 2020.

1. WillieB

WillieB Well-Known Member

I really have the urge to start shooting competitively. More specifically, .22lr competitions. Both steel and rimfire challenge. Unfortunately, the closest events are about 2 hours away from me so it’s not always practical to make it to a match. How would I ho about having NRCA or any of the others to set up matches locally? I know a range can apply to host matches but I don’t happen to own a range. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Well-Known Member

If you know the owner/manager of a range, maybe they will let you set up and start a competition. Our range let Steel Challenge falter for a few years, but a few of us brought it back. We bought the targets and stands and arranged/paid for the insurance. We organize, promote and run our matches. We even put some $$$ into the range treasury. If you want it...do it!

Limbo Jimbo and WillieB like this.

3. WillieB

I don’t know any of the range owners. I haven’t even been to a range since moving back to Iowa. (Probably why I’m developing a nervous tick in my index finger.) To be completely honest, I’m not even sure any of the ranges close by are even still open. We went to one last week and it was closed. Don’t know if it’s because of the Kung Flu or if they closed before that. They haven’t made a post on their Facebook page for more than 2 years.

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Well-Known Member

Then you have some homework to do...

5. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Willie, I used to do things along these lines - but not specifically this. If you want to get a competition started in your area, it will take some grunt work on your part. The first thing is 'where would it happen?' and make an initial contact there.

If you have specific matches in mind, contact those organizations directly. They almost always have a 'chain-of-command' and have officers assigned to organize things like this. The big thing will be to find a suitable range facility nearby that you want to use. Find out who runs/operates that range and talk to them about what you have in mind to do.

I suggest talking to several gun shops/sporting goods dealers in your local area and telling them what you have in mind. Might be a good plan to sit down and put your ideas on paper, make copies and hand them out to folks you talk to about it. Gun shops and dealers would be a great tool to get a large group of people on board with what you are doing. Not only will that help you - you can use this to inform those businesses that what you are planning will boost their sales and revenue.

Another thing you might want to do is to contact a live person at the NRA concerning matches and competitions. They ought to be able to give you 'point-of-contacts' and maybe even assist you in starting something up. Get yourself a notebook and be prepared to take a lot of notes concerning phone numbers, dates and names of contacts, questions asked and answered. Write everything down and don't ever rely on memory.

WillieB likes this.
  6. WillieB

Thank you, gentlemen. I’m gonna start doing a little more digging but I don’t see much happening until this virus panic is over.

howlnmad likes this.