The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
TFFWPP President
13,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's just say a guy had a stainless steel barrel and wanted it to be black on the outside. How can it be done? I've seen appliances in black stainless.

·
Registered
711 Posts
There are numerous chemicals available for blackening stainless steel. Some work at room temperature and some need heat, some are liquid and some gel. Google coloring or blackening stainless steel. I didn't see any processes that you needed the dishwasher for so your silverware is safe, although black silverware would be kind of cool looking...

·
GUNZILLA
6,478 Posts
I know you are serious, but in my lack of experience and intelligence all I can think is a sharpie. On one of my stainless steel heavy barrels AR's there was a bit of condensation I had not noticed and had a rust spot about the size of a dime. After I did the steel wool with Corrosion X you can see a dark gray spot in its place won't come off but it is not pitted. As tango1niner stated maybe a chemical that will form a rust type reaction.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
There are many different types ( qualities ) of stainless steel .
If you get a rust spot on it , then you can most likly blue it just like any other rifle barrel.
Many of the old Savage rifle barrels are stamped Stainless Steel and are hot blued.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
If you are wanting to truly turn the metal black it will take some kind of chemical reaction. I would contact Birchwood-Casey they make a cold blue solution for steel & many other gun finishes. Or you could go with a coating like Cerakote, Duracoat or a new one to me KG Industries.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Depends on the stainless steel. Some will take color (black) and some won't. I got an op rod for my M1A "in the white", went after with Birchwood Casey cold blue and it turned out black. Not black black but real dark. Might consider some spray on stuff that Brownell's sells. Works pretty good but not the "blueing" finish that you may be after. I "have" blued stainless recoil lugs with cold blue and they turned out black.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
What ever you decide, I have some high temperature silicone chamber and muzzle cone shaped plugs I can send you. If you want or need them, PM me.

·
TFF Chaplain
19,729 Posts
Dishwasher.
Actually I have friends who shoot stainless steel BP revolvers. They put them in the dishwasher to clean them after shooting all the time.

·
TFFWPP President
13,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What ever you decide, I have some high temperature silicone chamber and muzzle cone shaped plugs I can send you. If you want or need them, PM me.
Will they work for a 50 caliber?

The reason I ask is because I will soon have 2 AR barrels that are shiny SS. I think it'd be cooler if they were more like black chrome or something similar

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Probably not. The white colored ones measure .495” at the wide end. They will plug the chamber end for 223, 6.8 SPC, 7.62x39, etc.. The red colored ones will plug the muzzle end up .308”.

You could make your own plug by either carving a soft wood dowel to a cone shape or make a mold from something like clay and cast plugs with high temperature silicone.

This is what I have. I got these from a friend who used them to media blast CM steel gun barrels to so as to not ruff the breach and muzzle end, the leaving them inserted for parkerizing. Look either McMaster Carr, or Granger website. This is were my friend bought these.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I have been looking into using Duracoat for the slide on my Walther P22, of which the black oxide finish is worn away on all the edges. The reason I favoring Duracoat is that the P22 has a plastic rear sight that can not be removed from the slide and the Duracoat will fully cure at room temperature. You only need a hair dryer to flash the solvent. Ceracoat has to be baked on at 250*F. Plus with Duracoat, I can do it myself because it comes in a spray can, although after the hardener is activated, you have 48 hours to use it, so I need to find some other things to apply to. I have a Benchmade, Nimravus knife with a black coating that is scratched up that I would like to make pretty again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts