The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,535 Posts
Just because a thing can be done, don't mean you have to do it! And if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like gdmoody I have a question but do not want to offend you.
Why would you take off wood and replace it with plastic?.
It is ugly and does not look like it belongs on the gun.
Mike
Because in the state where I live, liberals try to tell everyone what they can and can't do. We aren't allowed to have pistol grips on semi-autos. So there has been products coming out that work around these laws so we can still have Aks and ARs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in New York and I think it is the same in California. There is other options, I have made videos about them. The spur grip and the NYLAK. All of them don't look that great.

·
Premium Member
9,214 Posts
On ARs all you have to do is put on a Mag lock.
I am also in NY and There are other ways to make them NY safe act compliant.
Just to let you know in NY the Thordsen stocks are considered to be a pistol grip stock and has not been cleared by the state. Because you can still fire it with one hand.
What county are you in?.
And keep in mind the powers to be has put in a bill that will make upstate NY to be excluded from the safe act.
So if I were you and IF you are upstate I would hold off with what you are doing. And if you are in upstate NY then The safe act is NOT enforced by any county but Tompkins county.
Just so you know I have a gun shop and am a gunsmith in Tioga county.
Mike

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
View attachment 117722 View attachment 117721
I'm in NY also, I put in a mag lock on my AR-15 and I know of three local shops that sell AR's with all the extras they are just a pain in the butt to load, because of the locked magazine (but i do save money on ammo) and they are over priced because the big box stores in NY will not sell them with locked mags so compitition is next to nothing. Building Them is fairly cheep-o (buying them complete is a different story).
- I have never owned or built a AK so not as familiar with them.
See my AR-15 in 5.56 Nato above.
also see the mag lock part, easy - even I can install it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am on Long island. And every Gun shop around sells black rain AR15s with thordsens. So I don't really get why you are saying they aren't acceptable. All the shops around me are wrong? Another thing is I was under the impression that nothing was happening to the safe act, and it's here to stay. I was just trying to help people out and show them the options.
In this video they say they won't defund the safe act.

·
Premium Member
9,214 Posts
I am on Long island. And every Gun shop around sells black rain AR15s with thordsens. So I don't really get why you are saying they aren't acceptable. All the shops around me are wrong? Another thing is I was under the impression that nothing was happening to the safe act, and it's here to stay. I was just trying to help people out and show them the options.
In this video they say they won't defund the safe act.
The stock you are talking about has never got a letter of approval from the supreme court of NY. The idea of that part of the safe act is so the gun can not be held with one hand and shot. As long as you can (With any add on) it will not get a letter of approval. If the shops around you have a letter of approval I would like to see a copy. Just because it is being done (Like me adding a Mag Lock) does not mean the courts have approved it.
This does not mean that they are not being sold.(They are sold around here to like that) Just like the Mag lock it also has not gotten the letter of approval but I install them all the time for retail sales. If a state police wants to be a hard butt he can confiscated the gun. Will this happen Probably not (If you were busted for a felony and they saw the gun it will be confiscated and you will be charged on a safe act law) but that does not mean that both meet the standard (and requirements) of the safe act.
The funding for the Safe Act will stay and be used to enforce it In YOUR part of the state.You are too close to the city to see the changes on the safe act. The bill is for upstate NY not you. You are stuck with it because of your location and the mayor of the city. (I think the bill might be for you too it does say dropping it for all but the city). But up here NO ONE pays any attention to it any way (Including the LEOs).
I think what you are doing is great do not take what I say wrong.
I am just letting you know.
I am a law enforcement amour and work with LEO all the time what I have said has been talked about with state LEO and sheriff's department.
The legislation was put in a bill and is being worked on upstate and just was done this past week. I would add the link but do not know how but you can see it on the internet. Just punch in "Dropping the Safe Act in upstate NY".
Your laws next too and in the city are different then out here in the free part of the state. (And the attitudes too about the safe act). The safe act will stay the same for you and the city. SORRY......
The changes are for upstate only.
And one more thing. Why change anything on your gun when all you have to do is put on a Mag Lock?.
Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you Goofy.
Im glad everyone upstate is getting away from this bull****!
Im stuck behind enemy lines.
I am probably going to switch to the NYlak. Probably no letter of approval on that either

·
Premium Member
9,214 Posts
Thank you Goofy.
Im glad everyone upstate is getting away from this bull****!
Im stuck behind enemy lines.
I am probably going to switch to the NYlak. Probably no letter of approval on that either
Yes I am sorry to say because of how close you are to the city you are screwed.
After looking at the NYLAK I would say it is not legal as per the Safe Act.
I want you to look at the Mag lock system for your gun.
You see the Safe Act says that the mag is considered permitly installed if you have to disassemble the gun to drop the mag.
The Mag Lock makes you flip up the upper to drop the mag. and when the upper is open then the gun is disassembled because you can not shoot just the upper with out the lower closed.
This has been looked at by LEO and judges and all that has seen it says that it beets the Safe act rules and is legal and they would not charge on the safe act with this on the gun.
I know the MAG Lock is being used in Cal. to beet there laws too.
BUT
There is no letter of compliance on this either. (NY will not give a letter for anything)
But I (and LEO and judges) say it is the best thing to do to get around the Safe Act.
I have installed them on LEOs personal guns. I have it on all of my ARs.
Now AKs are a different story and the stock you show is as close as to making it legal or as close as you can for a AK.(with out welding the mag in).
Good luck in the war zone you are in.
Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts