How to remove front sight blade from Iver Johnson revolver

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by wpshooter, Jan 6, 2017.

1. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

I have an Iver Johnson 22 Supershot sealed 8 top break 22 caliber revolver.

It has very thin / rounded top front sight blade.

The front sight blade is slightly bent and thus I want to remove it from the barrel to see if I can straighten and then reinstall it.

My question is how to remove the sight blade from the barrel.

I am assuming that the blade channel on the barrel is either beveled or has some other means of retaining the blade in the channel. Is it possible that the blade has some hooking mechanisms that holds it in the channel ?

Do I attempt to remove the blade by tapping it from the front or from the rear ? Is it possible that it can be pulled just straight up and out of the channel by getting a good hold on it and pulling ?

Thanks.

2. Shrek73

Shrek73 Active Member

I believe they were peened in place of each side of the sight. It is not uncommon to see the front sight removed, but I would be hesitant to remove it from one of the more collectable models. How bad is it bent? Post a picture.

3. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

Shrek:

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I mistakenly copied some text from a problem that I was having with another barrel assembly.

On the one that I am now having a problem with (same brand and model of gun but a different barrel assembly - the sight on this one is NOT bent), the problem is that when I look at the front sight it appears to not be exactly centered on the sight rail that runs down the top of the barrel.

The front sight seems to be sitting just slightly to the left side, i.e. I can see a wider portion of the rail on the right side of the sight than on the left side of the sight - not centered on the rail. And this seems true because then I test shot the gun it shot to the right of the POA until I moved the REAR sight slightly to the left, then it shot to POA.

I am just wondering how to go about getting the sight out of the channel (which runs NOT across) but in the same direction as the barrel and rail, to see if the sight is somehow SHIFTED slightly to the left in the channel or if the channel was not cut directly in the center of the rail when the barrel assembly was manufactured.

Thanks.

4. Shrek73

Shrek73 Active Member

Can you post pictures? There were several variations of the Supershot Sealed 8 and different sights on each.

goofy likes this.
  5. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

Shrek:

Hold on !!! On taking a closer look at the sight it is indeed ever so slightly bent but only at the back. The very front of the sight is about as exactly centered on the rail as could be expected.

So, the slight bend at the back makes it look like the sight is not centered on the rail/barrel.

So I still need to know how to remove the sight from the channel (to see if I can get it straightened) - is it tapped out from back or from front ?

It has the square type sight - higher in the back than the front - this Iver Johnson sealed eight is, I believe, the model 834 which has the metal finger rest attached on the front grip strap.

Almost dark here now, so will try to post some photos tomorrow, if the current snow will allow me to.

Thanks.

6. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

DSCF0009.JPG See attached photo - is this sight removed from its channel / groove by tapping on the rear or on the front ? Thanks.

7. Shrek73

Shrek73 Active Member

The barrel is similar to the barrel on my Supershot 9 and the front sight is peened into the channel. The later Supershot Sealed 8's used a pin at the back side of the sight to hold it in place. If there isn't a pin under the rib, I am guessing it is peened in place.

8. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

Shrek:

There is no pin.

So how do I go about getting the sight off of the barrel ?

Thanks.

9. Shrek73

Shrek73 Active Member

I would think it would wiggle out like a tooth forward and back along the length of the barrel. You will risk damaging it when you remove it. When the peen metal they pinch it on both sides so it will stay in place.

Can you take better pictures all around the front sight before you do anything?

10. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

I doubt that I can get any better closeup photo, however, just looking at the sight with my naked eye I can see what I would describe as very tiny scored lines on the surface of the sight rail metal just beside each side of the sight, are these lines from "the peening" ?

Is there any possibility that the channel / groove is "tapered", i.e. smaller on one end or the other and that a corresponding taper on the sight itself is what holds the sight blade tight in the groove ? If this were the case then it would seem that the sight would need to be knocked out in the direction of the larger end of the tapper ?

Thanks.

11. Shrek73

Shrek73 Active Member

Yes the lines you are referring too are from peening. When assembling the barrel, they cut a slot in the end of the barrel for the sight. It placed the sight in the slot an peened or pinched the edges of the slot to keep the sight in place. Once you remove it, there is no guarantee that you can replace it. Sometimes the front sight fell off, other times people removed them or cut them off when shortening the barrel. I would advise against removing it unless absolutely necessary. You have one of the more collectable models.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  12. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

Do you think there is a chance that I might straighten the rear portion of the sight (which is sitting slightly to the left) by putting the sight in a vise with a good straight edge on it and tightening / clamping the vise down on it, don't really think it could hurt ? I think what has happened is that a previous owner (not me - I ask questions before I attempt anything like this) has attempted to remove the sight by tapping on the back of it and bent the back edge slightly to the left, either that or someone dropped the gun and it just happened to hit on the rear portion of the sight blade.

Thanks.

13. Shrek73

Shrek73 Active Member

Can you take pictures of the rear sight. I believe your came with a two way adjustable rear sight.

14. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

The rear sight on my gun IS adjustable for elevation and windage and as I mentioned earlier I can compensate for the slight bend of the front sight by moving the rear sightly slightly off center to the left, however the rear sight on these guns is rather rudimentary, in that, it is simply a detachable sight blade with a small SQUARE hole in the middle of it which you move and is held up against the rear of the frame locking mechanism by tightening the small slotted screw to hold the blade against the rear of the mechanism. Not a very good arrangement by today's standards. Would really like to fix the front sight so that the rear sight does not have to be sitting off to one side of the rear center line of the locking mechanism. Thanks.

15. Shrek73

Shrek73 Active Member

I am not seeing the bend in the front sight that you are talking about. Couldn't you "gently" bend the front sight back with some tape line needle nose pliers. Painting tape on the inside of the pliers will help you scratching the finish.