The Firearms Forum banner

How to stop/capture a 303. british bullet?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Daniel Howard 
#1 ·
So I've made some ballistics gel to test out my hollow points and soft nose .303 British. But here's the problem, I only made one. I have a feeling the bullet is going to go right through it and be lost forever so I want to capture it in something cheaper to attain (like water or sand.) But I don't want to damage the bullet so I can properly study it. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

#3 ·
Wait the sand or the water will deform the bullet? Sorry >.< comprehension skills....

#4 ·
Sand will since it is a harder substance, though I cant say how much. I have never dug anything out of sand or dirt other than FMJs. Water may make it expand or deform a little, but I would not think it would be much after going through gel.

#6 ·
Most forensics experts use water to trap/catch a bullet for comparison... I NCIS's Abby Sciuto does :D

#7 ·
It's hard to capture a bullet. You want to examine a fired hollow point ? It will deform on impact regardless of what it is fired into. Wet paper (phone books or newsprint) can be used, but results on a game animal with bones and so on will be different than what you can test.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.