How to tell if a barrel i silver soldered...

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by The Collector, Dec 27, 2016.

1. The Collector

The Collector Well-Known Member

So, I have a Mosin Sporter that I am unhappy with. I'll be selling off the scope, scope mount, muzzle break, and aftermarket stock and starting over shortly after I finish the blackout project. The test subject is a 1953 Hungarian M44 with the Bayonet removed. One of the first things I plan to do is remove the barrel. I know that the rear sight base is silver soldered on. What is the chance that the barrel threads are silver soldered as well? How can I tell? Can I break the silver solder with torque, or does it need to be heated? I'm ready to invest in a barrel vice and mosin wrench, but I need to know what I am in for. The reason I plan to go to this extent is that I want to eventually build my own 700 in 30.06, but I want some experience pulling apart and putting back together bolt actions first, and this is the gun that I have to work on.

2. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Collector, to say I'm ignorant of Mosin's would be kind however, I have never heard of any barrel being silver soldered into a threaded receiver.

grcsat and goofy like this.

3. rhmc24

rhmc24 Well-Known Member

ditto sharps4590's

4. The Collector

That's good to know. Thanks!

5. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

I have stripped a few types of actions in the past. I have never heard of a barrel being soldered to the action. On really tight barrels sometimes a small relief cut is needed but that is the exeption.

joe45c likes this.
  6. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

Is the sight silver soldered or oven brazed? Silver solder with release with enough force, but heat should be applied to loosen it up. If it's oven brazed (my best guess) a "lot" of heat will have to be applied to get it off. The similarities between the Mosin Nagant are few, they're both bolt guns and that's about it. My experience with Rem 700s is that two screws are all that hold the rear sight on.

7. The Collector

I appreciate you guys taking my question seriously. My question is starting to sound like a stupid question to me, but this will be my first time doing anything more than bedding a bolt gun, so I have no idea. In any case, is there any reading material I should get before doing up a bolt gun in this fashion?

joe45c likes this.
  8. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

I don't know of any offhand but if it were me it would be a case of all I could find!!!

9. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

There are several books available, one of them is Home Gunsmithing Digest, written by Tommy L. Bish, this is available through Amazon. Brownells also have an extensive list of books that deal with home and hobby gunsmithing issues also.