How to write a good letter to your elected official.

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by flannelman, May 2, 2009.

1. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    Here are a few tips for those who may need them...

Your letter does not need to be long and eloquent. You only need to state your position on a particular subject and then tell your rep why they should support or oppose the subject. If it is a particular bill then provide the number and title for them. This shows that you are actually looking at the bill and gives you some credibility and it also gives them heads up on something they might not have seen yet. Don't be rude and keep your comments civil no matter how much you diasgree with the person you are writing too. Inflamatory remarks and derogartory comments only make you look bad and gives the person you are writing to a reason to dismiss your letter. Be sure to use the proper title for who you are writing to in your greeting and be sure to use a proper closing. A well written letter will get much more consideration from you elected official than a hastily written rant.

If there is anyting anyone wants to add to this then feel free.

2. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

+1, flannelman. Thanks for this.

It's my understanding that the shorter letters/e-mails get more attention than the longer ones.

I am also using bold type for key words...for their quick reading, and so it "sticks out" in their minds! One can hope, eh? :)

Also, if possible to do, phone calls are more impacting than e-mails. I find that having notes handy of my brief, key reasons for supporting or opposing, keeps me from getting tongue-tied!

3. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

Addition;

P.S. See it my way, OR ELSE !

:D;)

4. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

So are you saying that when I attach a picture of my middle finger, along with words like, you commie bastard, that isn't a good thing?

:)

5. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

*falling over*

6. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I'd attach a picture of something else:eek::p:p:D:D:D:D

7. oldogy

oldogy New Member

The KISS theory works well for letters. Short, to the point, and not necessarily sweet.
    oldogy

8. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Having contacted my representatives (once or twice ;)) this is what I found.

Generally.
    Your representative will not be the one answering the phone, reading the letters, or emails. They have staffers to do this. Staffers are just people doing a JOB, they are not going to involve themselves with anything they consider to be a waste their time.

If your letter or email starts out with something like, "HEY DUMMY" or "YOU IDIOT" that is all that is going to be read before it hits the recycle bin. If there are a lot of misspelled words, or you are rambling on, excessively long, etc.......chances are it is off to the recycle bin. WITHOUT being completely read.

Short, articulate, with correct grammar and spelling, have the best chance of being read. Don't just slop something together. If you are taking the time to do it, do it well.

The staffers, doing their 9-5 "for the most part" are ONLY going to write down if you are pro or con a particular bill. If you do not include which bill you are addressing, you are wasting YOUR time and theirs. Staffers are not there to do a guessing game, or look anything up.

I found this information out by talking to my share of staffers on the phone. I have asked more than one of them directly if they are just making a mark on a piece of paper, whether you are pro or con, if by phone, letter, or email. "YES" was the answer received. VERY FEW (if any) comments are ever added.

I state pro or con, and maybe a "short" reason why. I do not waste "my" time either. I like a phone call. I talk "to" someone and know that my opinion has been placed on the right subject. When I write letters, I seem to receive the next "re-election" flyer from them, but little else. Emails, more and more are not answered at all, and when they are, it is a form letter MANY TIMES not dealing with the subject matter AT ALL.

9. flannelman

flannelman New Member

My rep from district 4 is better than most about returing a letter or email that is more than just a form letter. I have actually recieved responses from him before. Phone calls are the best way to get your point across to them though. If we all call, write, or email once a week or so then hopefuly the tally marks will start falling in out favor.

10. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

Great advice everybody, thanks.

I hope you know that I was joking about the picture, but sometimes I really do want to send it like that.

11. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Yes I feel like that sometimes too!! It might not be a bad idea for ones own well being!:D

12. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

So basicly i shouldn't start the letter off by saying "Hey, dumb dumb..." :D

mike
    gn

13. XShooter

XShooter New Member

I think the original post should be a "stickie." Thank you for all the good tips on writing to our elected officials.