The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imagine a SHTF or TEOTWAKI event that resembles the Walking Dead or Revolution.

How would you clean brass, swage primer pockets with no electric and what if the batteries in that electronic scale died?

just wanted to discuss it

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
soap and water. That's all my dad did for years and what I did prior to getting my own tumbler. Not as good but does the job!

And you can reload 'em dirty and have them still function quite well for at least a few run throughs.

good thing to think about for having a backup plan though.

·
Registered
17,288 Posts
I loaded for years without a tumbler. Don't let 'em tarnish and you don't need to tumble 'em as much.

I'd swage 'em the same way I do now - RCBS primer pocket swager. Mounts in the press. Works off my arm.

My scale runs on "plug into the wall", not batteries, but if the lightning bugs weren't making juice, I'd take that 10-10 down, that's in the box on the shelf.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Most people have generators around here due to past long term power outages (3 months on generator a couple years back when flood took out miles of tele poles).

Biggest problem would be having the needed supplies. Just consider how the recent shortage has affected some?

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Just wipe up the brass, clean out the primer pocket, and you are ready to reload. I did this for years, before I bought my first tumbler. I already use a beam scale, so no elect. needed.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
i got into casting bullets this year, alot of fun! now i am getting in to swaging, trying to make 10mm/40SW bullets from 9mm cases and lead 357 mag bullets :)

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I too use an old beam scale for most of my reloading. Only reason I even bought an electric was because I needed to measure more than 400 gns, my old Redding tops out there but is accurate as hell. (and a lot older than I am)

I will admit though, the electric is convenient, especially for converting to ounces for shot shell loading.

·
Super Moderator
28,074 Posts
Wow, I might have to go to using a rag, chamfering tool for crimped pockets and a dipper for powder.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Wow, I might have to go to using a rag, chamfering tool for crimped pockets and a dipper for powder.
When I first started that's the way I did it, untill I threw the dipper away! .44 mag, loaded with IMR 4227. Just scoop the case full, place a bullet on top, and cruch it down. Works fine!:D

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
that's why a beam scale and a set of dial calipers is still a good thing.

bras can be cleaned by hand...

·
Registered
725 Posts
Teach the zombies to pick up empty brass....

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
that's why a beam scale and a set of dial calipers is still a good thing.

bras can be cleaned by hand...
I let my wife take care of her own bras. I generally dont clean them at all..... :D:D:D:p

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Well, I reloaded for 12 years before I got a tumbler and didn't wear out any dies and could spot all the defects. In 30 years of reloading I ain't swaged a primer pocket. I have three beam scales but only one digital scale so it wouldn't matter if the batteries die. I also use plain old dial calipers and an analog micrometer. My only problem (if you could call it that) is my casting pot wouldn't be much good w/o power, but I do have 15-18 gallons of propane, and live near a bunch of trees so I could just build a fire...:D

·
Registered
725 Posts
Well, I reloaded for 12 years before I got a tumbler and didn't wear out any dies and could spot all the defects. In 30 years of reloading I ain't swaged a primer pocket. I have three beam scales but only one digital scale so it wouldn't matter if the batteries die. I also use plain old dial calipers and an analog micrometer. My only problem (if you could call it that) is my casting pot wouldn't be much good w/o power, but I do have 15-18 gallons of propane, and live near a bunch of trees so I could just build a fire...:D

THIS ^^^^^

·
TFF Chaplain
20,435 Posts
If I want shiny brass I use the Lee zip-trim and some fine steel wool or scotch-brite pads to polish the outside of the cases. Lee Primer pocket cleaner are about all I use for my brass. I haven't invested in beam scales or dial caliper, but those would be options. As Zhurh says, biggest problem would be supplies, particularly powder and primers. Brass can be reused and heads moulded.

·
Registered
761 Posts
FAST and by eye.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I'm a dinosaur, all my reloading equipment is manual except for the tumbler and I can live without that if I have to. I do have a digital scale but never used it, I have two beam scales that I use out of force of habit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts