Howdy from E Texas

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum' started by Scraggs, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Rothhammer1

Rothhammer1 Well-Known Member

2. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

Welcome Tex from Arizona...I give notice to all the new visitors that I don't know
    much about guns but how much these troops on board TFF know and are always
    so willing to help with aid and assistance on the subject... I will tell you about one
    of our elite military groups beginning with the following ....Chief

The Fighting Seabees (1944) - Trivia - IMDb

www.imdb.com/title/tt0036824/trivia
    1. Cached
    2. Similar
    The Fighting Seabees (1944) Trivia on IMDb: Cameos, Mistakes, Spoilers and more... ... One of the rare times we see John Wayne dancing. .... The bulldozer that John Wayne rides off on to save the day at the end of the movie, named and ...

One Shot likes this.

3. Rothhammer1

Rothhammer1 Well-Known Member

My grandmother went to Glendale High School with Marion Morrison.

In her 1924 annual he signed as 'Jack Wayne' and 'John Wayne' over different photos. His name was Marion Morrison but at that time he was just developing his 'Hollywood' persona.

Morrison would ride a white burro across the ridge to the studios and pick up 'extra' work, stagecraft, ... . Eventually, the story goes, Tom Mix became aware that Morrison was on the GHS football team that was 'going state,' and arranged to get parts for Marion / John Wayne in exchange for season tickets.
    Marion Morrison.jpg
    Marion Morrison, upper left.

Marion Morrison 2.jpg

Marion Morrison 3.jpg
    He was also Class Vice President.

The walk, mannerisms, slow drawl were all learned from stuntman Yakima Canutt.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    rooter and One Shot like this.
  4. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks for the information. We drove by Winslow a couple of times but didn't have time to stop.

5. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

I've told the story numerous times about meeting John Wayne in Culver City, California at
    the Chevy dealership...I was in my navy whites with my little Seabee patch upon my shoulder.
    they were there 'hoop-lalling his new movie , THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY along with the
    Hollywood shindig of the upcoming TV show, ROUTE 66.. He spotted the Seabee and just
    kind of roared in his special fashion...."WHERE THE HELL YOU FROM, SEABEE"? When I
    gasped out Greeley, Iowa we were buddies...I'm about 5'9" but I swear I come up to that
    big cowboy belt buckle he was wearing...of course, it didn't last but a few moments but I
    have never forgotten it! chief
    The life story of John Wayne began in the small central Iowa town of Winterset. He was born Marion Robert Morrison on May 26, 1907, the son of Clyde and Mary Brown Morrison. His father, Clyde, was a pharmacist who worked on the south side of Winterset's historic town square.

Rothhammer1 likes this.