Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Howell Percussion Pocket Pistols

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CountryGunsmith, Mar 2, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

John Lawson
    (9/3/02 6:32:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Pair of percussion overcoat posket pistols
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a pair of overcoat pistols, .45 caliber smoothbore, percussion locks, imitation damascus pattern on barrels marked on barrel "London" and on the side lock plates W T Howell NC and what may be a superscript lower case h. Very minimal engraving on trigger guard, sideplate, hammer. While these look like a pair, all parts were made freehand and nothing interchanges. Silver cap box in butts. Stock wood looks like cherry.
    I need to know the value for insurance purposes. Can anyone help?

astute observer
    (12/6/02 9:06:56 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Pair of percussion overcoat posket pistols
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The pistols you describe were no doubt made in London and imported here by WILLIAM T HOWELL & CO of Philadelphia, PA. Howell is listed in Philadelphia City Directories from 1834 through 1847, and was successor to Thomas Howell, who is listed there as early as 1824.

It is always difficult to put a value on one of a kind hand made guns...sight unseen. Right offhand I would say that if they are in reasonably good condition they should be worth around $ 500 each, or $1000 for the pair.